Is it probable that my engine is blown?

troyboy22

Cadet
Re: Is it probable that my engine is blown?

Personally speaking,evey motor I`ve built from scratch or purchased as a short or long block get run on the stand 5 hours heat cycling so you dont get "micro-welding" of the rings.
volts, oil press, temp,leaks, noise,re-rightening,checking ,belts, everything untill I`m satisfied . Then I install it and take the boat for a spin, setting and adjusting what needs to be set.Then the timing is retarded just a hair and I safety wire the dist hold down bolt .Tell the customer to follow normal breakin procedures ,and call me in 20 hours to reset and check the timing.
some poeple want to see how fast a new motor goes and you cant do that untill it`s broken in.
What you could be doing is pulling the plugs checking for water, check the engine oil level and condition, maybe pull the starter and have it checked.
The heat tabs you mention are installed on the motor and if you exceed the normal temp ,they fall off. Easy to determine if the motor got hot at some point.

I just got back from the boat and pulled one of the spark plugs and it has a lot of water on it. I am taking that as a bad sign. I am not sure how the first one got hot but it was not from me running it too hard. The boat has a 6" cuddy in it and it is just not really built for speed. If anything, I drive it like a grand paw because I am so gun shy about the first time it blew up,,ha ha

troyboy22

Cadet

Oh and to answer the original question, no it's not probable that your engine is blown. it's "possible", but not "probable".
However if you let it sit with water in the cylinders (which I "think" you have) it will be junk in a couple of days!

There is water on the spark plugs. I have a better chance of hitting powerball today than getting someone to look at it before Monday. SHould I start looking for another engine do you think?

troyboy22

Cadet

Oh and to answer the original question, no it's not probable that your engine is blown. it's "possible", but not "probable".
However if you let it sit with water in the cylinders (which I "think" you have) it will be junk in a couple of days!

I have a better chance of hitting powerball today than getting someone to look at this before Monday. Are you saying that I probably better be looking for engine number 3?

captmello

Captain

The best way to get the water out of the engine is to pull the plugs and spin the motor over with the starter. With a broken starter, I don't know what you're going to do. Whoever put the manifolds and risers on that motor has some explaining to do.

Good Luck.

captmello

Captain

How long has it been sitting like this?

captmello

Captain

I guess if I were in this jam I would either replace the starter now, or take out all the plugs, and either try to vacuum the water out or blow out the cylinders with compressed air to remove most of the water followed by a bunch of PB blaster or even WD40 sprayed in the cylinders. Your engine may not be ruined, yet. The water in there is corroding the cylinder walls as we type.:eek:

Are you able to do any of these things today?

TilliamWe

Banned

Yesterday around 4pm

You are still okay, cause it's freshwater. Remove all the spark plugs. Humor me and try the starter once to see if it will now spin the motor over. (But I am just hoping against hope). When that doesn't work, find the socket that fits the bolt at the center of the damper pulley, and CAREFULLY turn the motor over by hand with a big breaker bar. Than spray fogging oil, WD40, or any other kind of oil you can find in every spark plug hole.

You and your mechanic have made a BIG BIG BIG (and stupid) mistake. Jasper should be able to get their money back for that free engine they sent you, cause you caused the problem the first time too. You owe them an apology. And you need a new mechanic.

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

pull all plugs and get water out now! oil cylinders asap ,drain oil completely thru drain plug not thru dipstick. then you might be good. your shutters might be gone. or a bad internal leak. my shutter is missing and merc mech said no big deal if you are careful especially when launching the boat do it slow. he said thousands of boats out their with shutters missing and owners dont know it and very few problems. i always launch with out drive up that might help.but i will put one in at the end of this season. do not wait for mech to look at it do it now vaccume sounds like a good idea so you dont have to crank motor. then when you get oil in it turn motor by hand.

troyboy22

Cadet

I guess if I were in this jam I would either replace the starter now, or take out all the plugs, and either try to vacuum the water out or blow out the cylinders with compressed air to remove most of the water followed by a bunch of PB blaster or even WD40 sprayed in the cylinders. Your engine may not be ruined, yet. The water in there is corroding the cylinder walls as we type.:eek:

Are you able to do any of these things today?

Well, I just got back from the boat again because a frind of mine told me to change the oil. I went and purchased a oil pump and now I found that the oil is full of water,,,I mean like a lot of water,,it looks like mud coming out. Am I done now? I just dont know what I could have done to cause this,,for real,,I only went out a few times and no real distance,,,tough weekend,,

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

Man it sounds bad ,motor is toast. if pump was just pulling water it is shot.
But there is that chance, motors are pretty tough and some just wont die.

troyboy22

Cadet

You are still okay, cause it's freshwater. Remove all the spark plugs. Humor me and try the starter once to see if it will now spin the motor over. (But I am just hoping against hope). When that doesn't work, find the socket that fits the bolt at the center of the damper pulley, and CAREFULLY turn the motor over by hand with a big breaker bar. Than spray fogging oil, WD40, or any other kind of oil you can find in every spark plug hole.

