wits end- 89 150

zindale

Seaman
well make a long story short still fighting same ole cutting out problem i have a couple post out there but i guess they are to long no more responses. i have done all i know to do i have inspected lower unit. rebuiled powerhead,fuel pumps replaced 3 ignition modules, 1 coil,stator and trigger has been replaced before i purchased boat starts and runs fine. till you hit 2100-2200 rpm then its has a skip in it about every 15 to 20 sec. bout like running over someone elses wake. have noticed that the rpms race about 100. also have checked prop not spun. <br /> could the clutch dog be faulty and look good and gears all look like new. drive shaft splins all good. sorry so long but am at wits end and $$

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: wits end- 89 150

Don't haved a clue what is wrong with your big 5 banger, but...<br /><br />Are you able to rev up to higher rpm's, like 4000 or 5000?<br /><br />Thinking its either fuel related or the high speed coils in the stator are failing.

zindale

Seaman

yes it will rev up to higher rpms but i havent had it there long as i just rebuilt it. but it skips in rythym through the whole power range. only thing i havent done yet is diconnect the yellow and black kill wire from ign switch, and try. will only do it under a load with hose on wont do it. goes in and out of gear fine my next step was to replace stator. and i thank you alot for your help. as to the repair shops they just want to throw parts at it. they have never had in water.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Since you are able to get to the higher rpm, your stator should be ok, or you would not have spark to accellerate that high. <br />I'm thinking that one of the carbs is being starved for gas and causing the surging. This would also cause a lean running condition. Not good.<br /><br />I am going to recommend that you contact the guys at www.themarinedoctor.com<br />He knows Force motors and won't try to sell you any unnecessary parts.

zindale

Seaman

well its me again, first i want to thank all yall for the help. just got back from lake still there. last night i r+r carbs and cleaned was already spotless but did it anyway. and resync carbs. i am for sure its in the lower unit as i have seen a lot of posts about them. noticed it jumps and rpms seem to raise about 100. when it does it i had it tore down by backwoods marine mech. he said it was good but im going to do it myself. will the damage be noticable on clutch dog? or just replace it. and can i do this work with normal hand tools. i am a master auto tech so i have loads and loads of tools and some automotive gear pullers. any thing special i should know? i have 2 manuals force factory manual and a clymers thanx again

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The corners of the clutchdog will be rounded if bad.<br />Never seen one that would make and engine surge.<br />Its either in gear or not. If it jumps out of gear while underway, you would know it by all the clattering, and it isn't going back into gear until the rpm's drop to idle speed.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

You should check to see if your prop hub is spun. Draw a line with a permanant marker on the prop to the prop nut. After a surge has occured check your line to see if it has been broken. If it has you need a new prop or you need to have yours rebuilt. The prop is held together by hard rubber and it separates it acts like a broken shear pin. Testing by hand will not work. It needs to be tested under load.<br /><br />IF not a spun prop I would look at the float adjustments on the carbs. Either that or one of the needle valves or seats is sticking closed.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

a bad cluctch/fwd gear will do exactly what you describe. will feel like somthing hitting the transom., usually if the clutch is bad the dogs on the gear are bad as well. normally caused by sloppy linkage or a poor running motor that someone increased the idle speed to keep it running when shifted. would be a good time to pull it down and allow a professional tech to inspect the dog surfaces.

zindale

Seaman

indexed prop and run til;l bump a few times, loaded and checked its ok indexed still. will check clutch and dog in the next couple days thanx again

zindale

Seaman

finally got around to removing lower unit. dog ears on clutch worn slightly rounded on forward side. reverse side almost 90 deg. could you reverse the dog and still use it looks same on both ends or i read were you could get it machined back flat? thanx

zindale

Seaman

well good news finally took my little jewel out after flipping the clutch dog around, and all is fine now no more bump.cruised around for bout an hour and all was fine till the motor died. easy find the flywheel nut came loose so i had my tools in boat just in case and tightened back as tight as i could and done it again 3 times. so i limped back to ramp. guess i need a new nut. or fly wheel.lucky it didnt come off was runnin bout 3500 rpms. i would like to thank all of you for your help.