White spark plugs

dieselcat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Called my local boat shop and the tech told me this means motor was running lean.Just wanted to get some other opinion on this.Changed the head gaskets 2 days ago and there was no water in the cylinders,everything looked good inside.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: White spark plugs

If the plugs really are white - no color at all - it could mean it's not firing on that cylinder. But you indicated all plugs are like that so we'll assume it's running. Yes, it could be very, very lean. Probably wouldn't last more than 1/2 mile like that at wot. If that far.

Or it could have the (way) wrong heat range plugs.

Or the heads have been cut (a bunch).

iwombat

Captain

What motor & plugs are you using, and did you go from thick head gaskets to thin?

dieselcat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Plugs are NGK-BR6HS,this happened before i replaced the head gaskets.I'm assuming that running lean would probibly be the problem since i had to hold the choke in,inorder to get it above 4000 rpm's.

splitshot

Petty Officer 1st Class

definately lean...dont run it like that until you find the problem

Randybeall

Petty Officer 1st Class

Woops, I replied to your other post. Pull the carbs and clean them properly. Do a complete link and sync when you put them back on. Timing being off could cause problems just like lean running carbs.

ob

Admiral

If you have to push the primer button in to gain rpm above what you stated your carb/s are most definately fouled which would indeed cause a lean condition.I would not recommend running the engine again until all of the carbs have been rebuilt.Also,scrap the NGK plugs and run the recommended Champion plug in your engine.That's assuming it's a Johnson or Evinrude. As Iwombat asked.....what engine and horsepower are we discussing here?

dieselcat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry for got to post that earlier,it's a 1995 evinrude 88 SPL

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The first issue is that you have the wrong pklugs. Before you do anything get a set of Champions in there. A set of QL77JC4's will work just fine.

dieselcat

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm assuming the NGK's are no good for this motor?The plugs that where in the motor when i got it was-champion QL86C,so i had em cross reference to the NGK.
Have never owned a rude untill now and the NGK plugs always worked better in my merc.Everything i have read says champion for the rudes so thats what i'll use!

Thank's for info!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

rudes are built to run Champions, NAPA even has a note of their parts computer, that other brands are known to cause misfire problems.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Mercs and Yamahas are calibrated for NGK plugs. Evinrude & Johnson (carb'd) are calibrated for Champion. The 86 is a tad on the hot side for todays fuel.

dieselcat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mercs and Yamahas are calibrated for NGK plugs. Evinrude & Johnson (carb'd) are calibrated for Champion. The 86 is a tad on the hot side for todays fuel.

Thank you very much for that info!