I Gotta do it this time(update over 11 days now)

Ron G

Commander
Re: I Gotta do it this time

I wish i could follow....hang in there.

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

Go for it SS.
I had my last smoke on 28th August, I had 2 weeks of pure hell then things seemed to get a lot better. The one thing that realy helped me was to change my routine, silly things like always lighting up at the same set of traffic lights on my way to work so I drive a different way now, I always had a smoke after my lunch so now I make sure I have a few phone calls to make when I've finished eating.
Your over the worst part which is the nicotine addiction all you have to do now is break the habbit.
If I can do it I'm sure you can.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Keep it up!
Before it gets real hard,you should try and figure out which things you eat, drink or do that usually accompany a cigarette.
if you manage to stop the habits around lighting up it will be easier not to light up.
Example:If you like to drink a cup of coffee and smoke,try to drink tea instead.It will lessen your urge to light up.Also, drink stuff without sugar.It will draw your attention away.
what I am saying is: If you change your comfort activities,and introduce new ones without smoke,it will be easier.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Best of luck SS. I need to try and give them up myself.
Reading all these posts got me thinking.
Hang in there! You can do it!
I think i'll see my doc and try some quit smoking meds..
I'll need all the help i can get.
If i could make it 3 or more days like you i think i could quit too.
Make the Wifey go outside to smoke..8)

ndemge

Commander

UPDATE PLEASE

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Okay Okay Noel, here's an update! Still no smoke in these lungs! 8)

Got up this AM and my throat is real bad. Woke the wife up and had her take me to the ER. In and out in 2 hours aint to bad. Of course having a wife that works there helps.

Doc said the infection has moved into my lymph system. Put me on some pain meds for my swollen neck/throat and some strong antibiotics. Then he took me off work for the rest of the week. I have sick days to cover but that also will keep me from spending this coming weekend onboard. Only 3 more weekends and I have to forfiet one of them.

I got to admit that a couple of times that a cigarette urge was there. Just told myself that is going to happen and I gotta realize that it is in the best intrest of my future and family to stop. That curbs the craving for now.

It now has been 4 days without any:}

The hard part is going to be finding a substitute to keep my mind/hands busy since I no longer will be reaching for the pack, lighting up, flicking ashes, and anything that kept the ritual going.

Once I get over this illness and feel better, I know I will be a bit more active and look for that dang on honeydo list.

Thanks for the support,,,,,it sure does brighten a persons day up.

Wish you good luck also RPJS,,,

BTW,,,,I promise not to become a crame it down your throat type anti-smoker!

Firestar

Chief Petty Officer
Re: I Gotta do it this time(update over 4 days now)

After reading this thread I decided to join you SS. I smoked for 32years. I quit today. Hang in there, I will. Cold turkey.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

SS said:
The hard part is going to be finding a substitute to keep my mind/hands busy since I no longer will be reaching for the pack, lighting up, flicking ashes, and anything that kept the ritual going.

Never did the cig. thing myself. Did the smokeless thing for a number of years. The ritual deal seemed to be the hardest to get over. Reaching for a tin of dip out of habit..........no thought required, :% scary! Hang in there SS and the rest of you quitters too!! ;) ;)

fire831

Petty Officer 1st Class

I quit back in Jan. one thing I found to help was carry Tic - Tacs in my shirt pocket where my cigs were always at. When I got the urge for a smoke I would reach into my pocket, get a Tic-Tac out and put it in my mouth and then put the pack back in my pocket.You go through the same motions except lighting it and if it helps act like you are lighting up. Good luck and watch for the weight gain. I gained 20 pounds that I didn't need but it's still better than smoking.

Firestar

Chief Petty Officer

I've quit before but the problem is that if I go and have a beer with some friends I cave. I can go 3 weeks and longer without a problem. I guess I'll have to give up beer too. I can have a glass of wine with no problem. That damn beer and smoking buddies gets me everytime.

KaGee

Admiral

I smell a Vortec in that doghouse!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Firestar said:
After reading this thread I decided to join you SS. I smoked for 32years. I quit today. Hang in there, I will. Cold turkey.
Good luck Firestar. I smoked 2 packs a a day for 32 years. I quit using patches, gum and lozenges. That was 9 years ago this December.

ndemge

Commander

So how did today go for SS and Firestar?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: I Gotta do it this time(update over 6 days now)

Woooooo Hoooooo! I know I can make it to tomorrow without any smokes. That will make one complete week without any at all!

Feeling better today. WIll be glad to get back to work. Being a couch potatoe is not my life style. I did get a boost of adrenelin flowing this morning. See the post about coyotes.

FIrestar I wish you tons of luck. So far my best way is to keep my attitude that I don't need the dang things. It has taken the last 4 or 5 years of saying yeah, I gotta quit. So far I'm doing fine. Had a few cravings, but a stick of gum or hard candy sorta fixed the problem.

Wife an I may be going to the docks this weekend. Only 3 more left before haul out.:'( I'll get some pics of the boat this weekend for sure to get posted.

Everyone have a great day,,,,,,,I'm getting there!8)

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

One week towards the rest of your life smokeless................u-da-man keep on it SS and the rest of you quit'n for good. ............................And SS hurry up with the pics.

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

Way to go SS, from what I was told you have the worst bit done, you've got rid of the nicotine in your body and therfore got over the nicotine addiction. All you have to do now is kick the habit. Is your food starting to taste better yet, it will.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

RPJS said:
Way to go SS, from what I was told you have the worst bit done, you've got rid of the nicotine in your body and therfore got over the nicotine addiction. All you have to do now is kick the habit. Is your food starting to taste better yet, it will.

My taste buds are still out of wack from this virus I've been fightin, but my sense of smell is coming back. I know when the taste buds gets going,,,,so will the weight:'(

mscher

Lieutenant

Here is a good substitute for smoking,

After your ailments have healed, get off of your butt and start EXCERCISING! Even if you are in awful shape, most anyone can put on a pair of tennys and walk around the block. Do it and do it some more.

Although I was in my in my mid 20's and no physical shape whatsover, I made it from 1 and 1/2 packs a day to running 7 miles and 20 minutes of rope skipping, in about 2 years. No patches no nothing. I was not easy, but what is? That was 20 years ago.

The toughest part for you may be that your smoking wife will probably leave you (or hurt you), as you nag her to quit this ridiculous habit also.:/

It also helped me to mentally despise cigarette smoke and although I did go to bars and tried not to "preach" to other smokers, I did influence others just by my quitting.

You can too.

Just do it!

ood luck

ndemge

Commander

Well???

Firestar

Chief Petty Officer

I caved. Sunday night football. Buddies ( smoking) + beer + Bears (winning) = One pack of Newports. I quit again Monday morning and made it thru Monday nite football. Easy no buddies or beer.