Why is my truck eating ball joints

polk county

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Last year I replaced the upper and lower ball joints on my ford ranger. My tires are wearing unevenly so I took the truck to the shop. The mechanic says I need new struts, shocks, sway bar and lower ball joints. There is play in the lower ball joints. I replaced the lower ball joints last year? why did the not last a year? Oh get this, Midas also wanted 130 dollars to change the serpentine belt. HA HA HA!

Anyone have experience with ball joints?

thanks

quackaddict1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Why is my truck eating ball joints

IF you have other items causing excess play and slop in the suspension, ie the struts, shocks, swaybar, etc, the ball joints will wear permaturley. Ford is also known for having balljoint troubles in pickups.

I will only charge you 100 bucks to install that serpentine belt:D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Sounds like it was a partial repair..... did they use OEM parts?

slia67

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think I would get a second opinion. Sway bars usually don't get damaged unless they are in an accident or hit something.

How are the tires wearing? Are they cupped, feather edges, wear on the edges?

TilliamWe

Banned

Well, you're from Polk County, so I'll forgive you that you said your truck needs both shocks and struts. (My parents live in Auburndale) Your truck does not have struts, just shocks.
And slia67 is absolutely right, sway bars don't wear out. Now, the sway bar link bushings do. Is that what they meant?

We need lots more info about your problems.

polk county

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help people. Ill post up to date info after I talk to the mechanic later.

I think Ive been to Peoria. I go to Erie every year to do some walleye fishing.

getinmerry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sway bar links and ball joints are tasty snacks for Ford trucks. Every one I've ever owned ate them up. As soon as a link goes- so does a ball joint. Before you realize what's happening, it's too late. Upper ball joints are way too common on Fords. Lowers are more rare. I replace my uppers on my Explorer every 2 years or less.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Glad i drive a Chevy....:p Grease zerks on everything and at 106k miles the front end is still all original and tight..
Must be the Triple Guard grease i use on my suspension and steering...;)

Nothing personal Ford guys...Fords are tough trucks!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What year and model is this mystery truck? What do you use it for?

We have had 6 Rangers in the family over the years and none ever gave front suspension trouble. Several went over 250,000 miles before retirement.

Glad i drive a Chevy....:p Grease zerks on everything and at 106k miles the front end is still all original and tight..
Must be the Triple Guard grease i use on my suspension and steering...;)

Nothing personal Ford guys...Fords are tough trucks!

Yea but that idler arm needs to be changed every other month!!!

TilliamWe

Banned

Thanks for the help people. Ill post up to date info after I talk to the mechanic later.

I think Ive been to Peoria. I go to Erie every year to do some walleye fishing.

If you went through Peoria to get to Lake Erie, you sure are from Polk County, FL!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Hey my folks live in Winter Haven btween Lake Alfred and Auburndale.....

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Yea but that idler arm needs to be changed every other month!!!

Wrong! Still original...It all has to do with taking care of things...grease,grease and more grease at every oil change...:p

Not picking on ya man! Ford has good stuff too...

puddle jumper

Captain

I think you need to look at the quality of the ball joint and your driving habits. Over sized tires are hard on all steering parts plus driving too fast on gravel roads will eat them up. just my 2cents

Wrong! Still original...It all has to do with taking care of things...grease,grease and more grease at every oil change...:p

Not picking on ya man! Ford has good stuff too...

I don't own a ford so you are not picking on me. I just work for a dealer and we replace idlers on chevys a bunch grease or no grease they are built to light duty. if yours is original and it has many miles and has zero slack you have a rare one there. You had better hang on to that one it is blessed.

reelfishin

Captain

What year and model is this mystery truck? What do you use it for?

We have had 6 Rangers in the family over the years and none ever gave front suspension trouble. Several went over 250,000 miles before retirement.

Same thing here, I've owned 8 Rangers, and never had to replace ball joints or any other front end components.
My 1995 Ford van used to eat upper ball joints, and I hear they still do, but I've worked on Fords for years and never saw any particular issues with ball joints.
The Fords that were known for ball joint issues were the coil over a arm suspension cars like the older Mustangs, Mavericks, Falcons, Torinos, etc.

Are you driving a lot off road? In water?
It more sounds to me like they never changed them in the first place.

Another note though, most stock ball joints these days are sealed, meaning you can't lube them. This also means they tend to be well sealed as far as getting dirt and water inside the boot, so long as the boot is good. Many replacement joints are greasable and use only a flat rubber boot, this tends to leave the joint fairly well exposed to the elements, and requires periodic greasing.

LubeDude

Admiral

Last year I replaced the upper and lower ball joints on my ford ranger. My tires are wearing unevenly so I took the truck to the shop. The mechanic says I need new struts, shocks, sway bar and lower ball joints. There is play in the lower ball joints. I replaced the lower ball joints last year? why did the not last a year? Oh get this, Midas also wanted 130 dollars to change the serpentine belt. HA HA HA!

Anyone have experience with ball joints?

thanks

Bad economy, He is wanting to make a living off of you! You are being scammed!!!! Find a new mechanic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 1993 Ranger 4X4 with 217,000 miles with no front end issues ever!

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

There is play in the lower ball joints.

IIRC, there's supposed to be play in the ball joint. Don't tell me he pulled that old time trick of jacking up the vehicle and then using a pry bar to unload the joint, showing you the play? End play should be compared to specs.

jonesg

Admiral

my ford van E350 failed inspection due to balljoint play, they gave me an estimate of $1100 hahaha , I did it myself for around $250, autozone loaned me the press.
It was an interesting project, the first side took 4 days, the other side took about an hour.

The guy I bought the van from said he thinks the balljoints were done not too long ago. We'll see.

Dunaruna

Admiral

IIRC, there's supposed to be play in the ball joint. Don't tell me he pulled that old time trick of jacking up the vehicle and then using a pry bar to unload the joint, showing you the play? End play should be compared to specs.

Spot on!

Don't know about the U.S, but down here there are too many non genuine, non greasable replacement joints with zero float, they certainly crap out quicker than the genuine article.