1973 wellcraft 165 sport airslot project w/ pics

iaffboater

Cadet
Re: 1973 wellcraft 165 sport airslot project w/ pics

Lookin good Chris. It's killin me that I haven't been able to work on mine. Looking forward to seeing yours done...

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Oh yes, Chris has drain holes for his drain holes, with pvc pipe inserts cut out and epoxied in to keep any chance of seepage out of the wood, drainage should never be a problem on his boat... Not to mention its strong enough to do the boat jump in 007's "Live and Let Die movie"...:cool:

Damn right!:D I WILL jump it! And I wont be concerned. Love that.

chrishayes

Lookin good Chris. It's killin me that I haven't been able to work on mine. Looking forward to seeing yours done...

Thanks buddy, oh, and dont wait up! It will be awhile.

chrishayes

boat085-1.jpg

racinrc14

Petty Officer 2nd Class

however, it is just blah white and has sticker graphics that are rather 80's.

Yeah, I guess I'm kinda old school, I like the checkers. I paint R/C car bodies in my spare time, and I use them (checkers) a lot. Some day I hope to apply my airbrush to my own boat.......:redface: ....but it seems like winter's breathing down my neck.

system-f

I feel sorry for you guys up there regarding winter. I am still trying to figure out how to make poly happy in my garage and it will only get down to 40-50 outside and hotter in the garage. Heck, my boating season isn't even over yet.

chrishayes

I feel sorry for you guys up there regarding winter. I am still trying to figure out how to make poly happy in my garage and it will only get down to 40-50 outside and hotter in the garage. Heck, my boating season isn't even over yet.

Heck my boating season isnt over yet...blehh blahh blah, im a texan and im special god loves us more:mad::p:D My current plans are to have my baby and raise him/her to grade school age then move back to the southwest where the sun shines all year and the leaves dont turn.

Speaking of my baby, we went yesterday for the ultra sound and for the first time in 8 years of trying we have a baby in the right place with a heartbeat that we got to hear!!!!!!!!! All you daddys out there can relate to the elation that that brought to us. I think I may actually be a dad this time:eek:

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congrats, I hope you know what your gettin yourself into. LOL

system-f

Heck my boating season isnt over yet...blehh blahh blah, im a texan and im special god loves us more

I'm not THAT kind of Texan :p

Speaking of my baby, we went yesterday for the ultra sound and for the first time in 8 years of trying we have a baby in the right place with a heartbeat that we got to hear!!!!!!!!!

Congrats, that is some BIG news!!!!

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Great news on hearing the heartbeat. I wish the best for you and your wife.

thrillhouse700

Looks great chris, if you do paint it do yourself a favor and don't do the 2 part epoxy primer I am still cursing myself to sleep every night. Actually if u want to do the 2 part its not THAT bad just thin it properly.

I always enjoy looking at your thread cuz u did such a beautiful job on the stringers.

chrishayes

Looks great chris, if you do paint it do yourself a favor and don't do the 2 part epoxy primer I am still cursing myself to sleep every night. Actually if u want to do the 2 part its not THAT bad just thin it properly.

I always enjoy looking at your thread cuz u did such a beautiful job on the stringers.

I sure do appreciate that! It was tough but fun in a strange way. I now am battling with the rear most section of the deck. I screwed up...its about 5/8" too high. So it doesnt contact the hull at the outer edge. I found this out after putting a screw in each stringer across the edge of the panel. Doing this straightened the sheet out which obviously had a crown in it that I did not notice because when I test fit everything several times all was well but it was the warp of the ply that allowed the outer edges to sit lower...it was a gut shot! I havent worked on it since last Saturday. I refuse to cut the stringers down after working so hard on the 1708 wrap so I have devised a plan that will work well I think. I am also getting dangerously slow at work so I am watching my wallet more and more and it seems that EVERY time I work on the boat I end up at the harware store with 60 dollars worth of crap for the boat and 80 dollars worth of other junk that I didnt intend to buy.

