pinfish

GRAVYTRAIN

Cadet
went out today off sanibel island stopped at three different markers but couldnt find any pinfish.partner caught a pompano keeper and a little shark at one spot. anyone have an idea where the bait was today?

Fly Rod

Commander
Re: pinfish

Hello GravyTrain.
Don't know anything about your bait situation since I'm not from the area.
How has the fishing been around there. I was down Sannibel back in May and did someTarpon fishing. Fishing was great and looking to go back next May.

Good luck fishing.

GRAVYTRAIN

Cadet

hello flyrod.
im probably not the one to ask because im not having much luck since i got my boat. i still havent brought home a keeper grouper yet and i got my boat a year ago!cant afford gas to go out much and yesterday couldnt even find the pinfish. but i wont give up because i love going out and trying! good luck with your tarpon trip.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

If you are looking around the markers, you are probably looking for greenbacks. The pinfish hang out on the bottom ad can be caught with sabiki rigs. If the fishing is slow, try putting some squid on the tips of the hooks. You can also bring up some squirrelfish, which grouper really love.
Right now with the weather hot, you have to be fishing really good tides and deep water. If you are inshore 60' or less it will be hit and miss.
Also remember the pattern...start with cut squid and catch the KeyWest grunts first. That stirs the bite up a bit and then use cut bait, even cut up grunts. Finally offer up some big greenbacks, squirrelfish or pinfish. If the grouper don't show you can at least get some shark interested with all that cut bait. Keep us posted and good luck!

GRAVYTRAIN

Cadet

If you are looking around the markers, you are probably looking for greenbacks. The pinfish hang out on the bottom ad can be caught with sabiki rigs. If the fishing is slow, try putting some squid on the tips of the hooks. You can also bring up some squirrelfish, which grouper really love.
Right now with the weather hot, you have to be fishing really good tides and deep water. If you are inshore 60' or less it will be hit and miss.
Also remember the pattern...start with cut squid and catch the KeyWest grunts first. That stirs the bite up a bit and then use cut bait, even cut up grunts. Finally offer up some big greenbacks, squirrelfish or pinfish. If the grouper don't show you can at least get some shark interested with all that cut bait. Keep us posted and good luck!

thanks for the advice triumphrick,usually i dont have any problem getting pinfish at this marker in the grass flats. never tried sabikis i will give it a try though.thanks for the reply and good luck to you.