How to remove the under unit on Evinrude 95 90hp v4 60degree

paulhenrik

Recruit
Can anyone help me. I cant remove the under unit. I have read the manual, but I still dont get it. I pulled the pin as showed, and put the gear in forward. But what do I do to free the shift rod? If anyone could, in detail, describe this issue for me, I would be for ever thankful. Please describe as easy as possible, not so easy for a Norwegian to understand technical english.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to remove the under unit on Evinrude 95 90hp v4 60degree

Please click the thumbnail.

Attachments

• Clip shift release.JPG
    Clip shift release.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 0

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

hopefully that does it for you...just the shift rod being the last obstacle.

sometimes the drive shaft gets stuck in the crankshaft spline.

if the lower unit does fall off for you just remember DO NOT ROTATE the shift rod.

it is threaded into a piece in the lower unit and is not locked!!

you can thread it in, or out after you drop the lower unit...you dont want to let that happen!

the setting for your shift linkage comes from how far it is threaded into that piece in the lower unit.

tape it so it wont rotate!!

unless you are rebuilding the lower unit!

then count how many times you rotate it when you unthread it..and use that numer when you reinstall it.

good luck
bob

paulhenrik

Recruit

Thanks, So if I undestand the thumbnail correctly I have to loosen the roundhead (starheaded) on the port side of the lever (45) after taking of the pin and pushing the shift toward port? or do I loosen the bolt on the top of the lever, and the pull the lever? Or do I just pull the lever after pulling the pin and pushed the shift. I belive my engine does not look quite just like the thumbnail. I have the FICHT 60 `Looper. Again thank you.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

well I am pretty sure you just pull the cotter pin up and out(17) and then just PUSH 58 IN and that action actually pushes 45 also which moves 45 off the shift rod.

no bolts or nuts to turn.

it is like 45 is spring loaded .It has a pin that goes through a hole in the shift rod....you are just freeing up 58 by removing the cotter pin so you can push 45 off the shift rod.

I dont think the fitch factor comes into play...but I could be mistaken

you can go to shopevinrude.com and look at exploded diagrams of your modle and year motor to see if the components are the same as the picture...

but i bet that is where the digram came from anyway!

good luck

bob

paulhenrik

Recruit

Thanks, it worked. I got it of, but needed to jerk it with the screewdriver to make it. The shiift shaft ran into an obsticle, so I had to unscrew the bolt. But the important part, I got it of :) I hope I can get it on also. Thanks a lot Bob.

Paul

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Too bad you took that screw out. When you put it back, be very careful to align it properly and don't force it or it wll break #45.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Thanks, it worked. I got it of, but needed to jerk it with the screewdriver to make it. The shiift shaft ran into an obsticle, so I had to unscrew the bolt. But the important part, I got it of :) I hope I can get it on also. Thanks a lot Bob.

Paul

too bad you didnt count the turns when you unscrewed it

good luck

for all the other guys here...once you put the lower up flush can you still rotate the shift rod??? to raise and or lower its postion?

or do you have drop the lower completely??

Ill get there soon...but an not there yet.

bob