How stupid is this?

CATransplant

Admiral
So, I have a little 12' aluminum boat on a trailer. Last year, the boating season in Minnesota ended and I stored the boat upside down on the trailer like I do every year.

We have a single-car garage, where the SUV lives during the winter. Now...here's the stupid part: During the spring and summer, we absolutely never park the SUV in the garage.

And yet...every time I use the boat, I drag it, manually, from the back yard lawn on its trailer to hook it up to the SUV. Then I have to load the fuel tank, battery, tackle box, rods, PFDs, etc. I come back from fishing and have to put all that stuff back in the garage, then push the boat and trailer back on the lawn.

So, last October, when I was storing the boat for the winter, my wife says to me: "Wouldn't it be a lot easier if you put the boat and trailer in the garage during fishing season? Then you could just hook it up and go fishing without all that toting and carrying."

Doh! Empty garage all through the fishing season. So, how stupid am I?

Tyme2fish

Commander
Re: How stupid is this?

You don't happen to live in Springfield and work at a nuclear power plant do you?? DOH:D

moron mo?ron (m?r'ŏn')
n.
A person of mild mental retardation having a mental age of from 7 to 12 years and generally having communication and social skills enabling some degree of academic or vocational education. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.
:eek:;):D

CATransplant

Admiral

That's what I thought...pretty darned stupid. And I've done this for two years, for pete's sake. I just never thought about the garage...that was for the SUV. Never mind that it's never in there when it's not late fall or winter.

Oh, well...

Tyme2fish

Commander

Sometimes when we are so fixated on the small picture we can't see the big picture.:confused:

Now you've got an extra 30 minutes for fishing time this season on each trip without all the prep work!!!:D

CATransplant

Admiral

Yup. It'll be nice to have that extra time. It's also very good to have a big belly laugh at myself from time to time. This one was one of the best.

seaman campbell

Chief Petty Officer

Just goes to show how consumed we came become with our little "routines" ;) It's good that you can stand back and laugh at yourself about it though:D:D

TC

CATransplant

Admiral

Just goes to show how consumed we came become with our little "routines" ;) It's good that you can stand back and laugh at yourself about it though:D:D

TC

Well, if you can't laugh at yourself, someone else will do it for you.

packman35

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a similar story. I have a small deck off my screened porch where the grill lives. The grill was on the right side but the floodlight was on the left side eave (sp?) so I had a problem seeing when cooking at night. I was explaining one night to a friend about how I was going to have to pull a wire through the rafters to the left side from the right so I could install another light so I could see to cook. He asked - "why don't you just move the grill to the other side?". Duhhh!!! I just looked down at my feet and handed him a beer while he walked off laughing. We still laugh about that every time he comes over for dinner.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

CAT, I've been a member on this board for over a year and have read many of your fine posts, so out of admiration I could never call you stupid. But I, like others who replied to this, can readily identify with your experience.

My wife has had similar "obvious" suggestions for me over the years, and for that I am most grateful, especially for the laughs that ensued. Married 34 years and counting. - Ken

mthieme

Captain

That's the stupidest thing I ever heard of in my life.
A car in the garage! Imagine that. :D;)

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i get little tips like that from the wife from time to time............she can remember every single one of them.

reelfishin

Captain

I wish I had a garage that would hold my boat and trailer.

Years ago, I had bought a new Grumman Champ 15' aluminum bass boat. I had a 15 hp Mariner on it with stick steering. It was a hard boat to store and keep safe outside, so I build a trailer height platform in the shed on which I could slide the boat off onto for longer term storage. All I had to do was hook to the trailer, back up to the shed, and winch the boat on, all ready to go. All I had to do was tie it down. The downside was that the boat no longer shielded the bunks from the weather on the trailer, so I had to replace them more often.

It worked great till I upgraded to a longer boat that wouldn't fit in the shed.
I wish I still had that old Grumman.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I should have mentioned in my post above my story about "garage" and "stupid".

Decided to buy new boat. New as in factory new. Wanted it to fit in garage. Measure length of garage and length of boat and determined it would fit with swing tongue folded. Measured height to top of boat's windshield and determined it would clear garage door top by 3". Measured width and determined it would fit with room to open doors on car in next stall.

Ordered boat after visiting dealer and measuring one last time. Boat arrives. Dealer, wife and I take it for splash test. It's GREAT! Load it on trailer. Stop at church parking lot and practice backing. Take it home.

Back it up driveway to garage. Wife lets out blood curdling scream. STOP! Get out and go back to where motor is about to enter garage. Motor way too high! Oh gawd, what have I done? Panic starts to set it. All that measuring, and all that money, and it doesn't fit.

Oh, wait. Tilt motor down. Cleared by a whopping two inches.

Still laughing...

CATransplant

Admiral

CAT, I've been a member on this board for over a year and have read many of your fine posts, so out of admiration I could never call you stupid. But I, like others who replied to this, can readily identify with your experience.

My wife has had similar "obvious" suggestions for me over the years, and for that I am most grateful, especially for the laughs that ensued. Married 34 years and counting. - Ken

You're too kind, by far. But you're sure right about wives. Mine loves to solve problems for me, but I don't get to live those solutions down for years. The garage story will get told by her to my entire family the next time we're all together. They will appreciate hearing it very much, and will show their appreciation with a belly laugh at my expense. It's all good, and I'll pay her back sometime, no doubt.

and you wonder how you could forget to put your plug in before launching?

shes even looking out for you with small things, be greatful lol :D

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

So, last October, when I was storing the boat for the winter, my wife says to me: "Wouldn't it be a lot easier if you put the boat and trailer in the garage during fishing season? Then you could just hook it up and go fishing without all that toting and carrying."

You're supposed to look at her and ask why she didn't think of that years ago.

First make sure the doghouse is well set up of course.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

You're supposed to look at her and ask why she didn't think of that years ago.First make sure the doghouse is well set up of course.

I am not married, but I remember the experience. And I have two kids (both teenage girls) who live with me that remind me if I ever forget the experience :eek:

But what I remember leads me to believe that the doghouse wouldn't be needed. If CATransplant had just put the boat in the garage without her suggesting it THEN he would've needed the doghouse! LOL :D

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If CATransplant had just put the boat in the garage without her suggesting it THEN he would've needed the doghouse! LOL :D

yeah!!..........as long as it is her idea!

its like i told my boy (16): i love'em to death and dont know how id get along with out'em but........................they are all nuts!!!!

men cant read women the same way they can read us.........................they are all nuts!!!!..........how can you know what a nut is thinking?!

i apologize if i have offended any of the women on this site.............but you are all nuts!!

yes i am happily married!............maybe not so happy when the wife finds this thread :eek:.

LadyFish

Admiral

HAHAHA Y'all crack me up. :)

Every woman knows that men generally go half way 'round their *** to kiss their elbow", its a fact of life. ;) It's just fun to watch.

Married 31 years. lol