would moth balls keep a cat out of my boat?

BCorn

Cadet
cat likes to get up underneath the boat cover to sleep.....i do not like the cat hair in the boat carpet......would moth balls keep him out. anybody have any other ideas? thanks

Andy in NY

Commander
Re: would moth balls keep a cat out of my boat?

A dog would keep it out...

:D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

cats - moth balls, no. at least it is just hair, and not male spray.

mmccoy555

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try a snake. hehe

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Mothballs...no.

Mothra...yes!

2ry4rdd.jpg

Only kidding! I just don't like cats....

There is a powder that keeps dogs, and cats, out of your garden. You might want to check your local Home Depot...that is where I got mine!

In the meantime...check all of the hiding spots in your rig. There are some pretty evil cats out there...with some pretty evil plans!

2hmjwd2.jpg

mmccoy555

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mothballs...no.

Mothra...yes!

2ry4rdd.jpg

Only kidding! I just don't like cats....

There is a powder that keeps dogs, and cats, out of your garden. You might want to check your local Home Depot...that is where I got mine!

In the meantime...check all of the hiding spots in your rig. There are some pretty evil cats out there...with some pretty evil plans!

2hmjwd2.jpg

LMAO

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

let's not get political here, LOL.

Backyardhockey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

They will keep moths out. Maybe hang a few cattails around.

JZammetti

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay, since exterminating the cat is off the table, I found that my test subject cat didn't like the smell of lemon juice. I put lemon juice in an open container at the test subject cat would not go near it. When it walked by the can of juice it kept about 5 feet of distance between it and the can. Hope this helps. Wow, was I that bored to do this test....

Woodyq

Seaman

Sprinkle a little cayenne pepper around the edges.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

When it walked by the can of juice it kept about 5 feet of distance between it and the can. Hope this helps. Wow, was I that bored to do this test....

I duplicated your experiment...and got a different result.

Can of juice...5 foot radius

Can only...ran away!

Then I remembered that this was already proved by Navin (The Jerk):

[a sniper keeps missing Navin and hitting cans of motor oil]
Navin R. Johnson: "He hates these cans. Stay away from the cans!"

34qlmya.jpg

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

Lots of cats in my neighborhood. Have kept a tunafish can full of mothballs in my 18 ft boat in side yard for many years & have never seen a cat in it.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

moth balls - no.

You can try putting a citronella candle in your boat. it will stink it up enough to offend the gatto - but not be offensive to you.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

I feel for you, my neighbors cat like to hang out in my boat. Even with the Snap on cover, it still manages to slip through. So far all I've had is cat hair, oh and once their other cat "Dissapeared", I can only imagine it hitched a ride. I've used moth balls before and it didn't help.

willieboy

Seaman

Why don't you tell the neighbors to keep their cat of you property. It is a reasonable expectation for dogs, why not cats? If they don't like your suggestion, suggest to them that the cat trap (coon trap/skunk traps work great) in your boat will do a fine job of transporting fluffy to the local animal control facility.

I love my neighbors, but my Sister in law and their daughter is very allergic to cat hair. They get an almost immediate skin reaction if it touches them. We had a neighbor cat that seemed to love to sleep on our back porch swing (fenced back yard). It was unfair to our dog to keep him from chasing the cat, and unfair to my family to have to deal with the cat hair. I had a friendly conversation with my neighbors, which was laughed off. When the conversation became my serious, they got my point. Since then no problems. I never did have to resort to a cat trap, but I would have done it if the neighbors did not take care of THEIR problem.

lukec

Cadet

Did you try asking the cat to stop climbing in your boat? :)
11060.jpg

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

my parents use an unbaited set mousetrap under a sheet of newspaper to keep the animals off the couch, they learned real fast...

gypsysoul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

does peta know we are performing experiments on cats?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Moth balls are very effective at keeping cats out of a boat. But they must be applied directly to the cat. This works best by first loading the moth balls into a shot gun shell.

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

Moth balls are very effective at keeping cats out of a boat. But they must be applied directly to the cat. This works best by first loading the moth balls into a shot gun shell.

problem is the law, they dont take too lightly of discgarging a firearm in city limits, plus the noise is bound to pi$$ of neighbors. now a slingshot will work wonders...