Wet plugs

New2me

Seaman
I have 96'C60 yamaha the plugs always have oil on them when I pull them but they are clean with a little carbon its somewhat hard to crank when its been sitting up I put NGK plugs with a resistor should I change them with non resistor plugs and I run a gutted thermostat also what is causing the oil on the plugs.Im new here and sory for the long post.I run quicksilver oil and prem fuel.

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Wet plugs

That motor should be using NGK B8HS-10 plugs with a .035-.039 gap.
Also, why are you running without a themostat? Your motor will never get up to proper operating temperatures. This could be causing fouled plugs.

The manual says to use a minimum of 86 octane. They run fine on 87 octane.

New2me

Seaman

I have had issues with sand and small pieces if shell plugging it off.I Kind of thought the same about the temp cause it runs crappy from the first few min once you get off idle.Is it that big a deal with resistor plugs I know the F.I motors run them.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

resistor plugs are a yamaha acceptable subsitute, running with no thermostat is NOT.
if that motor cannot reach operating temps it fouls plugs.
have a nice day.
however try this if you have to.
take a used T-stat, cut off the poppet disc and reinstall the body.
this will allow some water restriction and a slightly higher operating temp than no t-stat.
will still idle like crap but will be a bit better.
I have the same issues here will the mullet fisherman running jets.
but at the end of the day if this motor cannot run as designed it does stupid things.
not a yamaha issue cause they actually designed it with a t-stat.

New2me

Seaman

Im goin to put a Tstat in and see,I guess I will only pull it when I go out in the marsh.Keep it in for the lakes and bayous