How do you think i did on my NEW BOAT =)

oregonboatnewb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, its a long story so i'll fill in the details later...

Got me a 1990 17ft OPEN BOW =) SeaSwirl Today...

It has a 120HP Evinrude motor, matching factory trailer, every option, comes with 10 lifejackets/tubes/fish finder/the works !

I got it from 2nd owner, who was an 80 year old, nice guy, who let a neighbor borrow cash, and has held the boat for the last year... neighbor got fired,lots his house, and now he was selling the boat to get some of his money back...

2nd owner, who i got it from, lent neighbor 4600 cash for the boat, as when he looked around last year, and had everything checked out, the small town marina said it was worth that much...

I Don't honestly know how much this boat is worth, i do know i've never seen a boat in better shape... Its been garaged it whole life, 210 Total Hrs, lots of paperwork history for service, and looked great inside and out...
The front area had almost never been used, they only had 1 kid, so never used it... all the leather looked great, floors solid as rock, no stress cracks anywhere, transom like a rock, no bad smells... I'm going to have it inspected tomorrow, owner agreed that if inspection found any issue at all, he would let me return it, but knew the full history of boat well enough to say he has not a doubt or worry about it.

Here are a few pictures, not man as i'm picking it up tomorrow and will take more, but what do you guys think a boat of this quality is worth ?
IMG_8042.jpg

IMG_8041.jpg

IMG_8043.jpg

IMG_8044.jpg

IMG_8045.jpg

IMG_8046.jpg

oregonboatnewb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How do you think i did on my NEW BOAT =)

IMG_8047.jpg

IMG_8048.jpg

On a side note, check out this fords new mustachio !
05974699_1X.jpg

Last edited:

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

... i think the ol fellar in the pic is dying to take you on a sea trial. boat looks to be in great shape. i had a ton of fun in a SS about the same year. built well, ran great. 4500 is a lot for a boat that year. but you weigh all the plus's and expense you would put in a fixer upper to get where that boat is today. offer 3500 and see what happens.

good luck

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

I think he already bought it. That's alot of money but if it treats you well and you love it, who's to say what's too much. I got my first boat for a steal but I'd of probably paid twice what the guy wanted because I saw the boat fell in love and tracked down the owner. Ball was in his court but he was nearing CH7 and wanted it gone. Didn't do as well on second boat which looked like a steal as well. Nice boat-Good luck with it.

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

I'd say that the almost like new condition defies any book/age rating,
and you did just fine.

I'd like to know if that motor runs as good as it looks, and how the ride and
stability is with those chines.

Enjoy your new boat!

:)

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looks like a very nice boat I am sure you will enjoy it :D

Wildcatin

Cadet

Im with Mick......looks like a real nice boat. I would think its a nice buy!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That boat is so friggin' cherry that I'm pretty sure if you pay just under what a new one costs I'd be a good deal! Good luck! That is a fantastic boat/engine combo.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

And the matching trailer in like new condition is sweet. Funny how that ski pole base rusted though...must have been aftermarket....

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

WOW!!!!! 18 years old and looks like new! I'd be afraid to use it. Unreal.

You got a great deal no matter what you paid. In tha condition it's better than most boats half that old.

Bigprairie1

Commander

That looks like a top condition boat. I would do some due diligence on it and give it a good check over and a compression test and ideally a water test.;)
As for price, if you get it for something near/less than $4600 bucks and it checks out to be in top condition..youre golden. That kind of dough barely gets you into a new outboard motor...and no boat!
Check it out, good luck, looks good.
BP:)

HVSTRINE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Very nice! The suspense is killing me, how much???

oregonboatnewb

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK,

Here is the Scoop ! AS many of you know, i've been hunting for a while, i never seem to find anything good for what i want to spend...

So ANYWAY, yesterday i was at my local car auctions that i go to ever so often (Cause i deal atv's i got licenses to get in anywhere) turns out a local atv dealership went bankrupt, and had to auction alot of there inventory at the auction i was at... last week they did most of them, yesterday they only had 2 left... I ended up winning one of the ATV's for about 1550 + fee's 1840 Total... Picked it up today, and it was Cherry ATV, brand new Kymco Mongoose 300, retail 3800.00... So i put a CL Add up,

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/boa/1041503562.html

2 Min later an old guy calls me "Yeah i got this really really nice 17 ft boat, thats open bow, and my grandson wants an atv, wanna come check it out" He lives an hour away, but the way he told me over the phone the boat looked, i loaded back up the atv' i just unloaded, and took off...

