Honda 30

Mike in MN

Recruit
I own a 2003 Honda 30 HP. I started to have problems at the end of last year trolling - I troll all day long, which I know is hard on the engine. I have been very careful about keeping my gas "new" using stabilizers and adding SeaFoam for the carbs. I ended up taking the motor to a Honda dealer - they made some "carb adjustments" and seemed to take care of the problem for awhile. However, I began experiencing the same problem again this year - the engine seems to "load up" after extended periods of trolling. However, the time it takes to start running poorly seems to vary. It's as if it needs gas as it starts to sputter and shake when trolling at lowest speeds. It never has a problem starting, only trolling at slow speed.<br /><br />I guess my question is, is it normal to go in for a $200.00 carb adjustement every year? I am wondering if it could be the idle adjustment - maybe need to increase the idle?<br /><br />I owned a 1998 25 Honda which ran beautifully for 5 years with no additional adjustments needed.<br /><br />Any advise is very appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks in advance, Mike

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Honda 30

Mike, <br /><br />First off, Welcome to the forum :D <br /><br />No a carb adjustment isn't needed unless you physically tinker with it yearly...<br /><br />Could be a couple of things...<br /><br />Next time it starts to load up, give the primer bulb a couple of squeezes. If it smooths out, then your problem is coming from the fuel delivery system (fuel pump, hoses, or tank). <br /><br />Is the tank vented properly? If you unscrew the tank filler cap there should be no pressure exiting the tank.<br /><br />Lastly, replace the plugs. Bad plugs will cause the symptoms you are describing. The engine will run rough and occasionally sputter at idle.<br /><br />If these three areas are OK, then it very well need to adjust the idle up a tad.<br /><br />Nav :cool:

Mike in MN

Recruit

Navigator,<br /><br />Thank you very much for the tips. I've tried the gas bubble thing - might be the plugs although they were changed last fall...but I'm sure all that trolling takes its toll on them. I will try new plugs.<br /><br />Thanks again, Mike

mathbeak

Cadet

My BF50 (see post lower down about "year of manufacture")had carbs that from "new" (see previous post again about this idea of "new")were badly out of sync. The dealer had a crude set of vacuum gauges on a plywood board, and that was it. Once I balanced them myself, with a home-made liquid manometer, the trolling became smooth and regular, where previously the motor had spluttered and stalled a few times.<br /><br />My 2¢ worth,<br />Alan L. in BC

Drowned Rat

Captain

Just a thought. You say you're adding fuel stabilizers and Sea Foam. Might be too much. Use one or the other. I'd probably just use Sea Foam if anything. Try running straight fuel and see what happens.

jnygaard

Recruit

I had a similar problem with my Honda 15. It would load up with gas - black soot on the lower unit was the telltale symptom. Turns out this was happening because I had set the idle down so it would troll slower (I use it for trolling on Lake Superior, often troll for the whole day.) I never connected the problem with my tinkering but that's what it was. Now that the idle speed is kept at factory spec. the problem has disappeared.

pwiseman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have noticed that my honda does not really like non oxygenated 91 octane gas so I switched to the 87 with 10% ethanol. Seems to start better both cold and warm with the 87 gas. I did not see any soot until I started using the corn gas. My idle speed is running at about 750 RPM on the tach.<br /><br />I do not use stabilizers, because I use the boat often. I get a little rough on the idle from time to time, but overall it seems pretty good.<br /><br />I would say try some gas some different octane gas and see what happens. Also try running without the additive. You might just want to try one gallon in a seperate tank. I have a 3 gallon and a 6 gallon, which allows me to compare. I am a bit surprised that the 91 gas is not working well. I plan to try another batch soon as I could have got some bad gas on the first tank I tried. I just got my motor July 1st, and I have about 50 hours on it now. <br /><br />Overall my Honda does not idle as well as my merc 50 EFI did. Probably some of it is efi and some is having 4 cylinder vs. 3. I am happy with the Honda so far - just figuring out what it wants right now. I am a big time troller as well, and I try to open it up once every hour or so. I worry abit about trolling for long periods too.