pricing for rebuilts & install??

booboo7353

Cadet
Trying to get a baseline price on how much it would cost to buy a rebuilt motor and to have it installed professionally? I am lloking at two boats one has a 5.7L merc the other 7.4L. Oh yea both need stern drive as well. thanxs ben

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: pricing for rebuilts & install??

$5-$7K......
I also depends on what bolt ons are re-useable.....

Bondo

Staff member

Oh yea both need stern drive as well. thanxs ben

When you Include the Drives,+ Labor for somebody to Do the work,..........

I'd Double the figures stated by Haut..........

DHPMARINE

Captain

Chances are that a boat that needs an engine AND a drive needs lots more.Read holes patched,gelcoat,electric malfunctions ........

Just so you are aware.Maybe better to buy something that at least runs,so you can see what else is broke.

DHP

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Bondo, I think he means one or the other......:):)
I agree with DHP, if they are running & tired it's one thing....
If neither is running, it can get real expensive, real fast when you need to start buying other stuff......;)

booboo7353

Cadet

Haut said:
$5-$7K......
I also depends on what bolt ons are re-useable.....

Na what it is, is they take the engines out of the boats. They are like reposed boats or something. They are in decent shape just w/o an engine.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

If you needing an engine and drive package, about the best bang for the buck is the Mercruiser 383 and drive package (320 hp). This is a complete engine, drive and transom mounting hardware including tilt and trim pump. If you shop it around you will find them for around 14 thousand dollars including a two year factory warranty. Add 3 to 5 grand for a big block package.

Does NOT include labor.:'(

booboo7353

Cadet

THAT PACKAGE SOUNDS GOOD BUT NOT 14000+ DOLLAR GOOD.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Engines and drives never are cheap.Are you saying they take good engines out and try to sell you the boat that way ?

I'd guess you'll need :

motor mounts.wiring harness,flywheel and housing,carb,starter,manifolds,rocker covers,engine coupler,and much,much more.

DHP

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

I had my engine replaced with a new base engine about 3 years ago by the Volvo Penta dealer here. Came out around $5500, but that's just for a direct engine swap. By the time you add a drive and every other part like DHP mentioned, I also think you're looking at 10K plus easily. What kind of deal are they giving you on hulls anyway? You could get a very nice running boat for what it will cost you to make one starting with only a hull, or you could buy a used same model boat with a good driveline and use its parts...