drain plug replacement

Andy in NY

Commander
i thought i might get more traffic here rather than posting in my thread...

im ready to replace the drain plug tubes. they will need to be 3 1/16" long x 1" OD. any advice/suggestions?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: drain plug replacement

Drill the hole, seal the exposed ply with epoxy, and install one of these stainless steel garboard drains. Doubt you will ever have a problem again. At at $15, its well worth the price.

7-2366.jpg

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

Drill the hole, seal the exposed ply with epoxy, and install one of these stainless steel garboard drains. Doubt you will ever have a problem again. At at $15, its well worth the price.

7-2366.jpg
I bought a garboard drain as a replacement and it was short by 1/4". I haven't installed it yet, I don't know if I should take it back or just seal the exposed 1/4 wood with epoxy like Mark said.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

what happened to the old one?

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I bought a garboard drain as a replacement and it was short by 1/4". I haven't installed it yet, I don't know if I should take it back or just seal the exposed 1/4 wood with epoxy like Mark said.

what do you mean by short a 1/4"? Like round? The hole is bigger on the transom than the garboard?

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

The original poster has an aluminum boat that came with the tube for the expanding rubber drain plug. It would be a mistake IMO to put in the screw in type drain. Besides, he didn't say if he needed it for the bilge drain or the splashwell drain. From his post, I'm guessing he's doing both splashwell and bilge drains.

escapade

Petty Officer 1st Class

why do you say it would be a mistake to put in a screw type drain??

erikgreen

Captain

Many of the aluminum boats use the rubber expanding type plugs. I think he's saying it'll work better to just use another one of those to plug the hole.

Attaching a stainless drain to an aluminum boat for underwater use is going to cause corrosion issues plus it'll be less than easy to install it in the first place since he's lacking the ability to attach to a thick transom.

Erik

PS: Andy, if you really need to replace the tubes themselves, you should probably weld them in place or at least tack them, then use quikalumin or gray marine text to hold them in the rest of the way and seal them.

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

what do you mean by short a 1/4"? Like round? The hole is bigger on the transom than the garboard?
The new transom was made out of two sheets of 3/4 ply which would give me 1-1/2 inch transom and with the outer hull skin and glass, the new bilge drain tube comes up about a 1/4 inch short. The hole is not bigger just the thinkness.

Forgive me Andy, I didn't mean to hijack your thread:redface:

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

The link I posted is for 1" diameter, 6" long drain tubes. Should be plenty. Cut off excess and go.

Reason I say it is a mistake to put the threaded on is for a few reasons.

First, it ain't the way it was originally made.

Second, you put a hole through the transom (already installed I assume) and then jus screw a plate to the outside. What this does is leave the inside diameter of the hole through the wood exposed to water. The end grain of that exposed wood will soak it up like a sponge. The tube seals the end grain. You could fiberglass the inside of the hole through the wood, but if my suspiscion is correct that would be a PITA with the transom already installed.

Third, I actually prefer the expanding rubber plugs over the screw in types.

Fourth, as I said befor I think he is talking about replacing the splashwell tubes also. For that you need to seal the inside of the hole, so the tubes would be better for the reasons above.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Andy is working on a starcraft there is no wood at the bottom of the transom so either type would work mine are pvc and tie into my bilge.

Rick

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The new transom was made out of two sheets of 3/4 ply which would give me 1-1/2 inch transom and with the outer hull skin and glass, the new bilge drain tube comes up about a 1/4 inch short. The hole is not bigger just the thinkness.

Forgive me Andy, I didn't mean to hijack your thread:redface:

I wouldnt think its a hijack. It is info mation! I am glad you brought that up actually because I am going to be in the same boat. My tranny is 1.5" wood and almost 1/2" in glass...it wouldnt work for me either...even if it was a hijack, thanks for the heads up!

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Andy is working on a starcraft there is no wood at the bottom of the transom so either type would work mine are pvc and tie into my bilge.

Rick

Which would lead me to believe he is talking about the splashwell tubes which do go through wood and would remain open. If this is the case the tubes are the best choice IMO, and the threaded wouldn't make sense anyway.

Andy in NY

Commander

they are for the splashwell only. th bilge is still intact. i think i may go with the one mark posted a link to... i saw them but iboats wasnt too specific on hoe long they are.

so one end is flanged, what about the other side?

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

You mean you are going to use the screw in garboard drain with plug on the splashwell???

The splashwell drains don't get plugged, they remain open at all times.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Garboard drains are not usually the thickness of the transom. More like a plate with a small neck that centers it in the hole in the transom. On mine, the neck protrudes only about 1/2-3/4". Thats why I took it off and coated the exposed ply with epoxy and reinstalled with 4200.

BTW, My garboard is brass and after just two trips in the bay, it already shows green. I will be replacing it with a stainless drain next time I order parts.

I think the plastic through tubes work better as splashwell drains. The garboard is really for the bilge.