mercruiser shifting trouble

eande

Cadet
I have alpha one mercruiser and it will not shift in revese and forward. I can get one or the other but not both. Tried every way possible to adjust cable with no luck. I can shift it into gear and get out of boat and turn shift lever on outdrive with screwdriver and I just have to move it a tiny bit to get it to take gear but can not get it to engauge without screwdriver. I was told that it sounded like the lower shift cable needs replaced. I was wondering if this sounds like my only choice or any other tricks available. If I do need to replace is this a major job that I should leave to professionals or can someone that is "car" mechanically inclined be able to do this. Is it fairly easy or a major surgery. I have had the lower unit off twice already to change engine and then again for water pump. Any help would be great.

eande

Cadet
Re: mercruiser shifting trouble

I understand that you said that in other post and do except it. My main question was can an average joe do this or should it be left to boat professionals. I appreciate all your information just want everything figured out before I start.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

If you read your manual and understand the procedure, and are comfortable with your skills, then yes you are an average Joe...If not, pony up the cash for a professional..Either way you may want to replace both cables at the same time...Who knows maybe 3 months from now your throttle cable goes bad..maybe 3 days..

Good luck

meesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have a manual and GOOD mechanical skills, you can do it. It's not that hard. Read your manual and after that if your still unsure, pay someone to do it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have had the lower unit off twice already to change engine and then again for water pump.

Lots of people do that, and many times it doesn't work. The question is, did you do the job correctly, and would you know the difference if you didn't.
Read the manual, and judge yourself. No one here has a clue about your mechanical abilities.