Here we go PODS project with pics

1957evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class
well heres the pods so far. tell me what you all think and put some input quick before im done with them lol.

Attachments

• IMG_2078.jpg
    IMG_2078.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2079.jpg
    IMG_2079.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2080.jpg
    IMG_2080.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2081.jpg
    IMG_2081.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2082.jpg
    IMG_2082.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 0

1957evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Here we go PODS project with pics

more pics

Attachments

• IMG_2083.jpg
    IMG_2083.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2084.jpg
    IMG_2084.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2086.jpg
    IMG_2086.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2087.jpg
    IMG_2087.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2088.jpg
    IMG_2088.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 0

splitshot

Petty Officer 1st Class

dont mean to ask a stupid question but what are they for ?? i've never heard of PODS

1957evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

to put more surface area on the bottom of the boat to keep the boat higher out of the water works good when you have to much weight in the back (like me) lol

bucsfinsfan13

Seaman Apprentice

from the looks of the pictures, it looked like you were going to have a flat surface from the front of the pods where they meet the back of boat. which would push water...until i remembered that you painted the bottom of the boat black LOL good job man.

1957evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

lmao yeah thats whats going to help stop all that speed lol.

1957evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok heres the update. i put 3 in of foam in it. already glassed bottom, back, and sides. its bolted to the transom now. the hydrofoil clears it by about 1/4 in. i already dug into the boat and pods and tomorrow i will fill all that in with glass and make it permanet to the boat. so what do you all think so far?

Attachments

• IMG_2089.jpg
    IMG_2089.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2091.jpg
    IMG_2091.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2092.jpg
    IMG_2092.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2093.jpg
    IMG_2093.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2094.jpg
    IMG_2094.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 0

1957evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class
more pics

more pics

more pics

Attachments

• IMG_2095.jpg
    IMG_2095.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2096.jpg
    IMG_2096.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2097.jpg
    IMG_2097.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 0

bucsfinsfan13

Seaman Apprentice

maybe you could screw in a pole into each pod then affix rope to them and have the two ropes meet into one rope and then have people ski behind it with all that horsepower LOL. Job well done my friend, i hope that it works really well. when do you think you will take it on the lake for a test run.

sebago_kid

Seaman

That's really cool, I've never seen that before...
Nice work!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Hey! Pretty neat solution to your situation. The theory is sound, displace more water to float more weight. The design looks well thought out, and the execution looks to be quality craftsmanship. I bet it will work well. Did you use any formula to determine the size the pods should be for the amount of extra flotation you want?

I like the way the pods follow the boats chine curves. Nice touch.

1957evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey! Pretty neat solution to your situation. The theory is sound, displace more water to float more weight. The design looks well thought out, and the execution looks to be quality craftsmanship. I bet it will work well. Did you use any formula to determine the size the pods should be for the amount of extra flotation you want?

I like the way the pods follow the boats chine curves. Nice touch.

thanks:) no i didnt use anything to figure them out i just thought i want them big enough to go past the motor and as wide i could.

1957evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

maybe you could screw in a pole into each pod then affix rope to them and have the two ropes meet into one rope and then have people ski behind it with all that horsepower LOL. Job well done my friend, i hope that it works really well. when do you think you will take it on the lake for a test run.

dont know when im going to go down to the lake. sometime this week we will see if weather permits

1957evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That's really cool, I've never seen that before...
Nice work!

i was looking at boats one day and saw a duck hunting boat with the and read the form and liked it so when i had the weight problem i decided i was going to build some. (maybe i should go on a diet lol)

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

That's a really good idea! Very cool! You may want to patent an idea like that and turn it into some cash.:D Do you have a picture of where the waterline was on the transom before you added the PODS? If so, you should post before & after pics.

BOB

1957evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That's a really good idea! Very cool! You may want to patent an idea like that and turn it into some cash.:D Do you have a picture of where the waterline was on the transom before you added the PODS? If so, you should post before & after pics.

BOB

no i dont sorry but i do remember that it was right under the exhaust hole and i moved the motor up 2 3/4" so when i put it back in ill be able to see and just add that to the water line and ill know how much it came out. the pics that i saw on another boat they said it brought their boat out 3". i cant patent them they are already out there and there is companys that make them. sucks for me huh

bucsfinsfan13

Seaman Apprentice

BTW man i seen on craigslist last night there were a couple 25 hp motors that were under 400. Take a look and see what you think, it doesnt matter what year or in what shape they are you could get them running. especially after gettin that evinrude going. Man i commend u on that one.

erikgreen

Captain

Well, the basic idea is quite sound... RIB boats use an extra length of their tubes back behind the transom for the same reason.

