Collectible Gun?

mscher

Lieutenant
I have a Sears J.C. Higgins 12GA (583.16) bolt shotgun from the 50's. The stock mounting screwsis worn enough that the barrel/trigger pushes against the stock, so the trigger won't work. It could be esaily fixed, putting in wood filler, or silicone. Otherwises, it's a decent gun, but looks to be 60+ years old, although the trigger is a bit light.

Anyway, while searching for info, I found that these guns are subject to a Sears saftey recall, where the possibility that the bolt latch assembly can come loose and strike th operator.

According to the press release, if approved, I'd simply send in the bolt and get $160 and keep the rest of the gun, which of course would be inoperable.

Anyone know if this gun is of interest to collectors and therfore worth more than $160? It's realized, that this was a "cheap gun" to start with.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Re: Collectible Gun?

A good dealer would know about the safety recall and give you zero for the gun. An uninformed buyer might give you $100 and a knowledgeable buyer would likely offer $50.

I'd take the Sears check if it were me! ;)

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

A good dealer would know about the safety recall and give you zero for the gun. An uninformed buyer might give you $100 and a knowledgeable buyer would likely offer $50.

I'd take the Sears check if it were me! ;)

Been a "Gun Trader" for many years & the above is being kind :rolleyes:

Grab the money and run. Hate to say it but its worth very little. Being old doesnt make stuff worth more alot of the time. I have a book printed in 1700 and its worth only 2 0r 3 hundred. Its the real thing

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Agree..The JC Higgins line from Sears were very low end shotguns sold for years and are really not scarce (mass produced) & low end quality. I believe new that shotgun was in the 10.00 range if that.

Now an old Parker could fetch upper 30 to 50K!!!:eek:

mscher

Lieutenant

Sears now only offers a $50 gift card, for turning in the bolt.

They can shove it.

Since it's over 70 years old, It will become my first collector gun. :)

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

Agree..The JC Higgins line from Sears were very low end shotguns sold for years and are really not scarce (mass produced) & low end quality. I believe new that shotgun was in the 10.00 range if that.

Sears/J.C.Higgins had firearms made from the lowest bidder. Every year the bid process was repeated.

I had a J.C.Higgins in .30-06 that I traded even up for a brand new Winchester model 70 in .270 weatherby caliber with a 4-12x scope.

My particular J.C.Higgins was made by Fabrique National ( F.N. ) and was a very desirable gun.

Have a Blue Book of gun values ? ( buy a used one from ebay ) You can find out who manufactured the gun and then determine if it's worth more than the check from Sears

KRS

Banned

Some of the old bolt guns had longer barrels... they make great Sandhill Crane guns.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Gunbroker.com is an auction site similar to ebay, except for firearms and related. One sold over there for $48.00, another for $95.00, another for $74.50. That might give you some idea of the value.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

KRS, I don't know about Arizona, but Sandhill Cranes are federally protected down here. I understand they are tasty, though. I'm sure you meant to say crows.

Bifflefan

Commander

I would clean it and keep it in a good safe place where it wont rust, then in another 70 years it may be worth something.

KRS

Banned

KRS, I don't know about Arizona, but Sandhill Cranes are federally protected down here. I understand they are tasty, though. I'm sure you meant to say crows.

NO, you can get 2 sandhill crane permits each year (it's a draw). The local game & fish guy is a die-hard hunter of S.C., he calls them "ribeye in the sky" because they have a firm red meat.

KRS

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If all Sears is offering is 50 bucks, I would save it as is for a wall hangar. If you wanted to fix it up, parts should be available online from someone like Numrich (e-gunparts.com)