I show up, the ATV is a gem, as soon as i walked into the garage, i knew i had to have it... i walk around it, check out the transom, knock on the floors, but after about 10min of inspection, i know i'm not going to find anything wrong, for the 1st time, everything looks right... I tell him i'll take it (cause he implied on the phone he would stright trade) But he had a different plant, he wanted at least 4650 for the boat, cause the guy who he was holding for, he lent out 4650 on the boat... so thats what he was into it... I told him the atv was worth 3800 + freight and assembly and that is about 4650, he called a local atv place, and they quoted him 3500 out the door !!! He then wanted atv and 1000.00 cash... I haggled with him for about 20 min, but it did no good, i offered him 500, and 550, he said he will take 800, not a penny less cause in his mind, my atv is only worth 3500 max to him, and he needs all the cash he can get out of it... in the backround of this, his wife was buying a 12ft alum boat from some guy in the backround, and i asked if she needed a trolling motor... She did, and i have a 30lb i dont use, so i said... 650, and a trolling motor, he said deal !!! I get tons of jackets and all kinds of fishing poles/fish finder/tubes/anchor and everything thats in it... included a full 2 year old "button in cover" and a cover that goes over that also (like a UV/Rain cover)...

So i'm into the boat 2490.00 + Used trolling motor... and never in my months of searching for a boat, have i seen anything close to what i wanted, for around that price... i'm ever so excited to go pick it up tomorrow ! Borrowing a friends truck, as my "boat truck" is getting the tranny rebuilt so i can tow her !!! I'll get lots more pictures tomorrow, when i get her to her new home outdoor garage canopy !

TURNS OUT, THERE ARE GOOD BOATS !!! Just not many, and defiantly not for this kind of funds =)

godspede619

Seaman

okay....so you had me at the first few pics you showed.....nice boat btw but what happened. you buy both boats or just decided to pass the first one up.

godspede619

Seaman

And was the busted up f150 included in the deaL. LOL

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

OK,

So i'm into the boat 2490.00 + Used trolling motor... and never in my months of searching for a boat, have i seen anything close to what i wanted, for around that price...

Now thats a deal! Congrats :)

oregonboatnewb

Petty Officer 1st Class

And was the busted up f150 included in the deaL. LOL

LOL I wish ! The truck is a 90 f150 4x4 with 5.0 lt, and it has 95k original miles... i only paid 1500 for it, put 300 in all new brakes, 400 for used rebuild tranny and 200 to put it in, so i'm at about 2200 for the truck, but its got ALOT Of new parts, all fluids flushed, new rotor/cap/plugs, and is ready for years of abuse, towing a boat, and taking me through the dunes !

oregonboatnewb

Petty Officer 1st Class

This will be my 1st oil injected motor... its been sitting for about 8-12 months, Should i just take it to shop to start up/get the juices flowing, have em do compression and check everything out...

Does oil go bad if its sitting for that long ? I know i will need to either get all gas out, and put fresh gas in, or add some sort of additive... he said his son came over, and ran it 6 months ago, to keep all the juices flowing, what should i look at/inspect before trying to start it ?

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congrats. I've been watching your search on the forums and know your excited.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

This will be my 1st oil injected motor... its been sitting for about 8-12 months, Should i just take it to shop to start up/get the juices flowing, have em do compression and check everything out...

Does oil go bad if its sitting for that long ? I know i will need to either get all gas out, and put fresh gas in, or add some sort of additive... he said his son came over, and ran it 6 months ago, to keep all the juices flowing, what should i look at/inspect before trying to start it ?

nice boat, I'd say you did well on it, there's a lot of life left in that boat. If it's been sitting that long, I'd prolly pump the gas out, clean the carbs and change the plugs, change the water pump and grease everything before I'd try starting it. Even if you took it to the marina you'd still be ahead. Look at how clean the skeg and prop are, amazing, boats here look more beat than that after 15 minutes in the saltwater.