1985 30 hp evinrude cutout at full throttle

dwwalte

Recruit
I have a long shaft 30 hp evinrude that has not been ran alot in the last 3-4 yrs. Ran it last weekend and it ran good till coming back in. At full throttle it would slip like something had got on the prop. When throttle was backed off it still ran fine. Will the lower gear oil level or condition cause this?

thanks

dwwalte

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 30 hp evinrude cutout at full throttle

You say "it would slip like something had got on the prop". I'm not sure what that means.

Did the engine rev up and the boat slow down (prop slipping, etc), or did the rpms simply drop such as a rag got tanggled up in the prop?

dwwalte

Recruit

It sounds like the rpms increase and the prop could be slipping.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Disconnect plug wires from plugs. Block propeller with a 2x4 or board of your choice. Have long breaker bar and proper socket on flywheel nut, apply a great amount of pressure in a clockwise direction. If you're able to turn the flywheel and the hub within the prop turns, have the propeller rehubbed.

martycoghill

Recruit

i had the same problem. But i was just stupid. When I was tilting down to put my motor in the water, the lever that locks it into place was set to high up. So when my boat got on plane, it was bringing the prop almost out of the water which also made it sound like it was skipping and all the stuff you mentioned. So make sure that you are lowering your motor far enough in the water... Stupid, but not uncommon I imagine...