But, I don't think intuitive engineering is going to serve you too well here with regards to attachment of the pods to your hull.

First, make sure you fair the pods with respect to your hull, and the transition between them and the main hull is as smooth as possible. Any ridges will create turbulence that will create drag and slow you down.

Second, the connection to your hull with those four bolts (are they actual bolts, or carriage bolts?) looks weak.

When the pod is in the water, there's a fair amount of upward force on it... you're looking to use its buoyancy to lift the rear of your hull up, after all. That thrust will be very hard on those bolts, especially when a big wave hits. Think of the case where a big wave catches you from the aft from a wake or similar.. there will be a moment when only your lower leg and the pods are in that wave, which may be big enough to lift the pods the height of the hull.. for that moment, your two pods are going to be trying to dead lift your hull, fuel, you, and everything in the boat up.

Put another way, would you consider putting a strap on the pods, lifting the rear of your hull up, then getting in the boat and jumping up and down? If it won't handle that without cracking fiberglass you likely need a stronger joint.

Another thing is that the main force on those bolts isn't straight up and down. When the pods lift up, they want to swing up on the transom like a barn door. They'll put force on the face of the transom and pull up and out on the bolts in addition to shearing upward on them.

If you're going to use bolts, I'd do the following:

1) Spread them out more so they are near the corners of the pods.. that will limit the leverage from torque the pods get on them

2) Use backing plates instead of just washers... either glass on some 1/2" plywood backing plates or better yet use aluminum plate about 1/4" thick on both the inside of the transom and the pods. The force on those bolts will at least equal that on cleats, and you wouldn't install those without backing plates, right?

3) Test extensively before going on the water. Try lifting the boat using the pods, try jerking on it while it's in the air. It's not just going to be static weight pulling on the joint.

As said, I like the idea though, and I've been considering buying/building a boat like that, with tubes or pods on the back.

Erik

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer

looks cool let us know when you test it.
Matt

1957evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, the basic idea is quite sound... RIB boats use an extra length of their tubes back behind the transom for the same reason.

But, I don't think intuitive engineering is going to serve you too well here with regards to attachment of the pods to your hull.

First, make sure you fair the pods with respect to your hull, and the transition between them and the main hull is as smooth as possible. Any ridges will create turbulence that will create drag and slow you down.

Second, the connection to your hull with those four bolts (are they actual bolts, or carriage bolts?) looks weak.

When the pod is in the water, there's a fair amount of upward force on it... you're looking to use its buoyancy to lift the rear of your hull up, after all. That thrust will be very hard on those bolts, especially when a big wave hits. Think of the case where a big wave catches you from the aft from a wake or similar.. there will be a moment when only your lower leg and the pods are in that wave, which may be big enough to lift the pods the height of the hull.. for that moment, your two pods are going to be trying to dead lift your hull, fuel, you, and everything in the boat up.

Put another way, would you consider putting a strap on the pods, lifting the rear of your hull up, then getting in the boat and jumping up and down? If it won't handle that without cracking fiberglass you likely need a stronger joint.

Another thing is that the main force on those bolts isn't straight up and down. When the pods lift up, they want to swing up on the transom like a barn door. They'll put force on the face of the transom and pull up and out on the bolts in addition to shearing upward on them.

If you're going to use bolts, I'd do the following:

1) Spread them out more so they are near the corners of the pods.. that will limit the leverage from torque the pods get on them

2) Use backing plates instead of just washers... either glass on some 1/2" plywood backing plates or better yet use aluminum plate about 1/4" thick on both the inside of the transom and the pods. The force on those bolts will at least equal that on cleats, and you wouldn't install those without backing plates, right?

3) Test extensively before going on the water. Try lifting the boat using the pods, try jerking on it while it's in the air. It's not just going to be static weight pulling on the joint.

As said, I like the idea though, and I've been considering buying/building a boat like that, with tubes or pods on the back.

Erik

wow thanks for the info the bolts are 3/8 galv. i really dont think they will go anywhere i have lifted the boat from the pods already. if for some reason they do break i will do it the way you said but for now its to late the pods are all glassed in and im doing finishing touches. everything you say makes alot of sence so dont think im not listening it just to late. thank you