68 Starcraft Starchief 18' Cuddy Restoration

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 68 Starcraft Starchief 18' Cuddy Restoration

David,

Thanks for the kind words, I really like the durabak so far, I have dropped a few tools on it and so far not a scratch:eek::D I really like your Islander, where are you located?

Bret, You are very welcome. Glad you like the Islander, I hope it turns out as well as yours. I am in Long Beach, Mississippi right on the coast. David.

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

The paint dealt me lemons, so I made lemonade. As I was sanding down the hull from the paint, I found a few dimples and dents so I mixed up some JB Weld and filled them. Then, as I had some leftover, I decided to fill some holes in the cabin roof that I had previously decided to rivet. I think it will look a lot better than tons of extra rivets. Once sanded smooth, they should be invisible now. Thus I think the end product will be better in the long run. Now I just have to be patient for the right painting weather.

Boattwelfthweek001.jpg

Boattwelfthweek002.jpg

Boattwelfthweek003.jpg

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bret, you just keep plugging along. I spent a little time in mine this afternoon looking at removing the top windshield. Do you have a source for the replacement rubber moulding (white)????

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looking good. My experience though is that JB Weld is a B!TCH!!! to sand.

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Bret, you just keep plugging along. I spent a little time in mine this afternoon looking at removing the top windshield. Do you have a source for the replacement rubber moulding (white)????

Mine didn't have any moulding :eek: So I am going to see what from taco will work best and buy some of that

EZ, -a Bosch random orbital sander and 120 grit paper do wonders on JB Weld, As I am not sealing rivets, I don't have to worry about sanding their heads off, and can go to town:D

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Regarding the roll and tip painting; when I did the hard top, I used a very thin foam roller. Foam was about 1/4" thick. Came in the full roller size, and I cut them in half for use with a small 4" roller. It leaves an even layer of paint, often with a lot of foamy bubbles. Then drag the brush over it and all the bubbles disappeared. I first used a bristle brush, but it left too many brush marks. Then I switched to the cheap disposable foam brushes. What a difference! Smooth as a baby's back side.

I was using the Bright Sides paint, and I waited until it was cooler in the evening to paint. That may also make a difference.

North Beach

Commander

Ok, after reading and watching the vids and mult threads on roll and tip, I think I figured out what went wrong.

#1 It was sunny, #2 It was hot (86 F), #3 It was humid, #4 It was windy (All 4 make the paint flash faster and didn't give me time to tip or time for it to self level.), #5 I put it on too thick, #6 rustoleum marine is thicker than regular rustoleum and needs thinned a little, #7 I was rushing so I could get the motor re-mounted. So I went back to the random orbital sander this am and am undoing yesterday's fiasco. I guess I need a little more patience..... and a climate controlled, concrete floored pole building with a gantry crane, 3 phase, 15 hp compressor, and air filtration system:eek::D

Actually Bret you got it all wrong. it's a gravel floored 1200 dollar prefab with previously used osb, leftover vapor barrier and I spent 4 days in the rain putting the plywood on. The hull paint and prep took 13 full days and I mean FULL. then i spent nights hauling desiel in 5 gallon cans for the danged redeye heater since the temps went right thru the floor as soon as i started spraying.

So quit your danged snivelling and paint the little boat already:p Geez, ya got this nice beautiful weather to work with-what elase do you want!

You know i'm laughing like heck as i type this. Seriously, just try it again. They are still making paint and sand paper and you'll get it right. we'll all be at lake Anna with the tubs before you know it!

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

I am about ready to restore starcrafts! geez all that awesome aluminum! Excellent boat to restore!
Should be a phenomonal boat when you're done.

Are you keeping the 4 banger or going v6? v8?

Great that it looks like you have most of the seat parts, should make for an easier re-upholstery job, cant wait to see her done, and the name NUTS is awsome!
keep on keepin on!

Vegasphotoman

here's one of our projects, a 78 Newman 18' bowrider. 302 ford v8

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=340617

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Vegas,

Nice Newman you have there! I like the retro green. Thanks for the compliments! Yes I am planning on keeping the 4 banger, I have heard they sip the gas and given the all up weight of 1600 lbs, it should be plenty of engine.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

wow only 1600 lbs? that should run fine with the 4 cyl merc, I figured that boat to be heavy with all that cabin and stuff.plus didnt notice it was only 18' boat
:)
Boy those Starcrafts are neat, haven't ran across any here in Vegas (on craigslist) must be a back east thing. They look like they cut through the water nice, probably ride great in big chop / whitecaps compared to a ski boat.

I have a 115hp merc 4 cyl i/o in my 17ft glastron and it humps along 43mph with 21 pitch prop
yeah the pea green is gonna be GONE :eek:, we're either gel coating or painting (imron) the bottom blast white and the top half will be Sunrise orange pearl from house of kolors. we already have the upholstery guy working on a matching interior. Probably not the best boat for "fix and sell" but we're comitted now! picked the newman boat up for $300 w/ new trailer tires on it already.

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

What's a guy to do when the weather forcast is for sunny and breezy in the upper 80's for the next week and he wants to get his boat painted?...... Break out the measuring tape....... Oh honey, would you mind to terribly if I....
Boattwelfthweek004.jpg

Boattwelfthweek005.jpg

Then throw in a window a/c unit, Stick the shop vac outside with a looong hose, get your little helpers approval as well..... and Viola! climate control!
Boattwelfthweek006.jpg

North Beach

Commander

Now if you can just talk the little guy into doin the paintin, you'll be set:D

Rickairmedic

Commander

OK Bret now that I see you can do it can you come make enough room in my garage so I can get my boat in . I think our garages are about the same size and my boat is smaller than yours :D:D.

Rick

North Beach

Commander

God only knows what he's got packed in there Bret! Dude owns like 13 boats:eek:

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like a great idea especially for roll on. I keep looking at the spray guns, but havn't found one that has low enough cfm usage for my compressor. I have two and i'm considering hooking them up tandom. If i take off my upper windshield i might be able to get mine in the garage:D:D:D:D

Rickairmedic

Commander

Brad what kinda CFM are we talking and more important how big are your tanks. Thats also kinda important as you dont want to run out of air before you go through the paint in the gun if you can help it :D.

Rick

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Brad what kinda CFM are we talking and more important how big are your tanks. Thats also kinda important as you dont want to run out of air before you go through the paint in the gun if you can help it :D.

Rick

I have a craftsman 1.5 hp 5 gallon tank. It will produce 4.7 @ 40 psi and 1.3 @ 90 psi. I have a smaller one that produces about half that i think. Most of the guns i have seen in the HVLP are in the 7-10 cfm range. All the reading i have done has pointed to the HVLP model as the best option.

North Beach

Commander

Brad, you can also get one or two of those air tanks like you use to transport air and hook them in to make it work. I used to see folks at the track do that all the time when they were running air tools to do saturday night motor swaps, etc.