My other hobby has been getting more attention as well. I bit on a new all in one reef tank to replace my old one so I have been working on setting it up properly with all the goodies that I have been squirreling away for the past few years. I needed a boat break anyways. However it is starting to freeze overnight so the garage is getting close to being home to cars instead of boats...

THanks you guys on the well wishes with the bambino. On a related note, the job I am doing is a church school and while doing some demo work inside the existing building there were a bunch of kids in the gym where they have a stage with orchestra instruments. Those little bastards were whaling on each one in the most nerveracking way. TIP>dont let 8 year olds play drums! It helped me remember how much I still need to work on my patience so that I dont build my kid a playpen outdoors with a heated water bowl for the winter!

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

THanks you guys on the well wishes with the bambino. On a related note, the job I am doing is a church school and while doing some demo work inside the existing building there were a bunch of kids in the gym where they have a stage with orchestra instruments. Those little bastards were whaling on each one in the most nerveracking way. TIP>dont let 8 year olds play drums! It helped me remember how much I still need to work on my patience so that I dont build my kid a playpen outdoors with a heated water bowl for the winter!

The day your little bambino is born, you will inherit a lot of patience and what would be annoying now to you will be come adorable after. Only a screaming kid at a resturant where the adults don't do anything but leave the kid there screaming during the whole dinner gets to me. IMO, it's not even the kid fault, it's the adults who have no respect for others trying to eating their dinner.

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

The day your little bambino is born, you will inherit a lot of patience and what would be annoying now to you will be come adorable after. Only a screaming kid at a resturant where the adults don't do anything but leave the kid there screaming during the whole dinner gets to me. IMO, it's not even the kid fault, it's the adults who have no respect for others trying to eating their dinner.

Amen to that big red. Chris the boat is looking good now lets get some pics of the deck glassed in. :D

chrishayes

I have to get the deck height issue solved first 83! I will be working on it tomorrow. We shall see how it goes...thanks for the push though, I have not even looked at the boat in a week now:eek:

thrillhouse700

Whats your plan for the deck height? We are worried we are going to have the same problem with the front bow seats on the cap meeting the deck and not sitting correctly. So let me know! We may just cut the bow seat floor out and glass it directly to the deck.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Just checking in on you to see how you're coming along. I hope the deck isn't giving you too much trouble.

chrishayes

Just checking in on you to see how you're coming along. I hope the deck isn't giving you too much trouble.

No, with the weather changing and the baby news getting more prevalent each day I have been relegated to baby room prep. For some reason the primer we used on the walls has made the paint bubble and just able to be peeled off in big sheets...I have not even looked at the boat guys. I hate making all these excuses but they are true. Life happens too. I have been so wrapped up in the boat work all spring and summer that a LOT of things have went undone. Not to mention that those with a desire to live in the country on acreage just dont get that it is nearly a full time job in itself just to maintain it and god forbid once the leaves start falling in the next few weeks it is only gonna get worse. Also the cars are getting frost on them in the mornings so the wife and I are griping about the boat being in the garage.

My plan is to see how hard fixing the height issue is gonna be then make a decision to either finish the deck paint and all or removing the section I already have down and temporarily put the cap back on so that I can put the cover on her for the winter. Either way, the hull work is gonna be on hold til spring after this weekend. My goal is to have the motor complete and ready to go before March then the hull will be finished so that the boat can be ready for water next summer. We have a due date of May 30th for the baby Hayes and I KNOW that will put a damper on working on it so it MUST be done by then.

I am gonna miss working on it though and any nice days we get on the weekends I will wheel it into the garage and fire up the heater to see if I can get more work done. We shall see. THanks for checking in on me. Do you plan to keep up with yours this winter?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

As someone who had a major painting disaster in our (now 2 yr old) baby's room.....I feel your pain!

(Sears paint did not at all adhere to the Dutch Boy "goes on pink then turns white ceiling paint" so when I peeled the tape off the the wall/ceiling joint it pulled like ALL the paint off......murderous rage.....)

chrishayes

I will post a picture of it ez. It is QUITE a mess. The only solution that we have had any luck with so far is to sand the paint and primer completely away! Can you imagine using a palm sander on all 4 walls in a typical bedroom? Ill let you know what its like...