Florida Get Together 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

captharv

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Florida Get Together 2010

I have also had bad experiences with the Jungle Den people. I also wanted to do a group thing there and they just about told me to go elsewhere.

try: South Moon Fish camp, in Astor. They are about 3 miles north of Jungle den, have a ramp, fuel, motel rooms, and some dock space. Ramp looks better than JD also.

Anothe place is: Astor marina and campground. They are on Lake Dexter near daymark 10, have docks, campground, ramp, etc. the spring boat-a-cade went there with 30 boats and drive in RVs. I heard no complaints about the place.
They would probably allow a group cookout.

I have used Astor bridge Marina to launch. They have a ramp, but its a bit difficult to back into ( my boat is 24' on a 28' long trailer). However, they were nice, have ample parking for the trauck/trailer combos, restaurant on premisis (and the famous Blackwater Inn across the river), fuel, etc.

Theres my $.02

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have done a bit of looking around, and i have yet to find anything better then Lake Griffin.... just my opinion. Had a great time and looking forward to the next one.

cribber

Lieutenant

I couldn't make it this gathering because personal reasons...

The Harris Chain which includes Lake Harris, Little Lake Harris, Late Eustis, Lake Dora and Lake Griffin are a great place to hang and we try to hit at least two of them every weekend. Also Lake George is another great place to hang... just gotta keep an eye on the radar during storm season.

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, lets pass the hat..I will put in the first 20 (dollars...):p

wow, as the name rentprop suggests I have a strong background in Real Estate and there is no way thats worth the 11 million asking price :eek::eek:

allwazag8r

Recruit

Devils elbow in St Augustine is on the intercoastal they have a website if you want saltwater....

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Devils Elbow, it looks nice, but expensive, and does not allow pets or camping.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

What was the main objection to Lake Griffin as the spot again?
Was it the lack of swimming area for the kids? (and jacuzzi for us old bones)

Looking at most of the State Parks....It's kinda tough to find an area more centrally located for everybody than where we were...

tashasdaddy

yes, swimming was the only objection, that i got. i hope next year to be able to spend more time on the water than i did, this past trip. i have no objections to taking the kids out on the pontoon, and anchoring up, so they can swim. Heck i will drag them all over that lake in 2010, i am putting a 140 on the toon.

tashasdaddy

April, it will be a little cooler, ahead of the deer flies. i would love to get a kids fishing contest, just from the bulkhead. Sunday there were quite a few people fishing from it. wish i could get Zebco, to donate some kids rod and reels.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

yes, swimming was the only objection, that i got. i hope next year to be able to spend more time on the water than i did, this past trip. i have no objections to taking the kids out on the pontoon, and anchoring up, so they can swim. Heck i will drag them all over that lake in 2010, i am putting a 140 on the toon.

TD..
If I remember @ Lake Griffin..There was a strict NO SWIMMING policy due to what the website called a "Healthy Alligator Population"

Hmmm..Maybe I'll bring the BRATS down the road...LOL:eek:

nlain

Commander

Copied from the website, "There is no swimming due to a healthy alligator population." Now does that mean just in the park or the whole lake.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Personally..
I would probably use the Hotel for the next one if it was at LG..
I would have no problems giving any family the room key to acess the hotel's pool area! It was very close to the park, not 5 mins I bet.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Personally..
I would probably use the Hotel for the next one if it was at LG..
I would have no problems giving any family the room key to acess the hotel's pool area! It was very close to the park, not 5 mins I bet.

Yep...I second that! The campsite was fun, but in all honesty, a room, clean sheets, private bathroom and a pool all seem to be worth it. By the way...those are my thoughts, Barb was just fine in the camper!!

We really liked the location, but would be willing to travel some if need be.

Hope we have the flats boat by then...or everyone will be aboard the WA! Need to have it low enough in the water to clear the bridge....

Keep em coming...

tashasdaddy

had not thought about the hotel pool but that is a great idea. my impression of the lake is that it is fine for water sports. it is the creek area that has the gator population. Chase and Billy went gator spotting that Friday night in the paddling Gheenoe, turn around and came back when the saw the big one.

nlain

Commander

The hotel was nice, the pool was nice, the A/C, private bath and all the other stuff was nice, just have to pay each day to get in and out of the park if not staying inside and no more than 5 min away, couple good restaurants just down the road past the motel. Golden Corral is the one we went to for the evening meal, just go to the food bar and load up and it won't break the bank either.

I think that the lake would probably be fine for water sports, I was out several times and never saw a gator out there. My wife got nervous when she heard the word gator, we had carried the tube to pull the boys on and never took it out of the truck. She would have probably been ok if others were out in the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.