74 Evenrude/Johnson 9.9

OldJunkyMotors

Recruit
So I don't know if I've posted this issue before or not, but I'm hoping that it would be an easy fix.

I got donated a 74 9.9 evenrude/johnson 2 stroke from a family member that wasn't running. I've managed to get it running again and have used it a few times now. The issue that I'm having is that I want to go trolling with the motor, but it doesn't want to idle. The stop button is not hooked up to anything, so the previous owner had turned the idle down so far that all you have to do is turn the throttle down to nothing and the engine will stall out. This causes a problem when I want to troll while fishing, as I don't want to be holding on to the throttle constantly. For the time being I've been using duct tape to hold the throttle where I wanted it, but it doesn't work all that well. So my question is, from the start button obviously one wire is going to be going to ground, but where does the other wire go to? If someone could take a picture of their motor and post it or PM me for my email address that would be incredibly useful!

thank you!

Rick.

Captain
Re: 74 Evenrude/Johnson 9.9

I was trying to get on the shop BRP site to see if the wiring is in there but the site won't work for me tonight. Does your motor have a slow speed adjustment knob on the lower cowling on the port side? My 79, 82 and 83 do and it works as a slow speed cruise control and especially useful for trolling. Basically, once set, it is a stop for your engine that you could set at 2 MPH run back and forth across the lake and turn the tiller down and you'll be going 2 MPH again. I know the kill switch just closes and completes a circuit to kill the engine. The ground on mine goes to the bolts on the ignition coils at the back but I don't remember where the other goes to. If you can find them you can probably just re-hook them and fix the kill switch. If you take the kill switch out and peel the rubber back there is a set of copper contacts in there that you can clean and it will probably fix it. I'll have a look for the other wire tomorrow and let you know if no one beats me to it. Best of luck. Rick.

The black/yellow wire goes into a three-pin connector running into the powerpack on later models, but your model has points and condenser. There must be a connector for the wires running from the stator to the coils where you can plug in the hot side of the kill switch. Igrew up in e. Ky./E. Tenn. hearing fishermen talk about their 'Evenrude'. In those days you rented a heavy, algae-covered barge of a dock boat for a few bucks and slung the 'Evenrude' on the back to go fishin' ('whar's tha channel!?').

I was trying to get on the shop BRP site to see if the wiring is in there but the site won't work for me tonight. Does your motor have a slow speed adjustment knob on the lower cowling on the port side? My 79, 82 and 83 do and it works as a slow speed cruise control and especially useful for trolling. Basically, once set, it is a stop for your engine that you could set at 2 MPH run back and forth across the lake and turn the tiller down and you'll be going 2 MPH again. I know the kill switch just closes and completes a circuit to kill the engine. The ground on mine goes to the bolts on the ignition coils at the back but I don't remember where the other goes to. If you can find them you can probably just re-hook them and fix the kill switch. If you take the kill switch out and peel the rubber back there is a set of copper contacts in there that you can clean and it will probably fix it. I'll have a look for the other wire tomorrow and let you know if no one beats me to it. Best of luck. Rick.

Last edited:

OldJunkyMotors

Recruit

P5130096.jpg

P5130097.jpg

P5130098.jpg

P5130099.jpg

P5130100.jpg

P5130101.jpg