How Many of You Have...???

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How Many of You Have...???

Hey Huron,what is a large quantity of lead,lol.Maybe you cut the line and swallowed your splitshot while trying to clamp it shut with your teeth.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Actually very little (relatively) lead can cause lead poisoning. Ingestible lead like in old paint dust, powdery oxidized lead, etc. is the most serious. Although adults can be effected, younger children can be caused irreparable developmental damage due to lead.

Is there too much hype about lead? Probably. But that doesn't diminish the fact that lead in some circumstances and forms is hazardous.

However, the fact that it is overblown and/or misunderstood has caused me to crack more than a few jokes about lead poisoning.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Hey Huron,what is a large quantity of lead,lol.Maybe you cut the line and swallowed your splitshot while trying to clamp it shut with your teeth.

I consider swallowing one splitshot per year to be an excessively large amount of lead. Small amount of lead ingested would be when you chew on your pencil and a little breaks off.

I do think I may teach my two boys to avoid my bad habit when we go fishing. Pliers it is...that will keep their mother and the in-laws happy anyway.

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

My son thinks that split shot are candy.He has seen me chewing on them since he was old enough to think,it my mind.He wants to be like his dad so much that when I spit my chewing tobacco juice out he does also,lol.And he don't chew.Watch what you teach your kids,they do as you do,no matter how bad or good.Cool site,I love you guys,yes,I had a couple of beers today.lol.

ebry710

Ensign

Still doin' it.

This may be why the warnings are CA specific.... :D

Naah. In California they (the State) feels that we are too stupid to know that lead poisoning comes from lead. We call that Proposition 65.

The kinda cool thing though is when your buying a souvenir cup at the Monterey Bay Aquarium and the cup has a Prop 65 label that says the cup has lead in it. Makes you not want to put hot coffee in the mug after you bring it home.

Gregsrc

Recruit

Yep I bite the sinker about half the timer, but I don't kiss the fish!

I heard something funny about off road motorcycles, they can't sell them to young children because of the lead in the paint on the fenders and the lube they use on the chain, me I would be more worried about them falling off more than licking the fenders.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

I consider swallowing one splitshot per year to be an excessively large amount of lead. Small amount of lead ingested would be when you chew on your pencil and a little breaks off......

Pencil lead is graphite not elemental lead. It is harmless as far as poisoning is concerned.