omc tilt problem

79larson

Cadet
79 omc 800 stringer tilt problem, out drive will not come down, i have the tilt motor off, hammerblow coupler out, clutch pack case off,full of water, shouldnt i be able to push the outdrive down, it seems like its jammed, oh and i stood on the outdrive while we hit the down button, it still wouldnt move, so i started taking things apart, i do have seloc and clymers manuals, and have done searches on this subject, outdrive worked great for 3 runs on the lake just happened

supercab78

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: omc tilt problem

If your setup is the same as my 1975 omc, unbolt the large 1/4 ring gear and remove it while someone is holding up on outdrive. If it comes down then you know it's something to do with the lift system. Maybe the small gear is cocked a little crooked in the housing & won't turn.

parrisw

Ensign

If its full of water replace the seal where the gear comes out of the tilt gear.

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

Did you ever get this figured out? I have the exact same problem w/ my '79 OMC 800. It is completely random too. It will work fine for several trips to the lake and then all of a sudden will get stuck either in up or down. All you can hear is the solenoids clicking as you hit the switch. The only solution I have found is to remove the quadrant gear and move the outdrive manually, then re-bolt the quadrant gear.

parrisw

Ensign

I just had this problem on mine, it was the outer seal that was gone, and water go driven in there, forcing the oil-water mix up the worm gear shaft all the way up to the tilt motor, and actually filled the tilt motor with oil/water. I put in a new tilt motor, new tilt solenoids, new seals/o-rings/gasket on the tilt transmission.

I suggest pulling your tilt motor out and check to see if its filled with oil/water.

79larson

Cadet

just an update, put in a new seal in the clutch housing, cleaned and soaked clutch pack in oil, bought a new tilt motor, checked voltage at the motor, alls good, goes down great a little slow coming up, im wondering if the tilt quadrant gear ( 1/2 moon shaped) might be mis aligned alittle sounds like its binding somewhere, charging the batterys now so the are full charge, ill update later, ps also cleaned all connections

parrisw

Ensign

just an update, put in a new seal in the clutch housing, cleaned and soaked clutch pack in oil, bought a new tilt motor, checked voltage at the motor, alls good, goes down great a little slow coming up, im wondering if the tilt quadrant gear ( 1/2 moon shaped) might be mis aligned alittle sounds like its binding somewhere, charging the batterys now so the are full charge, ill update later, ps also cleaned all connections

It'll always go down faster then coming up!

WizeOne

Commander

As parrisw stated above, totally normal. Just be sure when you lower it that you 'bump' the toggle down in several steps. NEVER just run it straight down with a slam.

cr2k

Captain

The drive wont come down because it is locked by the worm gear that turns the clutch pack.

As stated the tilt clutch housing leaks. Get used to it as it is part of life with a stringer mount.
Also as stated the oil (floats on the water) will end up in the motor. The oil will soften the insulation on the windings and short out the motor.

Solution, aside from resealing the tilt clutch cavity, check it OFTEN for water. Like every time you come home from the water. Just drain and refill with oil. Keeping the oil low in the system and not in the motor.

Other problems with motor...clicking solenoids, probably bad brushes in the motor or rusted/corroded brush guides not allowing the brushes to contact the armature. Tap the motor with a hammer (lightly) and see if it frees up the brushes. If so you will be needing to replace the motor soon.

Although hard to find..Every little plastic washer is very important to the operation of the system. Leave one out and you will potentially have problems.
There are 2 sizes. They are very thin and one wouldn't think they would do much but they do.

Also check the worm gear for wear.

Last edited:

Quack Addict

Cadet

Did you ever get this figured out? I have the exact same problem w/ my '79 OMC 800. It is completely random too. It will work fine for several trips to the lake and then all of a sudden will get stuck either in up or down. All you can hear is the solenoids clicking as you hit the switch. The only solution I have found is to remove the quadrant gear and move the outdrive manually, then re-bolt the quadrant gear.

It's been many moons since I ran an OMC, but check the larte 50A glass fuses on top of the engine. I had a problem exactly like you describe and it turned out to be an intermittent connection caused by one of the glass fuses. The solder joint between the fuse filament and one of the metal caps had broken. The tilt pump would click but the fuse wouldn't pass enough current to make the pump operate. It took a while to troubleshoot that one; the fuses looked A-OK, I just happened to notice one of the caps was loose as I was pulling the fuse out for some reason.

ALWAYS carry a couple extra glass fuses with you.

79larson

Cadet

It's been many moons since I ran an OMC, but check the larte 50A glass fuses on top of the engine. I had a problem exactly like you describe and it turned out to be an intermittent connection caused by one of the glass fuses. The solder joint between the fuse filament and one of the metal caps had broken. The tilt pump would click but the fuse wouldn't pass enough current to make the pump operate. It took a while to troubleshoot that one; the fuses looked A-OK, I just happened to notice one of the caps was loose as I was pulling the fuse out for some reason.

ALWAYS carry a couple extra glass fuses with you.
thats where im headed today, run thru all the electical connections, its still an intermitant problem,

parrisw

Ensign

Solution, aside from resealing the tilt clutch cavity, check it OFTEN for water. Like every time you come home from the water. Just drain and refill with oil. Keeping the oil low in the system and not in the motor.

Good tips, but hard to do this when your boat lives in the water for the summer.

79larson

Cadet

after doing everything in the above posts, i was still having the intermitent problem, i purchased 2 new solenoids for the up and down, and also found the blade plugs were loose fitting on the switch itself, cleaned all ground and connections again, seems to work fine now, so after new seals inthe clutch housing a new tilt motor and two new solenoids, im not exactly sure which part fixed it, boat(bring out another thousand)

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

after doing everything in the above posts, i was still having the intermitent problem, i purchased 2 new solenoids for the up and down, and also found the blade plugs were loose fitting on the switch itself, cleaned all ground and connections again, seems to work fine now, so after new seals inthe clutch housing a new tilt motor and two new solenoids, im not exactly sure which part fixed it, boat(bring out another thousand)

LOL @ your statement about "boat". Too true. I am happy to report that I was able to fix the tilt problem w/ my OMC 800. Good luck to you sir.

parrisw

Ensign

Glad to hear you got it fixed, now you know, its all good, I just did all mine. And am happy that I know, its all new in there, and should be good for a long while. That's the first time we've had to fix the tilt, and we've had the boat in the family for a little over 20 years.