Has anyone out there actually taken a Boating Safety course?

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Has anyone out there actually taken a Boating Safety course?

I guess technically I took some in person classes. I got my motor boating and small boat sailing merrit badges in boyscouts. They actually teach you the same stuff that the MD class teaches.

Johnson 225

Seaman Apprentice

Yes I did last year plus it save on insurance.

Ned L

Commander

I've been on boats since I was 5 months old, my brother beat me (since two weeks old for him) only because I was born in the winter. When I was growing up I got my own first boat when I was eight years old, if I wasn't in school I was out on the water, from Feb when I had to pull the boat across the ice to get to open water throught the whole season up to Thanksgiving when I would have ice around the waterline when I went sailing. A friend of ours who was a true "Sandy Hook Pilot" would tell others that I was born with salt water in my blood. Have spent time offshore commercial fishing & majored in commercial fishing & marine technologies in collage. Have cruised from NJ to Nantucket, & up the Hudson River to the Canadian boarder. Have worked as a professional boat builder.
Was out of boating for a few years, and Yes, I took a legitimate boating safety course a couple of years ago to make sure I was still up on things.

sands

Cadet

I don't have a boat yet, but already took the Boater safety Education course online. Just to be ready for Spring.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't have a boat yet, but already took the Boater safety Education course online. Just to be ready for Spring.

Hi Sands. Looks like you just submitted your very first post on this forum.

Taking the boater safety course was the first good thing you did in your boating career. Joining this forum was the second.

Welcome Aboard!

in Tennessee anyone born after jan 1 1981 is required to pass a computer/written test. Costs 10 bucks I was the first one in my county two or three years go to take it.

RickV1955

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I'm retiring within the year....
My wife and I purchased a home in Bradenton, Florida last March, and will be moving their full time.

I'm looking to buy a boat...in the 25 foot center console range.....

Haven't done much boating in the gulf (none by myself) and absolutely intend to take the U.S. Coast Guard course!!!
Seems kind of crazy that someone would buy a boat and head out without any traning what so ever.....but I'm sure their out there.....lol

Anyone know where to find a USCG course around the Bradenton area?
Supposed maybe at one of the Colleges??

Rick

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

The Bosslady and I took the Power Squadron course one winter over 20 years ago. I also bought a copy of Chapmans shortly thereafter.

We wanted to join the USPS after taking the course, but they would never respond back to any of my letters. Oh well.

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

Personally, after seeing all of these, um, not-so-intelligent boaters, I think it should be mandatory. I took the Marine Patrol boating safety course and obtained my boater's license at 13 years old. I have been around boats all my life, and also did a term in the Navy. I also think it should be mandatory to take a "Boat Ramp Etiquette" course.

captharv

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Shane, I know what you mean....

I took the 12 lesson CG Auxiliary course in 1969 when I bought my first trailerable boat. I stayed and was a working member of the Auxilary for 26 years, then retired from them.
I have had 14 boats since, and currently licensed 50 ton captain.
Tell me about the idiots on the water. We got them when we were on patrol after they did everything else wrong.....

Seriously, take a power squadrons or CG Auxiliary course. If you don't have time (no excuse) take the BAOTUS course on your computer. For what it is, its very good. Then, you can call up the test, and you get a certificate printed on your own printer if you pass.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

While there may be trend towards online courses, an option I also had here in Minnesota, I actually wanted to take the in-person sit down course instead. For one thing, we could ask questions, and there were some really good ones. For another, it was good fun. Met some nice folks, and we often chatted before and after class, and during the break. There were some good stories to be heard.

dkennedy

Cadet

i got my boat license at 14 and my captains license at 17

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Took courses in the 70's. Also took a refresher safety course last year on line.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

As a matter of fact yes. As well as reading the Arizona Boaters Guide to Rules and Regulations at least once each season. Sometimes the stupidity of others has me rethinking my own training and sanity! I have yet to find myself in violation of a rule. (Other than letting my 5 year old feed the ducks):D
I cannot tell you how many PWC operators violate the 60 feet/no jumping rule, boaters the skiing in a no ski/no wake zone and all of the above including pontoons exceeding the no wake limit. They just smile and wave around here, like they havn't got a clue (they dont). Imagine 10 boats all beached along a gravel shore in a no wake and some idiot goes blasting by at 15 or 20 knots...you wind up with a lot of unhappy boaters.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

I am really glad I posted this question. I am amazed at how many of the respondents have taken more than one safety course. It seems that once we see how much there is to know, we just keep going to get as much as we can.

I agree that it would appear that a license is going to be a requirement in time, even tho I hate the thought. But the reason is obvious everytime we go out on the water. The Yahoos that give no thought to the other boaters are the one's that will make it happen, and they're the one's that will scream the loudest.

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My boating education started with Boy Scouts, then continued with 5 years in the Sea Scouts, on into the Navy and the most all of the courses of the U.S. Power Squadron. I am quite convinced that the Power Squadron courses are so good....really so right on the subject...in a comprehensive way. For anyone who has an interest in being on the water with knowledge...then I'd strongly recommend a USPS course....there is obviousily no substitute for on the water experience.... but the courses are taught during the cold, dark days/nights of the winter...what could be better. Take a course. Good luck.

Mr. Bogus

Cadet

I took the DNR boating safety course when I was 14. It's a good idea for kids to get some kind of training before they develop unsafe/rude habits.

Chiliando

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My son( 13 year old) and I will take the 10 day Power Squardon course starting on March 11th. I want to get him started right. The instuctor is not sure if they can issue him a certificate cause of his age.

Safety first!

Jason 641

Seaman

I took a US Power Squadron course when I was 13 or 14 (about 12 years ago)so I could drive the boat by myself in NY. I have been out on the water pretty much all summer, every summer since then. I just bought a new boat though and I'm sure my girlfriend will be driving it so maybe it will be a good idea for us both to go take a class. she hasn't been around boats too much, except with me and it wouldn't hurt me to get a refresher.

zach103

Commander

its always nice to take it.. for what a couple hours of your time and a small amount of money.. that way shes familiar with everything and you can brush up on it all too