Strange Capsule in Tune Up Kit (Johnson Seahorse)

gsk2005uk

Seaman
Hello,

I recently bought a new ignition tune up kit for my Johnson Seahorse (4hp) and found something which I did not knew what it was.

In the big bag there were smaller bags with each having a piece of the kit. Inside the bags with some clips, there was this "glass capsule" half filled with a black liquid (see attached photos). Now my assumption is that it maybe some sort of "humidity absorbing thing" like those silicon bags found in boxes (when you buy electronic goods).

Can anyone else confirm this or know otherwise? I am just too curious:D

Thanks

Attachments

• 130320091828sm.jpg
    130320091828sm.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 0
  • 130320091828zoom.JPG
    130320091828zoom.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 0

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Strange Capsule in Tun Up Kit (Johnson Seahorse)

It's heroin. Snort it! :D
Actually, it's grease. I use a little of it on the points' mounting stud.
Now that little white rectangular fuzzy thing is crack. (really the oil wick....)

gsk2005uk

Seaman
Re: Strange Capsule in Tune Up Kit (Johnson Seahorse)

:D:D:D

It never crossed my mind that it would be a dodgy item, not even as a joke. But I have to say (without opening it) I would have never imagine they supply grease with the parts.

Thanks for the info!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It's cam lubricant. Used to lubricate the points' rubbing block. Use very sparingly.

I can't help it, I gotta laugh. A customer came in and bought a set of points and he asked our guy, Charlie, what that capsule was for. Ol' Charlie, dead serious, said it is a pill. You take it before installing the points and it will dialate your eyeballs so you can set the points wihout a feeler gauge. Hey, I dunno, it might have worked.

CATransplant

Admiral

Feeler gauge? Real MEN set points by guess and by golly. :D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

old days, Match book cover. can't do it any more, cover are now too thin.

CATransplant

Admiral

Jest fold 'er over oncet. Ewe kin use the striker to clean up them dirty points, too.

gsk2005uk

Seaman

Won't the match box striker scratch them and render them useless? A business card tends to work as well to clean them. Just place a card between the points, close them and pull the card.;)

iwombat

Captain

Back in the old days we used to use a feeler gauge and a points file.

You kids and yer newfangled matchbooks.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

It's cam lubricant. Used to lubricate the points' rubbing block. Use very sparingly.

I can't help it, I gotta laugh. A customer came in and bought a set of points and he asked our guy, Charlie, what that capsule was for. Ol' Charlie, dead serious, said it is a pill. You take it before installing the points and it will dialate your eyeballs so you can set the points wihout a feeler gauge. Hey, I dunno, it might have worked.

You win FR, that is by far the best explanation.

56 rude

Banned

hence the name, die-a-letric grease.