Water fountain at stern

8x56mn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post or not, but this is my problem. I have a 1981 Sting Ray with a 140 I/O MC. When I'm goping along at crusise say around 3000 or even below I get this large fountain of water shooting up from the rear of the boat about 3 feet high, doesn't seem to matter how the plane is set. Last night I noticed while coming back home that it did not, I was traveling around 12 MPH at the time. Can anyone tell me what's causing this and is it nornal, seems like a lot of water. I do have a trolling buddy, but it's in the raised position when this occurs. Could this be from the exaust?

mattttt25

Commander
Re: Water fountain at stern

i would first be absoultely certain your trim is working properly and the drive is lowered when you think it is.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

If you have a buddy with another boat, have him follow you and take a peek...

rottenray6402

Ensign

It's possible it is how the water is flowing around the trolling plate at that speed. I would remove the plate and see if it goes away. The plate could have an edge or something out of place creating the firehose effect.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Seaman, My mercruiser-powered boat always has some spray in the stern area. I would have someone drive the boat, and carefully look over the transom to see what causes it. Check for the speedo pickup and any depthfinder transducers you may have, as sometimes they cause that.

NBE

Petty Officer 1st Class

A large-sized transducer will throw up spray a good bit too. I have one on the back of my boat that is about 3" wide and 3" long and it was a little bit lower in the water than it should have been. It shot up spray several feet in the air to say the least.

If you have a transducer or something similiar mounted on the rear of your boat you may want to check that.

8x56mn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

nefferso said:
A large-sized transducer will throw up spray a good bit too. I have one on the back of my boat that is about 3" wide and 3" long and it was a little bit lower in the water than it should have been. It shot up spray several feet in the air to say the least.

If you have a transducer or something similiar mounted on the rear of your boat you may want to check that.

Well the spray seams to be coming from the center of the transom and is about 3 feet wide and 3 feet high.

mattttt25

Commander

is it really 3' high? that would be higher than the transom itself. if so, i would think it has to be your drive, i can't imagine a small transducer doing that.

hiflyer

Seaman Apprentice

trim to high, or something bent up on drive unite, check all flat surfaces, anit cav plate ect, for a bent area. Hows the bottom of the transom underneath??

8x56mn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hiflyer said:
trim to high, or something bent up on drive unite, check all flat surfaces, anit cav plate ect, for a bent area. Hows the bottom of the transom underneath??

Well the boat is docked and the water in the canal is very murky due to all the rain lately, so I realy can't look at the bottom or drive. I have never hit anything, so I don't no what could be bent. I'm thinking perhaps that it has something to do with the trim perhaps being up. The boat planes very well and seems to run relaxed with no lugging when I raise the trim up. I will have to test that theory next time out to see if running up causes it. Only other thing that I cabn think of is the trolling buddy plate could be doing it when the drive is raised.

studlymandingo

Commander

Is the AV plate out of the water when you are running?

Sounds like fun for skiiers!

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i have a trolling bplate on my boat also and when in the raised position it throws the water up just like yours ,no problem dont worry about it atall.