1969 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp fuel problem

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1969 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp fuel problem

It sounds like you have covered most of the things that usually cause this sort of problem. The one thing you haven't done is plug wires. You may want to look at putting a fresh set of wires on.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

So here I am again asking for help. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to address this. I'm sure learning a lot!

Have you played with the setting of the high speed jet while you're running?

dipfortuna

Seaman Apprentice

yeah, I forgot to mention that I played w/ the low speed adjustment with no improvement. I suppose I should replace the wires. They look fine but I have to cover every base. Should I look in to replacing the fuel lines from the pump to the carb?

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The low speed adjustment should have little bearing on your problem. Your motor has a fixed high speed jet and can't be adjusted. Did you thoroughly clean the high speed jet and associated passageways during your rebuild? If you didn't, you should check this out first before changing out the wires.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Huh... you've done what usually needs to be done... It doesn't sound like ignition anymore... And that year has no high speed adjustment. When you rebuilt the carb did you get the high speed jet out and cleaned? It's at the bottom of the bowl. Also, have you done a compression check? What are/were the numbers?

dipfortuna

Seaman Apprentice

I did thoroughly clean the high speed jet and orifice. I followed the procedure laid out in the "Top Secret File". I am thinking about taking the carb apart again, checking the float, and re-cleaning/adjusting the high speed jet. Its screwed out 1 full turn right? I believe the low speed is 1 1/2 turn out initially. If I do that, do I have to buy a new kit again for the gasket?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

The high speed jet is not adjustable. It should be screwed in fully and snuggly. The low speed is adjustable and should initially be 1.5 turns out. Did you not seat the high speed one fully? That could be the issue.

dipfortuna

Seaman Apprentice

I did clean the high speed jet and orifice according to the procedure outlined in the Top Secret File. I'm thinking about taking the carb apart again and checking the float and high speed once more. Do I need to purchase another kit to do that? I do not have a compression tester, but I'll ask around to find one to borrow. I'm wondering about changing out the fuel lines and wondering where I'll find alcohol resistant ones for my motor. And then there's always the plug lines..... My wife is wondering why I'm spending more money on a motor I just bought last summer.

dipfortuna

Seaman Apprentice

The high speed jet is not adjustable. It should be screwed in fully and snuggly. The low speed is adjustable and should initially be 1.5 turns out. Did you not seat the high speed one fully? That could be the issue.

I can't remember Samo, but I followed the manual and Top Secret File as closely as possible. Seems like I read somewhere on here about turning it out a ways. I should probably pull it apart again.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

You only turn it out if it is an adjustable one... They fixed them around '63 or '64 or so... Non adjustable after that...

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

You only turn it out if it is an adjustable one... They fixed them around '63 or '64 or so... Non adjustable after that...

Yeah, the high speed is fixed. Sorry I didn't check the year first before posting. I guess the next thing to do is check the carb again. It sounds like the ignition is solid, and the fuel pump is OK. Was the compression checked?

dipfortuna

Seaman Apprentice

I replaced both fuel lines and the one from the pump to the carb was pretty bad. I started it up in a test tank and noticed a leak in the oil hose where it connects underneath near the carb. I then noticed a crack in it at the other connection too. So, I'm waiting for the replacement to come in the mail. Could a leak in that oil hose be causing my problems?

zed2500

Cadet

Did anyone finally figure out the problem with this motor, I have the exact same problem with a 1962 18hp Evinrude and have done everything I can think of.

55Crestliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a surging issue with my 35hp Evinrude Lark (58). I've traced it to a very bad fuel pump. (rebuilding tonight) The diaphram is ruptured. Take your fuel pump off the side of the motor, then squeez the bulb - no fuel should come out of the hole that goes into the block. Yours is probably not rebuildable, but I could be wrong.

btw, if this solves it, don't feel bad about all the other money spent - it was worth it, and probably needed also.

dipfortuna

Seaman Apprentice

I'm sorry I haven't reported for a while. I've been pretty frustrated with it. At this point, it starts and idles fine and gets up to about 80% at WOT. I still need to get a tester to check the compression. I've been out fishing with it, but on small lakes because I don't trust it on the big lake.

kbait

Commander

I heard that using ethanol/gas will give you less power, as ethanol doesn't pack as much heat/gallon or whatever. One guy said that when he switched to non-oxygenated fuel that his local station added as a side pump, his performance at top end increased noticeably. I haven't noticed a difference, but it seems reasonable in your case. Try to find a tank of non-oxy fuel and see.. Can't hurt. Also, I carb-kitted a 25hp once that acted like that and I confirmed the float level was even w/carb body inverted and it still did the same thing. I then re-adjusted the float so it was dipping toward the carb body when inverted (raising fuel level in bowl), and it ran great then. I still don't know why, but good is good.. :) Good luck!!