How do I know that I have a towing package? Blazer suv.

Nandy

Commander
Blazer 1999, 4wd 4.3l, 4 dr
I see the transmission lines going into a radiator, there is also what it looks like a small radiator before the large one. Not sure if I have a towing package or not. I also recall being told that when towing I should use 3 instead of D. This kills my mileage but if that saves my transmission then I am all for it. However, I would like to hear why does that helps the transmission and what will happen if I don't. I'm sure plenty of people don't do this, I know I didn't when I was towing the small boat. It was when I started to tow the larger boat that I start seeing a bit or temperature climbing that then I started digging around.....

Thanks!

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: How do I know that I have a towing package? Blazer suv.

On most late models a 7 pin trailer receptacle and factory receiver hitch are a dead giveaway of a tow package vehicle.
My 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee has the factory tow package and has a receiver hitch and the 7 pin receptacle, on the topside of the receiver it even says what class the hitch is (I think its V5?) and says the tow ratings, 6 cyl 5000 and V8 6500.
My 99 V8 Exploder does not have a factory tow package and instead has a "hidden hitch" brand receiver and a flat 4 receptacle mounted in a nice bracket, almost looks factory. Don't know about the trans cooler but the truck tows nicely and is a preferred ride with its heated seats, AWD and 5.0 engine.

I never user overdrive while towing anything over 1500 pounds as the bit of extra gas I burn is always cheaper and easier than swapping out the transmission. The overdrive clutch is the smallest of all the clutch's and is not designed to handle huge heavy loads also the overdrives high gear ratio is nice for sipping gas but does not afford much towing power and as such slight grades or a slight tip in of the throttle will kick it out of overdrive and back into 3rd, it will hunt back and forth as long as it is allowed or until the clutch cooks and it no longer moves.

IMO the 4L60E in that S truck will appreciate the OD off with 2000 pound load.
My rule of thumb for OD lockout is if I am pulling a load that is equal to half the weight of the vehicle I want to lock OD out.
All my experiences are with light duty 4 speed automatics, no Allison's, Torqshift's, ZF 6 speeds or Twin Disk super transmissions here. :mad:

sportsmanphil

Petty Officer 1st Class

I worked for GM for more than 10 years........

The term "tow package" is not what it seems. Actually, its mostly fluff.

I will need the "G" and "Z" codes off the Opt code sticker in the glove box to tell you for sure.

The S Blazer was never designed as a real "tow" vehicle but is capable of towing up to 5500 lbs "if properly equiped".

An aux. trans cooler is not a sure sign of a tow package as some had aux coolers but never even came with a hitch.

The "tow package" usually came with a lower axle gear and a GovLoc or G80 (one of the op codes in the glove box) the aux trans cooler and Bilstein shocks.

Take a pic of the op code chart in the glove box and post it and I can track the codes down for you and tell you what you have.

As for the OD vs D. The trans is a 4 speed with a locking torque converter, which feels like a 5 speed (over drive).

When towing the torque converter will go crazy locking and unlocking. This will increase the temp of the trans fluid and increase ware. It can also increase the engine temp as the trans fluid is cooled in the radiator. SO if the trans temp is getting hot, it will heat the engine coolant in radiator.

Towing in D will prevent the torque converter from hunting from lock to unlock but will make the engine operate at a higher RPM, causing your loss of fuel economy.

If the load is light and you are on flat ground, test it in OD and see if the converter is locking and unlocking. You will notice the RPM jumping back and forth and hear it along with feeling it. It will really depend on how flat the ground is, how fast you try to tow and the weight of what you are towing.

But test it, if it hunts drop it in D and slow down a few mile per hour.

Post that op code chart in your glove box and I will dig up whats list on your blazer.

Phil

Nandy

Commander

Gu6 zbf zm8 zq3 zq6 zw7 zy1

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Mind if I thread-jack a bit, as I have been wondering the same thing about my 03 Blazer LS..

GU6 ZBF ZM8 ZQ3 ZQ6 ZY1 Z85

sportsmanphil

Petty Officer 1st Class

GU6 is a 3.42:1 axle ratio

ZBF is not listed, sure you are correct on that one? But it will have something to do with tire size.

ZM8 is an electrical tailgate.

ZQ3 is a drivers convenience package

ZQ6 is a sales package (bunch of small stuff combined)

ZW7 is "premium smooth ride" (AKA weak leaf springs and soft shocks)

ZY1 is a color combo.

SO the answer is NO you do not have what would be considered as a tow package.

You would want the 3.73:1 ratio (or a 4.10 which was mostly in the 4 bangers)

You would also want the Z85 suspension package for 'incrase capacity'

sportsmanphil

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mind if I thread-jack a bit, as I have been wondering the same thing about my 03 Blazer LS..

