Thermostat DT-40 1985

jimnmad

Cadet
The water temperature where this motor is located is probably about 45 degrees farenheit. When the motor is started the stream coming out of the water pump is pretty full on. It would seem to me that when it is first started there shouldn't be much getting past the thermostat until the motor starts to warm up and then it would start to flow more fully. This motor ran pretty well when the water was warmer but now doesn't seem to run as well. Could it not be getting up to proper operating temperature?<br /> Any easy tests that i could do without having to take the thermostat out?<br /><br />Thanks for any input. I'm still pretty new to this.<br /><br />Jim

jafa

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Thermostat DT-40 1985

I'm not an expert but I've got a dt 40. I'm sure the more experienced could confirm, but one of the first signs of running too cold is fouled plugs. If I put my fingers on the thermostat housing there is a sudden rise in temp after about 2 minutes indicating its opened. Obvioiulsy this will depend on the water input temp and its summer down here in NZ.<br />The pee stream is not in the thermostat exit path so should always flow , about 30 seconds after motor start.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Thermostat DT-40 1985

Jim<br />The telltale is connected before the thermostat and only indicates that the water pump is working thus it should flow whenever the motor is running whether or not the thermostat has opened as the motor warms up. When I run my motor on the muffs I can feel the water temp at the exhaust (prop) warm up as the motor warms up, This can take several minutes. If it does not, it may pay to check the thermostat. Perhaps someone else can suggest a more scientific method.<br /><br />Good Luck