Update

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Update

Y'alls pics remind me how far I still have to go on mine. I love seeing them though.

Checkered Past looks almost as though it would flip over backwards if you throttled it. What drivetrain are you running in it?

aristocraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It has a 140 HP MarinePower inline4, paragon gears direct drive in it. its quite a fun ride!

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

Boy, I'll bet it is fun. I'm getting out of here for Thanksgiving. All the best to you and yours and I'll check back on Monday.

ziggy

Admiral

Hey Ziggy, I will start with your last statement about the carpet. Just last week I was on the phone with out upholstery guy, and he said that he got a new book of outdoor carpets in and one was bright green. Not to get your hopes up because most of the time they don't match, but I will be there next week and I will be checking into it....
thanks for keeping an eye out for me Scott. i would think close would be ok as i've not even found anything even close color wise. though hydroturf would be close color wise. but i personally don't think i want hydro turf. i want carpet.

The flat top box was a different motor box design that came out in mid 78,
they do look different than mine. looks like a storage pocket in the ft. + what appears to be air induction in the back.. does the air induction do anything as far as the way they run? i like the dog house on the older ones. like my '75. once in a while i think of cutting a hole in the raised part of mine, where i put the 165hp sticker at. ram air... do you think that'd do anything for performance?
probably just make it louder i suppose.. :rolleyes:

Yes The 470 moves the boat very nice, tons of power, and when they came out with the 470 boat was re-rated for 170 HP.
thanks for the clarification. was the 170 hp mercruiser the largest hp engine put into a nineteen? what kinda speeds are achieved with the 170? my 165hp does about 42ish @ the top of wot spec. 19P aluminum mercrusier prop...

AS per the OMC MERC debate, they both have they ups and downs. I have owned and still do both, and are very happy with both. with proper maintenance, both will give you worry free use. MY current nineteen with the OMC is great. It has yet to give me a problem, and I am enjoying it.
yep, i believe that, especially the "with proper maintenance" part. i'm convinced boats do like pm for sure.

your red Nineteen is outstanding Scott. she's a beauty for sure...
checkered past is outstanding too. a real inboard, wow... too cool... thanks for sharing...

Y'alls pics remind me how far I still have to go on mine.
ah, but you are on the water in your Nineteen db. that's what's important... your still getting all the benefits that Nineteens offer and they offer a lot too.... starting with the shade and lack of wind. and it goes on from there too, as you well know..... ;) :)

Happy Thaksgiving to all....

Last edited:

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

BTW, I don't remember if I mentioned having the prop fixed or not. As it turned out it is a Michigan Bronze speed prop with a 21p. The guy did a good job and it looks almost polished even though it isn't.

I still want a lower idle to make marina maneuvering easier.

ziggy

Admiral

no pics of your shiny bronze prop db? sure would like to see it.... ;)

so are you able to spin it in the recommended wot spec range. 3900-4300rpm? i had a 21p, 3 blade aluminum when i got my boat. it was too much prop for me as i couldn't reach wot spec. w/o trimming up to much...

I still want a lower idle to make marina maneuvering easier.
+ if your idle is too high. your gonna damage your clutch dog when shifting too i think. it needs to idle real low for a proper shift. think i'm in the 600rpm range at idle... +, like ya say, it is much easier to maneuver around the marina with a low idle speed for sure...

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

my idle is around 750 and I haven't ever taken a pic of the prop that I remember. Like stainless but gold color.

I though about dragging a sea anchor to slow her down. WOT is not a problem even with 2 kids on a tube.

ziggy

Admiral

my idle is around 750
that seems tolerable. spec is 650-700 in fwd. maybe with your only slightly high idle + yer 21p prop. that what makes it go so fast idling around. like i said i think i'm at around 600 + i got a 19p. i do move pretty slow when idling in fwd.
I haven't ever taken a pic of the prop that I remember. Like stainless but gold color.
i'm pretty bad about taking pics of my boat. specially after i got a digital camera a while ago... man, i bet the bronze prop is to much. bet that really spruces up the look of the drive real well....

WOT is not a problem
which is? ;) ;)

my normal load is 2 people. usually get right at 4300. couple a runs this summer i was by myself. saw 4400... :eek: she sure was wound tight..... also saw while cleaning my prop up for winter layup that i got me a few cavitation burns in my prop now.... :( not real bad. yet... i'm gonna have to keep an eye on it now that i see them developing..

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

Did the "winterize" last night and I'll have to put a new impeller in next spring. It did fine on the muffs. But, it didn't pick up from the bucket. I had to pull the upper hose and fill it from there. I left the bunny ears on it with a 3/4" plug in it to hold the antifreeze in there longer.

I don't imagine it will hurt anything to leave it setting full.

ziggy

Admiral

I'll have to put a new impeller in next spring.
does that mean ya didn't drain the gear lub and replace it? if not, ya might consider doing that. checking for water intrusion and metal fragments. 'if' you have water intrusion into the gear lub. that'd mean water and lub will be in it over the winter. water in the lub would be bad. as dons and others have told me. when the lub's drained is the time to do the impeller. that way ya don't have to reuse or buy another round of gear lub when changing the impeller come spring. also, prior to reassembly, i do a pressure/vac test so i think my seals are hip for next season. figure better to find out in fall than next spring when i wanna use it...

I left the bunny ears on it with a 3/4" plug in it to hold the antifreeze in there longer.