GU6 ZBF ZM8 ZQ3 ZQ6 ZY1 Z85

Gu6 is the 3:42 gear ratio

ZBF..twice this one posted,,, and my junk dont list it :confused:

ZM8 is the electrical tailgate

ZQ3 is cruise and tilt

ZQ6 Sales package

ZY1 is solid paint

Z85 is the extra capacity suspension package.

The gear ratio isnt great for towing but you have the suspension.

Do you have a G80 listed?

sportsmanphil

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did some research on ZBF. It had to do with a Vette engine option but for the S-10 it relates to what appears to be a full size spare tire.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

No G80 for me.

I replaced the shocks in mine just after buying it ~5 months ago, since it seemed to bounce a lot. Maybe it is just a Blazer thing (~70K on it, so maybe it just needed shocks, too). Sometimes it feels as though it is going to break in half when I go over train tracks and the like. Weird ride in these things. Overall a nice budget SUV from what I can tell so far.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Vette engine option

Now Phil, that is just plain mean! You list a 'Vette engine option, then tell us it just means a spare tire :p For a fraction of a second I was internally jumping for joy! hehe.

Thanks for the info. I thought it was weird they didn't include any indicators for towing, limited-slip, etc.

sportsmanphil

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now Phil, that is just plain mean! You list a 'Vette engine option, then tell us it just means a spare tire :p For a fraction of a second I was internally jumping for joy! hehe.

Thanks for the info. I thought it was weird they didn't include any indicators for towing, limited-slip, etc.

There is a package for towing for the C/K or Silverado truck but not for the S-blazers.

The S trucks did have the limited-slip (the G80 which stood for Government 1980)

Its actually not a limited-slip but much better. It was the first automatic true LOCKING differential.

So if you have the code G80 on your label of any GM truck/SUV you have the locking diff.

Now for those with the G80, they will not lock at high axle speed. So if you have a tire spinning, back off the throttle almost to a crawl and the G80 will kick in locking both sides of the axle 100% until the force reduced and the axle equals out.

The_Kid

Chief Petty Officer

In all fairness, He just said Vette. He didn't say if it was a Corvette, or Chevette engine option.:D

sportsmanphil

Petty Officer 1st Class

HAHA,, no it actually was linked to a Corvette engine option but also to a full size spare tire option.

Which brings me to the link that was just posted. The generic RPO list is a good way of buzzing the op codes but as with the ZBF code, it is associated with two different cars for two different things.

The best way is to look the code options up by the body code. The body code is the 5th digit of the VIN. I look up RPO's by starting with the body code and then the RPO's that were used under that body.

For example, if you have a 1997 Chevrolet Z71 older body style) the 5th digit would be a K. (K = 4x4; C = 2wd) The "Z71" looks cool on the bed but its actually the RPO or op code for the "off road' package. Just like ZR1 is the op code for 'performance package' on the vette. The Z06 sounds cool but again, its just an op code for the engine. etc etc.

Chrysler/Jeep uses a 2 diget body code. The 4th and 5th digit of the VIN. Like the new round headlight Jeep is called a TJ, Cherokee is an XJ and the Grand Cherokee is the ZJ. Older Jeeps had the CJ5 (short wheel base) CJ7 (medium wheel base) CJ8 Scrambler (long wheel base) and some that may not know, there was a CJ6 which had the CJ8 bed but the CJ5 door (short hump door but scrambler bed) That Jeep is rare and will fetch some good $$$$.

Sorry for the ramble,,, just a gear head at heart

Someone needs to remind me to post some pics of my last completed project 67 Chevelle with a 572 crate. ;)

MikDee

Banned

GU6 is a 3.42:1 axle ratio

ZBF is not listed, sure you are correct on that one? But it will have something to do with tire size.

ZM8 is an electrical tailgate.

ZQ3 is a drivers convenience package

ZQ6 is a sales package (bunch of small stuff combined)

ZW7 is "premium smooth ride" (AKA weak leaf springs and soft shocks)

ZY1 is a color combo.

SO the answer is NO you do not have what would be considered as a tow package.

You would want the 3.73:1 ratio (or a 4.10 which was mostly in the 4 bangers)

You would also want the Z85 suspension package for 'incrase capacity'

If Nandy's towing either of the boats in his signature, I don't think he needs more then that 3:42 rear, I doubt either one is more then 2500lbs total. I tow my heavier 19' Bayliner, & 125hp Force with a 95' S-10 4.3V6 2WD with a 3:08 rear no problem. Just keep it out of OD.
Here's a link that may help:
http://www.campinglife.com/towratin...el=Blazer/Jimmy+(4WD)&min_tlimit=&max_tlimit=