my 68 Starcraft Holiday project

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlain

Commander
Re: my 68 Starcraft Holiday project

Sorry I did not get to this earlier today, you may have to drill out from the bottom, I had to do that once on someone else's outdrive, or if you have some really good drill bits and a slow speed drill you may drill out from the top. Sure hope you did not do the hacksaw thing.

sprintst

Commander

It's always something isn't it. I had a stainless bolt snap on my trim rail and had to turn it out from the back. That stupid bolt set me behind as I only had an hour or so that day to work on it.

Did you try using your teeth after a couple of drinks :)

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Sorry I did not get to this earlier today, you may have to drill out from the bottom, I had to do that once on someone else's outdrive, or if you have some really good drill bits and a slow speed drill you may drill out from the top. Sure hope you did not do the hacksaw thing.

Hey Bud..
No Nolan I did NOT use the hacksaw..I cooled off and walked away from it.
I did try to drill through the top of the bolt, but I dont have proper drills..
I will try from under tomorrow probably, using my original OD and anode as a template as to where that hole is exactly...

It's always something isn't it. I had a stainless bolt snap on my trim rail and had to turn it out from the back. That stupid bolt set me behind as I only had an hour or so that day to work on it.

Did you try using your teeth after a couple of drinks :)

lol..I havent drank THAT much in a while..But ya it IS ALWAYS something..and I dont mind really..cept this little SIMPLE stupid stuff just burns the helloutta me..An Allen bolt...thats it, one stupid freekin bolt that stops me cold.

Last edited:

sprintst

Commander

Not sure of the diameter of the bolt but I've used a bolt extraction bit on a head bolt once. Drill a hole in the dead center and insert the extraction bit that screws in tighter as you screw it in to the left. Got it at sears as I recall.

I also had one snap off in the bolt once which really left me screwed as this thing is hardened steel and couldn't drill it out. I just used a dremel to make to squred off side and vise gripped it out like a caveman.

tallcanadian

Captain

Hey Kev, maybe the rest of install will go real easy. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Anybody think a pipe wrench on the anode tab will get her off?
Dont want to crack the upper casting..But then again I bought this OD specifically for the lower unit..But why thrash a good upper?

nlain

Commander

Pipe wrench won't work, you would probably just break the tab off. I know how you feel with the stupid little stuff that gets in the way. Since it is so late in the day, were you able to get it off.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Pipe wrench won't work, you would probably just break the tab off. I know how you feel with the stupid little stuff that gets in the way. Since it is so late in the day, were you able to get it off.

Nope...shes still there.....I broke the skeg off the anode then tried to drill up..no avail..dont have the right bits..

Came in and took it easy since my blood pressure was boiling!!!

86 century

Ensign

I have had luck with a torx driver find the correct size and drive it in. A small amount of heat may help a propane torch will do the trick. Good luck

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Kev...unlike Rick welcoming new starcrafters into the club, I know this won't beat you! Hang tuff bud, and add another vote on the heat helper.

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes definately heat, penetrating oil, and if possible impact! :D

5 speed

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I have had luck with a torx driver find the correct size and drive it in. A small amount of heat may help a propane torch will do the trick. Good luck

I looked at the torx types..Gotta say that allen is rounded out big time..dont know if it would help..maybe

bolt outs, screw outs, reverse drill bits......

I'll have to look at em..But that allen is a pretty hardend bolt

Hey Kev...unlike Rick welcoming new starcrafters into the club, I know this won't beat you! Hang tuff bud, and add another vote on the heat helper.

Dont know how heat will help guys if I cant get something on the allen to turn her..hmmmmm

But thanks all.

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

Have you tried an easy out?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Wooooo Freeekin Hooooooooo

The dang allen is out that held the anode tab..Geeesh
So I remove the 2nd bolt under the anode..(wont fool me twice Mr. hidden bolt!)

Back off the 2 5/8th on each side..Then the nut forward..backed off..not completely..You need the nut hanging by a few threads so the lower can drop enough for the 2 nuts on each side to come off....

Lower wont budge...It appears that somebody has used some gasket sealer or ????

REALLY??? RUKIDDIN ME???

nlain

Commander

Look for corrosion in the holes around the studs, my first boat was corroded, I soaked with PB Blaster, used a hot air gun for heat and worked, and worked, and worked until it finally started to move, the corrosion was around the front stud, the others were clear, I got the rear down a little, used flat bladed screwdrivers in either side and just patiently worked with it until it moved, not sure that is your problem but is a possibility. Soak it, let it set, soak it some more and let it set, soak all studs unless you can see they are clear.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Thanks Nlain..

I actually was able to get her off by breaking gasket junk with some putty knives..

I got the new impeller in the lower and will use my old upper and this lower to complete the OD unit..

Hopefully tomorrow after work I'll have em together and running on muffs!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Sorry to hear the old gal is giving you a hard time Kev...but sounds like you got thru your debacle and you're on your way. Good luck with the OD, hope they play nicely together.

A frankenstein setup going there I see:D

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Man, glad to hear you got them apart.

Jeff

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Sorry to hear the old gal is giving you a hard time Kev...but sounds like you got thru your debacle and you're on your way. Good luck with the OD, hope they play nicely together.

A frankenstein setup going there I see:D

Hey thanks HA!
Between 2 uppers and 2 lowers I should have one decent complete OD ya think? I will have to change the prop on the new/used OD..It looks like a 17 inch (?) Where the prop that came with the boat looks more like a 19 inch.
I'll keep the smaller one as a spare though...

Hey Man, glad to hear you got them apart.

Jeff

That makes 2 of us Jeff! lol..Now I have to wrangle em together..and not drop anything ahem...

Status
Not open for further replies.