$@$%&$ Digital camera problems again.

LubeDude

Admiral
Many of you know I had digital camera problems awhile back , (Toshiba PDR M65) This is the third one I have had to replace. The reason I kept with the same one is that I have many accesories for this camera so wanted to keep the same model. Well, the first one decided not to recognise the memory at all, the second one failed to turn one one day, and the third one now has decided not to format the memory card or even if it is formatted, it wont take a picture. Well, Im now going to get a different camera, three times is the charm. Just dont want to spend the money right now, but I need one. Anyone had one last more than a few months?

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: $@$%&$ Digital camera problems again.

I have an Olympus D-540. 3.2MP, 3x optical & 10x digital zoom. Its 12 months old now so a 4, 5 or 6 mpixel is probably the standard now.<br /><br />Great camera (no problems) but its the most power hungry on the market, I'm lucky to get 15 or 20 pics per set of batteries.<br /><br />Aldo

LubeDude

Admiral

Does anyone have a Minolta Dimage Z2 or Z3?

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Lube Dude...I need parts for my Toshiba. Can you contact me at AMDRules @ hotmail.com ?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

'dude. get yourself a fuji finepix 5000s. You won't regret it. They're about $300.00, have 10x optical with 22x digital, extremely user friendly, you can shoot one handed and the 4 AA's last forever. Here's a pic I took up on the Hood's Canal this summer, at 22x digital.<br />This was taken from the shore down to the end of a long pier at a Boy Scout camp.<br /><br />
037842.jpg
<br /><br />You don't need no stinkin accessories with this camera.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I'm still lovin my Kodak DX6490.<br />Had it about 10 months.<br />Battery lasts forever, a Li-ion rechargable.<br />Uses a standard SD memory card<br />10x optical doom plus the 3x digital zoom for a total of 30x zoom<br />4 mega pixels<br />several full auto modes,<br />Plus some full manual modes like on my old manual SLR's.<br />Digital viewfinder and a huge scteen on the back.<br /><br /> http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuer...q-path=1336&pq-locale=en_US&_requestid=100979 <br /><br /><br /> http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=9/19/131/1336/4258&pq-locale=en_US <br />The fuji finepix are nice too, but I liked the Kodak.

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a Kodak DC80 that has performed flawlessly for about 6 years. Just replaced it with the new Nikon SLR D70. Unbelievable. Learning the system now, but anticipate some great shooting this winter off of Clearwater.

sangerwaker

Commander

I,like roscoe, have the Kodak DX6490 and LOVE it. I looked at the Fuji S5000, but decided on the Kodak for the larger LCD screen (2.2") and it seemed a little easier to use. I have had it about 6 months now with absolutely no problems. Battery life is unbelievable, and picture quality is very good. I don't think you need any accesories with this camera either, other than maybe a spare battery if you take a ton of pictures, and a memory card.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I use a Hewlett-Packard 850. Its two years old and works great. 4.1 meg pixal, 8x optical zoom and 50 kazillion useless digial. Has been replaced by the HP 940. Upped the mp to 5.1 but its basically the same camera upgraded. New for about $400 or less.<br /><br />Features I like: Uses (rechargable) AA batteries, not a special battery, takes the SD digial memory card(I think this is the best digital media card) and has excellent color and white balance. Outstanding lense quality.<br /><br />Things I don't like about digital cameras in general: They seem slower than film cameras to auto focus and set aperature/exposure. Especially true on the more advanced cameras under $1000.00 or so. Often find myself pre-focusing (holding the "shutter" button half way down to hold focus/exposure) in high action situations (playing in the surf, etc) to get the shot the instant the "shutter" is tripped. Cheap fixed focus digitals don't have this problem.<br /><br />PS, my HP gets used by a lot of friends/relatives and gets bumped around a lot and still works great.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Nikon has treated me well.<br /><br />Get a replacement that uses the same media from your old one... you can save a buck or two.<br /><br />Bob

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Ditto roscoe and sangerwaker on the Kodak DX6490 - best bang for your buck too when compared to others like the Canons and Nikons in similar catagory.<br /><br />I'll add it comes with its own software (Kodak -Easy Share) and a small accessory photo printer is available if you have the need.<br /><br />again .. battery life is unbelievable plus it's rechargable.<br /><br />I suggest the memory card so you don't run out of space if you need to shoot a video clip or two while still taking a ton of photos. You'll want the card even if you don't shoot video for the added space.<br /><br />had mine between 6 and 8 months with no problems and its been tossed around a bit.<br /><br />good luck on the decision.

aspeck

Staff member

Have an Olympus (2 years now) and a Sony Mavica FD-9**. Both have been good cameras. Sony uses floppy disks - great, but when I want more pixels, can't hold too many. It is also big and bulky, but has a good feel in the hand. Olympus does everything the Mavica does, but is smaller. 10x optical zoom (I will never get a 5x or lower optical zoom) is great. From personal experience, the Sony and Olympus both have lasted a long time (Oh, did I mention that both cameras were reconditioned units when I bought them, so they were much cheaper to start with?)

one more cast

Captain

LubeDude, I found this site very helpful when I was looking for a new camera. I wanted one that didn't eat a lot of batteries and decided on a couple and then just did some price checking, watched an placed a few bids on eBay and won a Sony Cyber-shot P72 3.2 mp. I had a HP 1 mp before that is about 4 years old and still going strong. web page

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I am glad to hear that Kodak has a viable product. Kodak nearly went away. They kept their head in the sand way too long, at the advent of the digital age. They seem to have gotten back in the game. T'would be a shame to have such a fine old American name bite the dust.

LubeDude

Admiral

Thanks for all the replies, I have Smart media cards now, and will likly go to the SD with a new camera, Still havnt made up my mind, but will let ya all know what I get.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br /> Thanks for all the replies, I have Smart media cards now, and will likly go to the SD with a new camera, Still havnt made up my mind, but will let ya all know what I get.
Lubedude, the Fuji 5000s uses SD memory.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I've had my Sony Cybershot 2.1 megapixel (not the floppy version, its the memory stick version) since 2000 or 2001 (can't remember which year I bought it), I have beat that thing to death. It goes on every fishing trip, has been dropped, kicked, you name it, and it still works perfectly. The only downer is that I paid over $700 new, now a camera with more ability costs a third of that. Thats okay, it still takes great pics...

LubeDude

Admiral

The kicker here is that I take such good care of these cameras, they have never been dropped or abused in any way, they look like new when they go to crap, thats why it ticks me off about it. I have over $600.00 in this pile of no good camers now, when I could have bought a better camera in the first place. These cameras cost over $700.00 when they came out a few years ago.<br /><br />I can probably recover about $100.00 by selling the accesories and all the memory I have on Ebay.

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

JasonJ, I know what you mean. I purchased a Kodak DC280 when they first came out. 2.0 MP's. Over $500 bucks. That hurts, but considering how long I have owned it and the beating I have given it I can't complain. Piers, boats, airplanes, third world countries, and even a Greyhound Bus. The last trip I put it through was 3 weeks ago in Tombstone AZ. Then I retired it.