350 mercruiser

eugene1e

Cadet
I just bought a boat that came with a 350 mercruiser but the motor has a crack in it from where it was not winterised right and its leaking water my first ? is can this be fixed my second ? is I have a brand new 350 crate motor I got for a truck that im not using what if any are the diffrence's in these motors would like to get one of them going

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Re: 350 mercruiser

Depends where the crack is. Water jacket to the exterior of the engine in a non-stressed aera people have had good results using a JB weld type product. If you have water in the oil its time to put that crate engine to work. You can search for threads on the differances between auto and marine engines, short or long block wise the core plugs are the main consern.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..........

And,.... The Vintages are Very Important.........

MelLandry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Year of the boat engine, year range (style/vintage) of the crate engine?

eugene1e

Cadet

Year of the boat engine is a 79 not sure what you mean by (style/vintage) of the crate engine? the year of the crate engine is 84

180shabah

Rear Admiral

'79 and '84 are the same vintage. make sure you have the brass core plugs and use marine carb, ignition, starter and alternator.
Then fire it up and get on the water.

eugene1e

Cadet

180shabah said:
'79 and '84 are the same vintage. make sure you have the brass core plugs and use marine carb, ignition, starter and alternator.
Then fire it up and get on the water.

I was told I had to take everything out of the marine block and put in the auto block is this correct if not what would you guys recomand I use off the marine block

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

Then fire it up and get on the water. null

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

eugene1e said:
I was told I had to take everything out of the marine block and put in the auto block is this correct if not what would you guys recomand I use off the marine block

Everything but the long block. And remember as stated the core (freeze) plugs need to be changed to brass. From the long block up (block crank, heads, pistons, valve train, cam and timing gear,ect) EVERYTHING else must come from the marine engine including the oil pan and dip stick and tube assembly. You need to be sure ALL the bolt on systems are USCG approved.

Bondo

Staff member

eugene1e said:
Not to sound like A dummy but just want to get this right I can take the truck motor change the carb, altnater, starter, oilpan, valvecovers, freezepluges, dipstick, but I dont need to chage the heads, cam, crank, are pistons, correct like I said sorry for all the dumb ?s

Ayuh,.......... Exactly,........... This Is the Way.........

eugene1e

Cadet

Not to sound like A dummy but just want to get this right I can take the truck motor change the carb, altnater, starter, oilpan, valvecovers, freezepluges, dipstick, but I dont need to chage the heads, cam, crank, are pistons, correct like I said sorry for all the dumb ?s

eugene1e

Cadet

is there some kind of micro film that i can look at to see a break down of my lower unit I beleive I have a bad seal becouse there was a little oil in the upper bellow

eugene1e

Cadet

is there some kind of micro film that i can look at to see a break down of my lower unit I beleive I have a bad seal becouse there was a little oil in the upper bellow

calwldlif

Petty Officer 1st Class

The camshaft in the original
marine motor should be used in the truck block.
Check the heads, CC and valve sizes.
Check crank for material it is made from.
2 1/2 cents from me:love:

eugene1e

Cadet

this is the info I get for the heads when I look them up still working on the crank and cam

14096217...55-86...350..........Crate motor, 285hp/300hp, 64cc chambers,
72' or 90' center intake manifold bolt angles

Bondo

Staff member

The camshaft in the original
marine motor should be used in the truck block.
Why,..??........
A Truck Grind is So Close to a Marine Grind,......You can Not tell Any Differences,+ It'll Work Just Fine..........
Check the heads, CC and valve sizes.
Again,....... Why,..??.....
The Heads match the Block that their Bolted Too.........
No Concerns There Either...........
Check crank for material it is made from.
Once Again,......... Why,..??.....
I'm Positive,.... It's Nodular Iron,.......
Just like the 1 in the motor he's Removing.........

Btw,........ Gene,....
You've used this thread to find Info about your Engine,...
The Title of your thread is "350 mercruiser".....
You're moving Off Topic by asking about your Outdrive,........
You'll get Much Better Replies if you start a New Thread about your Drive........

Good Luck..........