Homeless man jailed for poaching

cadunkle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Homeless man jailed for poaching

That's teach him to feed himself without being a drain on society. We'll fix him up right good down at the wellfare line to get his check from the rest of us. Then when that isn't enough we'll make sure he learns to rob us, shake us down on the corners. Much better than living off the land.

jonesg

Admiral

The term itself is nuts, "homeless" , their problem isn't that they lack a home.

Most of them are alkies. They are there by choice.
They don't like being told what to do by anyone and will live under a bridge to prove it rather than in a shelter.

Defiance isn't a clinical psych disorder but many have other problems too.
There is free help available everywhere, AA is everywhere especially in jail.

mthieme

Captain

1972, AA County, MD. Little old lady shoplifts a can of tuna because she can't afford to buy it. Judge throws her in jail for three days so she could get fed.

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

A guy around here in Fort Worth had been homelss for years. All of his front teeth had fallen out in his twenties from pure neglect. Used drugs and drank in his teens as he freely admits. thats contributed to how he became homeless - everyone gave up on him so he dropped out- left his home town a drifted here. Stopped using drugs and drinking many years ago but never could find stability due to severe, severe depression as the story in the paper claims. His depression could ruin relationships before they could start. One day he heard about the need for tutors to earn $20/hr for GED exams. He applied for the temp position and after some hesitation and doubt, he was tested to determine his mastery of mathmatics. He aced it. learned all his math by looking over books while he was homeless. Very smart guy- can glace at sentences and pop off number of consonates and vowels in a second. The guy running the tutor temp helped him out and now he's in college doing well and tutoring his fellow students. Doing ok for now. I read this in the local paper so forgive me if I made any mistakes. Just shows that not everyone homeless is continuously drunk or even a lost cause. Some people just aren't made to the same mold as the rest of us.

Shizzy

Ensign

give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. teach a man to fish and he will sit in jail for 10 days.....

treedancer

Commander

Hhmm?homeless; California had 14,351 home foreclosures in January, 20,952 in December. I wonder if he could have been part of that group? :confused:

D

DJ

I generally would not consider judging a persons actions based upon a news story. Especially a newspaper.

My personal experinece, with the Press, is that they get about 10% right. The rest is pure supposition or made up-outright.

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

10% huh? I think around here the that wopuld probably be the amount that isn't true, maybe 15%. I read the paper alot and have relied on the info in it regularly for years without incident. 90% false isn't just freedom of press it's just plain irresponsible as is the claim. We don't have that problem to that degree.

mthieme

Captain

I don't think they report inaccurately most of the time.
I think they just don't report the whole thing - only a small piece consisting of what they want to present. Too many times you see a few short seconds of a video clip or a phrase quoted, all of which may not be in context not having repotred the rest of it.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Gve a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he will end up in the pokey for 10 days, because you forgot to tell him which fish to throw back! ;)

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That's teach him to feed himself without being a drain on society. We'll fix him up right good down at the wellfare line to get his check from the rest of us. Then when that isn't enough we'll make sure he learns to rob us, shake us down on the corners. Much better than living off the land.

I could not have said it nearly as well.
Who wants to throw the first stone?

treedancer

Commander

I could not have said it nearly as well.
Who wants to throw the first stone?

rolling_stones_1807743.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Ok; which one do you want?[/FONT] ;)

puddle jumper

Captain

Poaching in the interior of BC is common. The game wardens have more than there hands full with it and with the economy the way it is now IL bet it will happen more often.

You know if i was hungry ( most of us don't know what being really hungry is about). I think i would do it regardless of any law.

Its sad that i said that because the endanger fish has no say in the matter.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

imo anyone who is catching fish to eat/survive should be aloud to do so, at least give him a warning and tell him not to keep any more.........what are the odds of him catching another?.......besides he was feeding himself not steeling from anyone.

i understand we have to protect our environment and everything that includes..........but not at to the extent to jail smoebody for trying to eat...........although as it has been said ---- at least he got 3 hots and a cot for 10days!!!!!

cheburashka

Senior Chief Petty Officer

imo anyone who is catching fish to eat/survive should be aloud to do so, at least give him a warning and tell him not to keep any more.........what are the odds of him catching another?.......besides he was feeding himself not steeling from anyone.

I don't know about that one. There are a lot of countries now with endangered species that are being killed so folks can eat. People going onto game preserves to get "bushmeat" (gorilla, chimpanzee, etc.) I think the era of hobos living off the land is long gone, unless you want to count dumpster diving. His one meal means that a lot of people won't get to catch and eat the salmon that would have been spawned by that one fish.

I'd say he was stealing. Stealing from other anglers who rely on the spawning process to keep fish in that stream and the rivers it feeds.

luv2b0at

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't put all homeless in the same boat. There are thousands of homeless people who have a mental illness. I have met hundreds of mentally ill homeless who are a product of what they were exposed to during their time in the miltary and many more who turned to drugs and alcohol to try to forget what they saw and experienced during war. They volunteered or were drafted and exposed to the horrors of war. Many of these veterans have no family to turn to and are not capable of truly taking care of themselves. If they are not a danger to themselves or others and do not choose to accept the benefits the US offers veterans, then they are left to do as they please. It's a very hard call to make as to who should be forced to be taken care of and who should be left alone.

Benny1963

Lieutenant

got a homeless guy that lived under a bridge by me ,
two years ,finally i stopped and talked to him veteran of two wars
silver cross two purple hearts .im a veteran so i asked him if he wanted something to eat he said he was good ,took him to the va a couple of times
got to look at his docs, bonafide hero man,but liquer had gotten him .a his mental stability was shot ,but anyone shot at for any period of time will tell ya its stressfull,anyway he died under the bridge couple years ago .
i was going to the store when they took him away ,i had talked to him many times he was a good man,just lonely and forgotten ,the officers gave me a couple of his personal effects ,have his silver cross and two purple hearts have tried to find his family no luck .gone but not forgotten,everyone has to be carefull in life ,to avoid disaster,because its there waiting ,

luv2b0at

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Benny, sent you a PM. Haven't heard back. Do you have this guys name. I may have some avenues to find out if he has any surviving relatives.