I have a question!!

LubeDude

Admiral
OK, those of you that are interested in such things have been following my progress on the 69 ElCamino. Now, I am starting to write the description for the add Im going to put on Ebay when I sell it in a week or so. Well, my problem is this, Do I list it as restored or what? I do know what "Resored" means to me, as that is basically what I do to the Covettes and such I work on most of the time, But in my opinion, this car isnt restored. Now on the otherhand, I see cars all the time on Ebay that say they are restored, and there hasnt been half the work done to them as has gone into this car. Honestly, the only thing that hasnt been rebuilt is the front end and it really dosnt need it but the spindles and backing plates are still caked in crud as you can imagine over the years of greasing and such. The tie rod ends, steering arms and swaybar are cleaned and detailed and look new, and it has new shocks in the front and air in the rear. I blacked out most of the front frame rails and suspention, but didnt do anything to the rear of the car except paint the pumpkin cover when I pulled it off to drain the gear oil out and pull the clips so I could yank the seals and put new ones in. The car was preasure washed underneath so its pretty clean but not new looking.<br /><br />So, do I say,<br /><br />"Frame on restoration"<br />"Partially retored"<br />"Very clean and detailed"<br />Or what?<br /><br />What do you guys that are not "car freaks" that would maybe be interested in something like this think you would like to see in the description? Its obviously "Very nice", but I dont want to OVER SELL it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: I have a question!!

frame on restoration, very clean, detailed, but not a top points car.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Put it in Autotrader. Ebay doesn't have a wide enough local audience for autos. If you put it there, be sure to put a suitable minimum bid on it.<br /><br /> http://www.autotrader.com/

ob

Admiral

Just list what it is and what it's got.Engine size,carb(2 or 4 bbl),rear end(gear ratio and whether its posi),tranny (auto or standard)3 or 4 speed,turbo 350 or 400,overall condition,rust,some rust or no rust.Things like that.Restored to me implies that the car is pretty much original.If it is,then,frame on restoration is not a stretch.Just think you'd get more solid hits listing the detail of the setup because to me the term "frame on" restoration sends a negative sales pitch to a prospective buyer.

Link

Rear Admiral

Glad to help LubeDude<br />I AM NOT a car buff so here is my .02 worth.<br /><br />"Very clean and detailed, Partially retored"<br />With lots of pics (I followed what u were doing)<br />And a list of what you have done.<br /><br />Anyway that is my take on it anyway as a non car buff.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I would use Ebay and be certain to spend the additional $$ and have it "featured" on the top list. Lots of photos and just be real honest. Resoration is usually stated as A B C with C being a poor job and A being perfect.... so classify it as a B restoration. I used to be in car sales and my best results were from E-bay. The autotrader web site did not give me one tenth of the results.<br /><br />I would also be patient and do a 10 day listing and be sure to set your reserve price. Do not let the auction end on a weekend and consider the time it ends too. I have sold cars from coast to coast and the bidding usually heats up at the end.<br /><br />Bob

Bondo

Staff member

I do know what "Resored" means to me,
Ayuh,.......<br />That's when you Smash your Thumb, the Second Time, with the Same Hammer, Isn't It ????? :D <br /><br />Seriously,<br />I Can't see Why you Can't call that car "Restored"....<br />It may not be a Show Winning Restoration, But it's Definitely been Restored.....<br /><br />Good Luck Dude...........

ndemge

Commander

I'll trade you a '71 1ton van fer it<br /><br />The engine just got a "frame off restoration" ...the rest of the van needs a lil help from you.

one more cast

Captain

The word restored scares me away.To me it means restored back to new condition. I would just tell it like it is.... Sharp '69 El Camino. I (as a buyer) would much rather be pleasantly impressed then disappointed. I'm not directing this at your car im just telling you what restored means to me. I like the word refurbished better. Also add words like Real head turner, classic,custom,clean,...

LubeDude

Admiral

Thanks everyone for your input. The car is deffinatly going on Ebay, they also give you a lot of room for the description. Ive sold one car there before, it allways amazes me as to the questions you get even when you have the answer in the description. People dont allways read it all before they start emailing.<br /><br />There was a 68 (This one is a 69), that went through a few days ago that brought $8100.00, I thought that my car was quite a bit nicer, and the "Restoration" on this car is fresher, vertually no miles since redone. Also this car has a new SS hood, $300.00 right there, also the 8" Corvette ralleys with new stainless trim rings, easily worth $500.00. The other car was equiped with a very generic set of stock wheels, and even though very clean, it didnt hold a candle to this one.<br /><br />This car needs a few things that I am not willing to do, one is a recrome on the front bumper as it has a couple small dents, also it could use a new fan shroud as this one has been cracked and repaired a couple of times somewhere down the road. There are several mouldings that have scratches, pitting or small dents. These are things that the next owner can do and I will be sure to mention these things.<br /><br />It has a new vynil top and windsheild, also new paint that is less than stellar, Im pretty critical on paint so most might think it was fine. Everything was removed before it was painted, but the prep work was lacking so it dosnt look real good under the lights.<br /><br />Once its up and running and all back together Ill post some more full car pictures.<br /><br />Does it run?? Not yet, maybe today!

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

I'm with OMC on this one. I would call it "refreshed" or "refurbished". When I think of "restored", I think of the car as being put back to original.<br /><br />Just my $.02<br /><br />AK Chappy

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Oh, BTW.<br />Did I say<br /><br /> VERY NICE JOB!!!!! <br /><br />You need to record the sounds of the engine and post it when you get it started. :) <br />Vrooom, Vroooom!!!<br /><br />AK Chappy

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

"customized" comes to mind, rather than restored.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Restified or Rodified. It shows that it has had a lot of work done, is a hot rod, and is clean.

Realgun

Commander

To bad its not a 70. My Dad owned one and I love the front end. My brother shot it in the fender. :) I would love to have another one but money is real tight. Hope you sell yours and get a good price. It really sounds like you took care of it.