I don't imagine it will hurt anything to leave it setting full.
i wouldn't think so either. but assuming your storing it with the drive down. all the water will run out of the drive. leaving air. air don't freeze.
i'm storing my drive inside in the basement. while i've already done the deed for impeller replacement. you can do it at your leisure over the winter. here's what i used to cover my bellhousing...

IMG_4246.jpg

IMG_4248.jpg

note the anti freeze in the water passage. i don't know why that occurs. i am curious too. after draining all the water out of the system, i fill w/anti freeze via the tstat for the block (i take the tstat cover off and remove the tstat) and the water inlet to the manifold for that. fill both till full. somehow the anti freeze gets over the riser and gets stopped at my cover. obviously i have a seal at the cover, though it wasn't intentional.

note the cokebottle green plexiglass.... original AristoCraft center windshield panel. poor Scott. shipped me 2 panels. both broke in transit by the ups man.... one even shipped to the wrong address. one street off to the north. it was sent to the right address too. anyways, i put one of them panels to good use. made a bellhousing cover out of it. is color coordinated to my windshield to boot.... what more could i want..... :cool:

anyways, then i service my drive at my convenience inside over the winter layup.. the bellhousing end has already been done. ie. grease and inspect coupler, inspect bellows, inspect gimble brg., alignment. which i think i may recheck in the spring. it felt a little off. i'm assuming because i had to rise my engine to remove the drain plug from the oil pan to cure a leaky oil pan plug. which 'i think' i've got cured.... i hope... was getting to be a bummer taping a new paper towel under my pan for every outing...

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

As soon as I get a little more time I'm going to drop the foot and switch the impeller. I changed the gear oil in Sept and only took it out a few times after that. It should still be good. What I drained out was a little milky. But, I don't know how long it had been in there. I also have a leak on my tilt/trim that I need to get taken care of over the winter as well.

Odds and ends they never cease.

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

I changed the gear oil in Sept and only took it out a few times after that. It should still be good. What I drained out was a little milky. But, I don't know how long it had been in there [/QUOTE]

old thread i know :/
no matter if its been 10 years or whatever it shouldnt be milky unless there water getting in! better check it if it hasnt froze and popped it apart :0
been there seen it happen

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

Just to get back up to speed. I dropped the foot and everything looked good. If it is leaking in,it is a very small leak.

I replaced the water pump and all worn seals while I was at it. I am currently in the process of building a new center section from mahogany planks and sugar maple strips (old style). The nonremovable portion between the seats will have mathching flush hatch lids. I've only gotten the first 50" or so done and still have the rest of the way to go.

BTW - I may rebuild the entire dash the same way. no pics yet. I also intend to add some form of a bowsprit to act as an anchor davit. If anyone has ideas, throw them at me.

ziggy

Admiral

great to see ya back db. sounds like your getting ready for the season. sweet.

If it is leaking in,it is a very small leak.
a pressure/vac. test would tell you if it is.
I am currently in the process of building a new center section from mahogany planks and sugar maple strips (old style). The nonremovable portion between the seats will have mathching flush hatch lids.
that's gonna look cool db. i've seen one other nineteen with wood layed down for the ski locker. it looked pretty darn good. if i understand ya right. your gonna have openable lids for the stationary section. that sounds good too. that space is kinda hard to use since it's kind of in accessible. hope ya put up some pics of the progress.

sorry i've no idea for a pulpit. let us know what ya do about that too. deploying an anchor on a nineteen isn't one of the easier things to do, imho. i do it. but less so than i would if i could deploy and retrieve it easier...

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

The anchor thing was one I learned on the first season. It is a critical safety issue to be able to easily deploy and store an anchor. I intend to design it so that I can also add a boarding ladder there for when i nose her onto the beach.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I have made no progress since last posting. My wife went into the hospital (recovered and home now no other problem) The rains were torrential and I was bushogging the yard for hours when a couple showed up to look at buying my Glastron. They looked the whole day and we even took it out on the lake and let them run her for a few hours. (I enjoyed sitting on the ramp and watching the old girl stretch her legs a bit)

In the end they decided it was a bit too much boat for them right now. Then we spent all of Mothers day babysitting and had a good time.

But, I didn't get anything done.

ziggy

Admiral

My wife went into the hospital (recovered and home now no other problem)
that sounds like some real progress to me. just not with the boat. glad to hear all is working out well for her. that don't always happen with a trip to the hospital..

sounds like it wasn't for ya not showing off your glastron that it didn't sell. seems ya went the extra mile to me. maybe the next folks will bite.
But, I didn't get anything done.
as long as that don't happen all the time. you'll be alright. + it was mothers day and it sounds like ya had a great day all in all. that'd be a good day in my book weather something was accomplished or not.....:)

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

I got no complaints at all. I just got off with a fellow that wants to swap me a 2000 f-250 for the Glastron. He is just so far south of me and I don't want to swap with anyone that hasn't run the boat.

Those things aren't exactly a "learner" boat.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

Picked up a Hummingbird 785i(?) with a dash mount kit and a new 12v powered anchor windlass with a bow roller.

Looks like I will be redesigning the dash as well now. My wife thinks we won't be getting it out this summer. I keep telling her not to worry. I'm thinking a mahogany waterfall type to the right of the driver and adding a matching glovebox on the passenger side.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

http://s763.photobucket.com/albums/xx271/dbkerley/Projects/

There are a couple of pics of the unfinished floor in place. The close-up section is the stern end at the dog house and the other shows the full run. I haven't put any finish on any of it yet.

I intend to mat and glass the backside and then resin coat the tops. I'm still working on the bow and the redesign for the dash. I did one bowsprit design last night and the wife and I both agreed it was ugly.