1989 Johnson 15 h.p. won't stay running

OHBandit

Cadet
I have a 89 Johnson 15 h.p. that I bought for a kicker motor. The motor will start & run if you choke it but when you take it off choke it will fall flat like it's not getting fuel.

When I got the motor the top cover on the carb that houses the idle adjustment had a crack in it. I figured this was the problem so I replaced the cover and tore the carb apart, cleaned it and put everything back together. It still acts the same. My thinking is it isn't getting enough fuel or it is sucking air from somewhere. Do you think it could be a fuel pump?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: 1989 Johnson 15 h.p. won't stay running

If there was an air leak into the fuel line, if there was restriction to the fuel flow between tank and pump or if the pump was faulty I would not expect the choke to make any difference, at least no more than a temporary improvement. Pumping the bulb should over come a defective pump and probably air ingress into the fuel line too. A restriction in flow between tank and bulb would show as a tendency for the bulb to be sucked flat and not behave normally during priming.
The more likely causes IMHO are an air leak on the engine side of the carb (eg a dodgy gasket) or that the carb is still not properly cleaned or adjusted

OHBandit

Cadet
Re: 1989 Johnson 15 h.p. won't stay running

I picked up a carb rebuild kit and a fuel pump rebuild kit just to see. They are cheap and I figure it can't hurt.

The bulb seems to stay pumped. I even tried pumping it while the motor was running thinking that would overcome the possibility of a bad fuel pump. By the way...I have the fuel hose stuck down in a 1 gal. can of gas. Can't see why that would cause a problem...just thought I'd mention it.

As for carb. adjustment....what is there other than the idle adjustment on top through the carb. cover that I just replaced. The instructions said to screw it in until it seated and back out 2 1/2 turns for a starting point.