CARBS - To soak or not to soak

CED8ED

Seaman Apprentice
I have an 86 30hp evinrude that I need to rebuild the carb on. Is it OK to soak it overnight in Kleen-flo carburetor and metal parts cleaner? I have read conflicting information on this and was hoping one of the experts on here would clarify. Thanks in advance.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: CARBS - To soak or not to soak

It is o.k. and sometimes needed to soak the carbs overnight in parts cleaner to get all of the crud out of them, make sure to open up as many passages as you can then blow everything out with a compressor.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am not familiar with the Kleen-flo brand, but if you mean the 1 gal cans with the basket inside then yes it is fine to soak them over night. Disasemble the carb and pull the jets out and then just put the metal parts in the solution as it will eat the plastic ones. Only sure way I know of to get a carb clean. Use a small wire in the jets and blow everything out good and put it back together with new kits and you should be good to go.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The factory service manuals warn not to soak the newer carburetors because they are treated with a porosity sealant. Must be a BRP "improvement". I suppose you take your chances. If there was a porosity in a critical area and you remove the sealer you just lost a carburetor.

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer

The factory service manuals warn not to soak the newer carburetors because they are treated with a porosity sealant. Must be a BRP "improvement". I suppose you take your chances. If there was a porosity in a critical area and you remove the sealer you just lost a carburetor.

That's the same thing my instructor told us in his outboard repair class!

Also, see this recent posting ... http://forums.iboats.com/showpost.php?p=2102741&postcount=3

James R

Commander

I sincerely hope that BRP engineers read this forum.
They still can't get it right. Porosity indeed!
I am now trying an ultrasonic cleaner with heated detergent/water solution.
We will know soon enough.
The Gunk product 1gallon can carb cleaner has had no effect on plastic in the older carbs. Don't know about the newer "plastic" carbs.

CED8ED

Seaman Apprentice

What is their definition of newer?

CED8ED

Seaman Apprentice

Has anyone out there lost a carb after having soaked it?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

What is their definition of newer?

I don't have a bunch of late model books, But the warning is in the 1988 Evinrude factory service manual that I do have.