Boat Security While at a Public Dock

Shizzy

Ensign
Re: Boat Security While at a Public Dock

the only time my boat leaves my sight is when im going to get my truck to pull it back out.

even then everything gets stowed and locked. I grew up in the city and dont trust anyone. how many $$ is invested in my tackle box? my reel says AbuGarcia, it would only take 2 seconds for me to be out hundreds of dollars.

my boat is in one of three places at all times.

#1 locked in the garage

#2 locked to my truck with me driving to the lake

#3 on the lake with me in it.

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

The amount of tackle we carry outweighs the cost of our 20' bowrider! The one box of spoons alone is worth over $300.... we outfit with the best - and insure to the max as well. But I wouldn't advertise either, we stow the gear and make sure we're not putting ourselves in a compromising situation. I would not leave geared up at an unmanned unsecure dock - even at home.

I'd leave it at the dock if it were a secure place, but even then - we have a pelican case that we put all of the electronics in and a cable python lock and lock it on the boat inconspicuously. I tuck it under the bowseats and cable it to the boat. This way it's not too tempting and easy to get to.

I too make sure the trailer is secure -- most times the trailer or tires are taken since they know you're gone for a while.

But overall we use common sense and each place is different.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if i am docking overnite, even in a fishcamp. i do have a bow chain that i lock to the dock.

JZammetti

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if i am docking overnite, even in a fishcamp. i do have a bow chain that i lock to the dock.

Is there a special lock or do you use a common rope chain lock? If there is a special bow lock made for boats where did you get yours?

rp23g7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After replacing my ignition switch in about 5 min i never leave my boat alone at the dock, or without its trailer lock when stored.

I lost my key for my old boat, and just went to the boat shop to get a replacement switch and key. It took me 5 min to replace. A devious person could do the same thing, and instant free boat, take it somewhere, with a pre planned size trailer and be gone.

After some one got the whole trailer and boat stolen at a local boat shop, i never leave my trailer without its lock on the tongue.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

just a chain, and 2 locks, chain and lock on bow eye, and then around a cleat, pier post and locked. nothing is going to stop, someone who really wants to steal it. this just stops kids, etc, from untieing you boat and letting it drift away.

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

good tip as usual TD.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

On our boat, IF you were brave enough to try, first you have to find the key (I only take it out of the ignition at the marina if were eating) then realize the batteries are turned off, figure out how to get to said batteries, then realize thats not where the switch is, then realize the emergency cut off is tripped....etc etc. We also pull the head off the stereo, lock all the phones up in a storage bin. All the other "Stuff" we leave out, If you need a towel, life jacket or sunscreen bad enough to risk your life over it, take it...

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

...If you need a towel, life jacket or sunscreen bad enough to risk your life over it, take it...

So you'd murder a human being over a lifejacket, towel or sunscreen? Amazing. :(

BumbleBeeTuna

Seaman

I'm not as concerned about people stealing from my boat as I am the pontoon renters flying out of the marina with no boating experience at all.

First day on the water with my new boat and I almost lost my swim platform to one of those guys.

haulnazz15

Captain

So you'd murder a human being over a lifejacket, towel or sunscreen? Amazing. :(

I don't think he was really talking about killing someone. But a good beat down would certainly be in order . . . at least some waterboarding since there would be so much of it around at the time!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

I don't think he was really talking about killing someone. But a good beat down would certainly be in order . . . at least some waterboarding since there would be so much of it around at the time!

Ah yes. Murder and torture. The best ways to handle a petty thief.

bekosh

Lieutenant

Only an idiot would consider it murder to defend oneself from a thief.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Only an idiot would consider it murder to defend oneself from a thief.

Thus far, no one has said that the thief attacked anyone.

Only an idiot would kill someone for petty thievery.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Knock it off you guys . . . It was an expression. No need to expose your personal beliefs regarding crimes, punishment, murder and torture . . . If I left something out, I'll add it later . . . :rolleyes:

But for the record, what I do when I catch a thief is I take the ignition key that I left in the ignition so that I can find it when I need it like right that minute. I take the key I put it in his eye socket and turn it back and forth to mimic the starting of of my boat that he might have been considering. Most guys don't do it again after that . . .

skargo

Banned

LOL@QC.

Another reason for a good insurance policy. If your boat has a thief smitten, he will get it.

bekosh

Lieutenant

Thus far, no one has said that the thief attacked anyone.

Only an idiot would kill someone for petty thievery.
The mere presence of the thief on my property represents a clear threat to life and limb. Or should I just assume that someone that would involve themselves in breaking and entering and theft is an otherwise honest and upstanding citizen?:rolleyes:

QC

Supreme Mariner

Ahhhhemmm . . . . . No mas por favor ^^^^^^ Now I am asking in two languages, just ask Mrs. QC, means I am super serial :eek: ;)

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

I have full coverage... If they want it that bad they can take it, That would give me an excuse to buy another with a bigger motor and lifting strakes... :D

I take the key and any valuables with me and I don't really worry about it. I boat to get away from stress not to introduce more.

CaptainKev

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Some years ago I was moving apartments. I piled a bunch of stuff in the car, locked it and went up a short flight of stairs to lock my apartment door. When I turned around the car was gone. According to the cops there had been a number of thefts that day that were similar. The car was probably snagged by a tow truck and hauled off in 5 seconds. I learned my lesson that day. If they want it...they will take it. Get good insurance and dock your boat next to a better one.
Kev.