Poor Man's Skiboat...Restore?

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Poor Man's Skiboat...Restore?

I almost lost my hull today or at least created a ton more repair work. WHen I flipped the hull back over it slipped and went over fast and hard slamming into the walls of my garage. Luckily the only damange to the paint was where the engine hoist dug into the bow and left a 4" long scratch. I was not standing anywhere around the boat, but it still scared the crap out of me.

I will post pictures later.

I have tons of adhesive removal to do on the sides of the hull before the paint can go down :(

Moodrid

Cadet

Perhaps if you picked up the phone and called a friend over to help it might flip a little easier.:)

system-f

Perhaps if you picked up the phone and called a friend over to help it might flip a little easier

I understand the smiley and am trying to take the comment in jest...sort of, but it wasn't really necessary.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jay, I would never ask for you to drive this far to help, though I would do the same for you, so I understand. Thanks

I had no problems with the first flip and didn't plan to have any this time. It just shows how not paying attention can get you. On another note, the transom hoist and engine jack did not BUDGE while the boat was on its orbit around the centerline. In fact had there been a helper they might have been hit very hard and I would rather have to repair a 4" scratch than take someone to the hospital.

Friscoboater

Captain

Just wanted to let you know I am here is you need me. I drove to south Fort Worth for that parts boat, so no worries. If you van post the pictures of the damage.

system-f

I have pictures of everything, have just been busy with the boat.

Last night I started cleaning the old adhesive off the inside of the hull and did some test painting with my gun and rustoleum flat white. I still have some more fiberglass work to do and the plan is to finish with the extra grinding/fiberglass work by this wekeend and get the gastank reinstalled ready for the cap to come back on for the last time.

My tax return did turn out to be a little more than I expected which is going to make some options more easily obtainable.

I really want to have the boat running and in the water by March 12th with interior and topside body/paint left.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Keith,
Good luck on hitting your goal.
Just don't push to hard, I know you will want it to be right.
Good luck
Bob

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Catching up on your thread for the last couple of days. Glad you're OK. I wondered about the bow support on the first flip. For the life of me I couldn't have come up with a better way though.

I'm with you though, I do a lot of stuff by myself too. Some people say I'm to proud to ask, but I thing it's cause I don't trust anyone else to do it right.

You're doing a great job! Keep it up.:D

Man, it's snowing again here:mad:

system-f

Sorry about the snow. I think the cold weather is coming are way again, too.

I am going to list off the items I need to purchase before the boat can be running on the water. This will help me remember and give you guys an idea of the money I have to spend.

-Bellows kit with gimbal bearing
-Shift cable kit
-hydralic line from reverse lock to distribution block
-hydralic line from pump to distribution block
-3 lines from block to trim cylinders
-gasket for distribution block to gimbal housing
-gasket for gimbal housing to transom
-tap to install new cable
-flexi tool for bellows clamps
-special socket for shift cable
-exhaust bellows expansion tool <- think i can build this one
-Teleflex controls with cables
- Captain's chair
- water temp gauge and sending unit
- Oil pressure gauge
- 2nd battery with relay type isolator
- White vinyl
-wood for the interior
-black bimini top
-Harmonic balancer

Did I forget anything?

system-f

I finally have some new pictures.

Here is the start of the flip. I haven't painted the transom yet because it needs some more glass work with the cap.

100_1591_small.jpg

Here is the engine hoist as this thing comes around.

100_1593_small.jpg

And here is the scratch I am going to have to repair. Thank goodness easypoxy touches up nicely. I also have some spots on the rear that need another coat...not due to the accident.

100_1596_small.jpg

Another layer of 1708 on the front upper deck.

100_1597_small.jpg

Here I am laying out some 7oz cloth for the last deck covering.

100_1599_small.jpg

system-f

I just got done building another lift point. The rafter behind the old one the strap is hanging from . Two 2x6s over a 10ft span. Should be good for 300lbs.

100_1600_small.jpg

And the deck is covered. WOW 7oz cloth is SUPER easy to wet out.

100_1602_small.jpg

BobsGlasstream

Commander

system-f,
It looks like that paint came out pretty nice. Sorry you have to repair some of it.
How many times are you planing to flip it?
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

At least someone is making progress around here. Nice work man.

system-f

Hopefully it is keel down for the last time. Tomorrow we are going to put the cap back on it and it will be suspended by a pulley system so I can line up the gastank and 'hover' the cap over the hull while I lay down 4200 around the edge. From there I will be working on getting the boat running.

I removed the gimbal bearing today and it was super easy to pop out. I guess having your gimbal housing off the boat makes working on the bellows/gimbal a little too easy...almost like cheating. It is strange: it looks like the water intake hose was never replaced and almost rubbed through. The bellows and shift cable were also very very old, but nothing ever leaked except the exhaust bellows.

thrillhouse700

UGH!!!! I'm sorry about the flip man!!!! When ours was in the garage and we were prepping it for paint we were rolling it back in and the rear half fell.

We put it on wheeled folding saw horses and either myself or lost didnt bother checking to see it the saw horse was locked in the open position :( Needless to say Lost's love of the boat almost cost him his fingers but he did save the boat :)

That was one of our biggest fears when flipping the boat over, the fact that once it was passed its center point it would gain speed when flipping. We hit ours on the flip too but it was before the paint so I know your pain.

Either way tho your paint came out looking pretty solid. We have run out of some funds so we haven't touched ours in a couple weeks.

Friscoboater

Captain

I guess I will replace my gimble bearing to since I have it off. How did you pop it out?

system-f

I pulled the snap ring off using harbor freight snap ring pliers and put a screw driver around the edge then pounded around the inside of the bearing until it popped out. It didn't take much to get it out since your engine is out it should be as easy.