You and your mechanic have made a BIG BIG BIG (and stupid) mistake. Jasper should be able to get their money back for that free engine they sent you, cause you caused the problem the first time too. You owe them an apology. And you need a new mechanic.

I appreciate your help but I am not sure what I could have done. I paid to have a new engine replaced 2 times and went out about 4 times each time. I know it is easy just to blame me but I am just not sure what I have done. Can you elobarate on the "stupid" mistake I made or for that matter the mechanic. Not saying you are wrong, just don't know if the next time I get a boat, I should just tie a rope around my neck and swim with the boat behind me. Maybe that way, if I never start the boat, it will last forever. The mechanic that put the original engine in is not the same mechanic that put this one in. The first engine was a different problem, it seized up,,this one has injested water in evey possible place,,Thanks for your help.

troyboy22

Cadet

pull all plugs and get water out now! oil cylinders asap ,drain oil completely thru drain plug not thru dipstick. then you might be good. your shutters might be gone. or a bad internal leak. my shutter is missing and merc mech said no big deal if you are careful especially when launching the boat do it slow. he said thousands of boats out their with shutters missing and owners dont know it and very few problems. i always launch with out drive up that might help.but i will put one in at the end of this season. do not wait for mech to look at it do it now vaccume sounds like a good idea so you dont have to crank motor. then when you get oil in it turn motor by hand.

Thank you, I am on my way right now. Thanks for your help.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

It could just be from a bad intake manifold gasket, head gasket popped, a lot of reasons.when it get disassembled look for the obvious casues first. Was this a long block, short block, what items were put on from the original motor.
Did the first motor have oil contamination.
when you recieved the motor after the mech test ran it, did you check the oil before you took it out for a run.

troyboy22

Cadet

It could just be from a bad intake manifold gasket, head gasket popped, a lot of reasons.when it get disassembled look for the obvious casues first. Was this a long block, short block, what items were put on from the original motor.
Did the first motor have oil contamination.
when you recieved the motor after the mech test ran it, did you check the oil before you took it out for a run.

Well, as one of the guys that have tried to help stated, "I am kind of green" ,,that being the case, I am not sure what was put back on from the original engine. I had no water in the first Jasper engine. The starter did the same thing that it is doing now but all they told me was that it seized up and according to Jasper, because I over heated it. If I did, I am not sure what to do when I buy another boat. I go slow and easy and really only have one favorite spot that is like 300 yards from my dock.

If I am doing something wrong, I need to figure it out. I just thought you bought a boat, put it in the water and drove it. If there is more, I need to know,,haha,,Thanks for your help.

TilliamWe

Banned

The mistake you have made is to reinstall old exhaust manifolds on a brand new motor, twice. They could have caused the overheat in the first Jasper engine too, cause they were plugged up. Now they plugged up worse or leaking water into the cylinders.

bigski is right on with the oil change and the manually turning the motor over.

dontask

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What type of training & current marine engine certifications do these mechanics have-- that are working on your boat? Ouch!

Maclin

Admiral

Impeller maintenance was not mentioned, what other maintenance has been performed since the very first engine was ruined? It sounds like to me the boat may have an underlying overheat problem (raw water pump/impeller, clogged risers from previous impeller failure, etc) and any engine will be ruined in short order unless that is fixed.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Impeller maintenance was not mentioned, what other maintenance has been performed since the very first engine was ruined? It sounds like to me the boat may have an underlying overheat problem (raw water pump/impeller, clogged risers from previous impeller failure, etc) and any engine will be ruined in short order unless that is fixed.

Having an engine failure is one thing, having a second and then a third on the same boat means something not mentioned hasn't been addressed.
I couldn't imagine installing a new long block on a customers boat without replacing the raw water pump impeller and thermostat.
In salt water boats, the manifolds and risers would be replaced. Freshwater only boats would have them seriously examined and pressure checked. If the original engine died from water intrusion of any kind they would be replaced.
The intake manifold could also be bad.

Then, to put in 2 different long blocks and still have the same old gas and keep using it.
Personally, I think your getting a new engine from Jasper the first time was luck, because you have a mechanic that isn't paying attention to detail, and/or we aren't getting the whole story, or what all has been checked.

troyboy22

Cadet

The mistake you have made is to reinstall old exhaust manifolds on a brand new motor, twice. They could have caused the overheat in the first Jasper engine too, cause they were plugged up. Now they plugged up worse or leaking water into the cylinders.

bigski is right on with the oil change and the manually turning the motor over.

Mechanic number one charged me for new manifolds. Mechanic #2 said he checked them and they were good. I did go down to the dock and paid a guy 100 to drain the oil. After he finished, he said there was no chance the engine was any good,,just one of those days,,ha