Runs great... but won't stop!

SimonC

Cadet
I've recently converted my 55 Yamaha to electric start and it works great, however I just cannot get it to stop!<br /><br />I've used all genuine parts apart from the ignition switch which is a 6 post OMC one.<br /><br />The switch has 2 terminals marked M (apparently the black wire goes to these) and it makes no difference which one I use.<br /><br />Does anyone have any ideas as choking it to death every time I want to stop is obviously a bit amateurish?

SimonC

Cadet
Re: Runs great... but won't stop!

Further to my earlier post, I have now spent another fruitless day trying to get the motor to stop.<br />At the moment I have 7 wires coming out of the Yamaha loom. <br />White - Ignition<br />Brown - Solenoid<br />Blue - Choke<br />Red - Battery<br />Black - Ground<br />Pink - Overheat warning<br />Green - Rev Counter<br /><br />The OMC/Mercury pattern switch has 6 terminals, at the moment it is wired as follows:<br /><br />S - Brown<br />B - Red<br />I - White<br />C - Blue<br />M - Black<br />M - Spare<br /><br />I'm currently at a loss to work out why the motor will not stop when I turn the key back to the first position. <br /><br />It will stop if I touch the black wire to the same terminal as the white connection(I) which suggests to me that the fault must lay in the switch rather than the loom.<br /><br />Does anyone have any ideas how to solve this?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> take the white wire to one of the M terminals. take the black wire to the other<br /> the yellow wire will go to the I terminal. the red to the B terminal the brown to the S terminal making sure a provision for start in gear protection has been used. <br /> good luck and hopefully no damage has been done by hooking the stop wire to 12 positive.

SimonC

Cadet

Hi Rodbolt,<br /><br />Thanks for your help, but I'm still a bit confused.<br /><br />You have said to connect the yellow wire to the I terminal - the problem is I don't have a yellow wire!<br /><br />The ones left if I follow your suggestions would be Blue (choke?), Pink or Green. Which of these would you suggest hooking to the I terminal?<br /><br />Many thanks in advance for your continuing help.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I wish I had Yamaha wiring diagram...<br /><br />The kill circuit wire is what you're looking for. It needs to be connected to your spare M terminal. When the switch is turned off, the two M terminals are connected. One wire would be a ground, the other the kill wire. So to kill the motor, the kill wire is grounded. If you have a lanyard kill switch, it'll also have a ground and a kill wire to it. I hope this helps.<br /><br />M stands for Magneto. Early points ignition systems on two cylinder motors had black leads connected to each set of points. With the switch turned to the Off position, the points were essentially connected together. As the points cam turns with the crankshaft, one set of points is closed when the other opens. That way they cancel each other to kill the motor. But then, that's probably more than you need to know. Just an explanation for the two M terminals. And nope, it doesn't matter which of the two wires go to which M terminal, even on yours.<br /><br />B=Battery, S=Start, C=Choke, I=Ignition<br /><br />Another confuser here is the I designation. Most outboards have separate ignition and accessory circuits. A more appropriate designation for outboards would be A for Accessory. Unless your motor has Battery powered ignition (few do), The I terminal has nothing to do with the Ignition system.

SimonC

Cadet

Thanks WillyB, <br /><br />Thanks to your explanation I now think I understand where I've been going wrong. I'd assumed that with 2 M terminals I should have 2 identical wires!<br /><br />I'll try out what you suggest when I get home from work tonight and let you know the result.<br /><br />Many thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

ok<br /> the tiller or C models wiring has no ign wire<br /> the I terminal on yours wont be used<br /> blue is choke green is tach send,black is ground brown is start red is battery positive and pink is hot horn or light.<br /> white is kill. attach the white to the other m terminal. life is not so hard, dont make it so. next time buy a manual to study.<br /> good luck and keep posting

SimonC

Cadet

Hi Rodbolt,<br /><br />Thanks again, I do have the manual, but unfortunately it doesn't cover hooking up a Yamaha motor to an OMC/Mercury switch.

SimonC

Cadet

Success - I changed the connections as suggested by both Rodbolt and WillyB and at last my motor stops as it should.<br /><br />I should add that my wife is particularly impressed with iboats as now I'll have time to get on with all the other jobs that need doing around the house!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Congrats and Lucky You! You get to reach into the Honeydew (Honey, DO!) Jar. You could pull that wire back off and tell the wife you still have a problem which (of course) would require hours and hours of on-water testing. ;)