32' Donzi F33 floor replacment

peacekeeper6

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 32' Donzi F33 floor replacment

SOme people have used a rubber mallet, some have used a 2 x 4 and thumped it. I hate to say this but all the thumping needs to be from the underside ......... there have been a few that have resorted to cutting.

You can also try a WIDE blade under the lip as a chisel (caution a narrow blade can slice through quick). The key is a small spot at a time (gee that rolls out of me so easy and I know it's a 32' boat ;) )

lol yea i feel the pain, i got the left side up and i see two pieces of cloth that are about 1 sq foot, i am trying to get them apart ot see if it pops, i am getting closer tho\ugh it is moving more.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

If (big IF) you can reach those squares ..... you might be able to score them with a utility knife ......

peacekeeper6

i got the cap popped and most of the outter layer of glass grinded out to replace it. i am having a hard time because i didnt have the tools to flip the top but its coming together i hope to have the floor glassed by mon and then onto the hull side of the boat for new pourable stringers.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Are you using seacast for the stringers?

peacekeeper6

no i am looking into the nida bond, alot cheaper.

svilla

Seaman

any more up-dates on your project? It is a very nice boat by the way.

peacekeeper6

working on the floor right now i am going to update with pictures tonight

peacekeeper6

As promised, heres a run down of the work done today. cut the floor out to ease the pain of flipping the cap. the whole floor was rotted and wet so i scraped most of the wood out have to get back in tomm with a wire wheel. Notice all the 6inch squares? Wonder why they did that. i have my honeycomb foam board and resin already and some glass so the floor should be done tomm and i will move onto the hull and stringers. then the wiring will update with pictures later :)

DSC02842.jpg

DSC02848.jpg

DSC02849.jpg

DSC02850.jpg

DSC02860.jpg

F14CRAZY

Ensign

aw man you've got my respect...redoing the deck, stringers, and transom in my 19' was complete hell...wouldn't imagine a 32' :eek:

peacekeeper6

aw man you've got my respect...redoing the deck, stringers, and transom in my 19' was complete hell...wouldn't imagine a 32' :eek:

its definitly a labor of love, when i get done i am going to redo my 19ft donzi bowrider also and paint them to match. I also am going to be doing a 34ft scarab super sport for a guy so watch for pics. Until then keep up with this thread should go rather quick.

peacekeeper6

if you notice this deck was done in 6 inch squares, does anyone have an opinion on keeping that small layer of wood on the top as i cant peel it our like a solid piece of wood. or does anyone know of a better way to peel that little layer up?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

We saw those little squares in jserb's Scarab. I think they used them when they wanted a beveled surface. Definitely strange looking.

Andy in NY

Commander

Seriously, you guys command my respect. I am dreading working on my 14 footer!!! oops with the extention, a 30' scarab, now a 32' donzi? wowzers. I'll be following this one.

peacekeeper6

little update, got the floor completely grinded but its been raining for a few days here in sunny FL and is forcasted for a little while longer, will get some pics and start on the stringers when the rain lets up some.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Well???? How's it going? :D

peacekeeper6

had lots of rain here in the sunny state but its calmed down alot and i only work on it after school but come hell or high water today i am getting those stringers done

peacekeeper6

ok, working on stringers and they are mud, not one stringer has any viable wood in it. So whats the best way to get all this mud out? i have been using the chainsaw to saw through the top of the stringer but i am pretty sure i am not getting it all, i am thinking of a pressure washer?

Bob_VT

Staff member

Pressure washer and shop vac...... the only method I know of.

erikgreen

Captain

I like your gantry supports. Did you weld those up yourself from metal studs?

Erik