12' 1960s AeroCraft restoration

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 12' 1960s AeroCraft restoration

I sold the extra trailer for $100 and I'm glad to get it out of the way:)

It didn't have lights, a winch crank and needed some work so I'll take it. Doubled my money on it so that's not bad.

The guy is going to be using it for one of the molded plastic "Pelican" boats that are like mini tri-hulls advertised as "bass boats".

The good trailer is going to get a new axle since the bearing and hub were both shot on the port side.

I'm landlocked for the moment unless I take out the canoe so it's time to get to work this weekend.:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Well we dragged my new trailer back on new tires, hubs, and bearings tonight:)

My grandpa-in-law really went to town on it and rather than weld a new axle he simply replaces the hub assembly and threw some brand new 13" tires on her! She pulls nicely and will be a great trailer for the little AeroCraft.

I know she may not look like much now...but I love this trailer already:D

I will paint it after working it over with a wire wheel, all cosmetic at this point.

DSCF5892.jpg

DSCF5891.jpg

I'm going to move those side brackets back and use them as guides...maybe throw the lights on them somehow?

DSCF5890.jpg

DSCF5889.jpg

bananaboater

Ensign

Great looking trailer. Funky and functional. Love that cross mounted big spring. Can't wait to see it finished.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Great looking trailer. Funky and functional. Love that cross mounted big spring. Can't wait to see it finished.

LOL it is funky:D

I love seeing old mechanical devices that can stand the test of time and this trailer is no exception. I am moving the guides to the back and wiring lights tonight, hoping to head out at 10am.

The suspension on this thing is something else;)

Huron Angler

Admiral

We tested out the trailer and it worked well.

The guide bunks on the back will be worked on, I accidently left one bunk at the farm but we will make new ones anyways.

Pulled great, had fun but didn't catch any fish!

DSCF5893.jpg

DSCF5894.jpg

DSCF5895.jpg

DSCF5897.jpg

DSCF5899.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Here's a little video of one of my favorite stretches of the Looking Glass river:)

Huron Angler

Admiral

It's been quite a while since we've done anything on the AeroCraft project, but we are back to work. It's time to get this trailer painted.:D

I changed the configuration a bit, since I raided the side bunk brackets for my Starcraft trailer. I still have another roller to bolt on each side where the beam is sticking out.

DSCF5889.jpg

Grey Rustoleum primer coat sprayed after thoroughly working the wire wheel on all sides.

DSCF7096.jpg

DSCF7104.jpg

The boat is sitting nearby patiently waiting to be splashed again. You can see the gluvit on the rivets and seams. I've got some grey rustoleum that I'm going to use on the exterior hull.

DSCF7105.jpg

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Cool , glad to see it getting some attention...now give Ros the camera, and prove she's not doing all the work ;):D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Some more photos of the little trailer. I can't wait to be done working on trailers, this is the third one I've put work into for this little tin can.

DSCF7102.jpg

Close shot of the boxy fender with new primer.

DSCF7101-1.jpg

This trailer was in dire need of some fresh paint.

DSCF7097.jpg

Another shot of the neglected little 12 footer(jealous of all the attention the Starcraft has gotten lately).

DSCF7098.jpg

And one photo of me working:D

DSCF7094.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Cool , glad to see it getting some attention...now give Ros the camera, and prove she's not doing all the work ;):D

LOL I hear ya Kenny, sometimes it's too easy for me to be working the camera.

She says she's done restoring boats after helping with these two:)eek:) but I know she doesn't mean it.:D:D

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

I was kidding with ya, but it's great to see you in a shot now and then...you two do great work, and seem to work great together...kudos on keeping it a family thing.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Do ya think the new paint job might make it less threatening to look at? Maybe some new bunk carpet so that little 12 footer isn't quite so afraid to sit on it, eh!

Great work Ros!

Mike you are doing a good job with the camera:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Every time I see that trailer I love it more.

Thanks Albert, same for me with this old trailer. It's got character.:)

I was kidding with ya, but it's great to see you in a shot now and then...you two do great work, and seem to work great together...kudos on keeping it a family thing.

Thanks Kenny, yeah we just try to keep the kids away when spraying paint or stripping off rust. They are a big help too sometimes:)

Do ya think the new paint job might make it less threatening to look at? Maybe some new bunk carpet so that little 12 footer isn't quite so afraid to sit on it, eh!

Great work Ros!

Mike you are doing a good job with the camera:D

Yeah the camera has an "auto" setting so it focuses and everything. A monkey could do it.:D Much easier than actually working too.

I do need some new carpet for the bunks too since I sold all the blue carpet from the Starcraft.

Huron Angler

Admiral

More photos of the trailer getting a nice primer coat. I was pleasantly surprised to see that more of it was painted when I got back from fishing last night:D(thanks Roslynn)

DSCF7148.jpg

Being inspected by the big boss:)

DSCF7147.jpg

Enough work for a sunday...time to go fishing in the Starcraft!

DSCF7135.jpg

My buddy's girl caught a nice baby pike. It hit a waxworm and she thought it was a huge bluegill.

DSCF7141.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

More photos of the trailer getting a nice primer coat. I was pleasantly surprised to see that more of it was painted when I got back from fishing last night:D(thanks Roslynn)

Oh man, you have to be kidding me. She is good with all the fishing you do AND EVEN WORKS ON YOUR RIG WHILE YOU ARE OUT ON THE LAKE KICKING BACK!!!!!!

Yah, you rock Roslynn!

Mike, again, nice job taking photos of all her hard work.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You should really marry that girl :p

Huron Angler

Admiral

My buddy landed this monster bass on a waxworm LOL:D

DSCF7138.jpg

A little Rock Bass, kinda like a mix between a largemouth and a bluegill.

DSCF7137.jpg

And some more primer got sprayed on the little trailer. We are cranking it out a little bit at a time. The axle still needs to be wire wheeled, wiped down and sprayed. A couple coats of Rustoleum Smoke Grey for the trailer will be up next.:)

DSCF7149.jpg

The rollers on the middle cross beam still need to be bolted on. I'm gonna wait until the boat is sitting on it to place them correctly.

DSCF7151.jpg

I've been looking around on Iboats for a few days looking what to modify my ol' 12' into, just spent about an hour pondering over this thread, it's been great to see everything you've done to your boats!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Progress has been made on the old AeroCraft:D

After prepping the boat for paint all summer we sprayed it last night with zinc chromate primer. Two cans didn't cover the entire bottom so I will need to finish it tonight.

I've got the smoke grey rustoleum that we will roll on the entire bottom hull.

I have some photos to post when I get out of work. Looking forward to moving the little boat into the garage so I can finish the transom and middle bench.

Rivet gun has a mandril stuck in it again and I have not been able to remove it yet. The guys at Ace like helping out with stuff like that so I will turn it over to the experts.:)