1991 48 spl red valve?

petrey39

Cadet
I need help! I'm a first time boat owner, and I have a question about a red valve that is mounted on the side of the motor near the carb. Should the valve be vertical or horizontal. I read in some other forums that it should be horizontal, but my motor will only run with it pointing vertically. I know the valve is involved in the gas flow, but what does it do? If it is turned the wrong way, can it be harmful running it like that? Any advice would be great!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1991 48 spl red valve?

Primer Solenoid
the primer replaced the old choke butterflies in the carborators, pushing in the key activates it, like the old choke plates, but injects fuel directly into the intake.
The red handle is used when your battery is dead, and you have to rope start. You move the handle 180 degrees.
Normal operating position is with the handle back over the body of the solenoid, like in the picture below.

Attachments

• primer solenoid.jpg
    primer solenoid.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 0

petrey39

Cadet

thanks for the info. Now the question is why does my motor run only in the manual position? I have tried to run it at the 180 degrees and it won't stay running. Should I repalce the solenoid? carb. rebuild kit? fuel pump?

tashasdaddy

it sounds like someone opened the primer and put it together wrong. with it turned to manual it would eventually flood out the motor. because it would be putting a direct stream of fuel, directly into the intake. pictures would help in the position it will run, and the position it does not. photos: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=285637

petrey39

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I took the primer solenoid apart and it was in correct positions. I wound up taking the carbs. apart and found that there was a layer of black "goo" in the bottom of the float bowls. The motor seems to be running pretty good now with the vavle in the right position. Thanks for the help.

tashasdaddy

change out all your fuel lines to alcohol resistant lines. that black goo is the inside of the existing fuel lines sluffing of, due to the ethanol eating the rubber hoses. it settles in the bowl clogging the carbs.