Worried I bought the wrong boat?

bear_69cuda

Commander
I'm a first time boat owner... My wife and I borrowed a friends boat last summer for a week, and rented a cabin on a lake. We both grew-up with friends and family having boats, and spent many hours on the lakes in Madison. After the week on the water, we both realized we were in love with boating... So I found a boat that seemed perfect, in my excited state of mind.

I bought my 1999 Bayliner in early November with a 3.0 135 hp. Mercruiser. The boat was in immaculate condition, and after a test run at the dealer, and not knowing much about boats, I was still impressed with the performance. I only had myself and the wife on-board, and the boat seemed to have a great hole-shot, and nice top end of 43mph @ 4800 rpm. Not GPS. I paid $5500 for the boat. My plans are cruising, tubing, maybe knee-boarding, and some fishing. Now I'm beginning to wish I would have taken my time looking for a 4.3L boat. I'm worried that this boat loaded with gear and 4 people is gonna be some sort of dog. All the posts I read seem to be kinda down on the 3.0... I've since then purchased a trolling motor, stereo, 3 battery relay charging system, and built a removable bow fishing platform. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=286714 So now I'm in deep and think I should have waited to find a 4.3 boat... Also wish I would have found the great folks at iboats before I purchased. I guess I'm looking for opinions... Should I possibly swap for a different boat? Chill and learn to be a good mariner and upgrade in a few years? Look into an engine change? Maybe difficult because this model was not offered with a 4.3... Although it looks as if there is enough room. I don't see why a 19' boat couldn't have a 4.3 installed. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated...

Have a great weekend!

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Worried I bought the wrong boat?

since ya ain't had it in the water yet, and ya got time and $'s invested. i think i'd go boating next spring in what ya got. enjoy it to the max... in a year or two, you'll have a much better idea of exactly what kind of boating you like to do. which will help you decide what the next kinda boat your gonna get is.....
any boat is better than no boat ya know... ;) enjoy...

tbear1964

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My friend has an '07 Bayliner 195 BR and it gets up and goes pretty well with 3 of us big guys on board. With 4 people you should be fine. Distribute the gear forward (people too) to keep the weight off the stern. If you find it dogging a bit under load, you can always drop an inch or two in prop pitch to give it more bite and a little less top end. Unless you're looking to always run 4-6 people, the 3.0 should be fine. JMO

Enjoy your Summer. Don't sweat it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

give it a chance, it is fine for a beginner, cut your teeth on it. bump into the dock several times, scratch it loading on the trailer. all the things newbies do, then decide if you want to keep it for another couple of season. learn to place the people in the boat where YOU want them. it will help in the performance.

Shizzy

Ensign

get it in the water and try it out. It will give you a better Idea wat you want and dont want.

WHat you think you need and what you actually need are going to be 2 different things.

Bondo

Staff member

Look into an engine change?

Ayuh,....

Unless you're a Mechanic, with access to a reasonably well equiped shop,...

Enjoy what you Have, then move Up from there, by trading boats.....

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

Bear, enjoy your new boat without any regrets or second thoughts! Have fun but be careful. You've got a nice rig so use it to have some family fun. Boating is a learing experience, so enjoy the ride. And congratulations on your new rig! :)

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have a 1996 Wellcraft with a 4.3L V6 and it is 19.5 feet long. It is more than enough power if you do not all weigh 300 pounds. My mom has the same boat that you do with the 4 banger and I honestly cannot tell the difference in performance when we are driving the boats around. I do notice a difference when we are skiing or wake boarding though. That is when you need the extra oomph of the V6. You can prop that 4 banger to have great hole shot or great top speed but one will dramatically effect the other. Try it out before you decide anything, you may be pleasantly surprised. The bayliners are on the lighter side so if you do not load it down with 5 or 6 big people and then try to pull a big skier up then you should be fine. To put it in perspective, my brother in law has a Nautique with the 340 horse LT1 V8 and it gets up to around 38MPH really fast and then starts to run out of steam or top end speed, but he can drag two or three 275 dudes behind his boat like they are not even there. You can prop your boat for one or the other but not both realistically.

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with the 2 prop usage. Sounds like you got the right boat,
although with the engine you just need to gear it right for the load.
Enjoy!!!

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Have to agree with what everyone else has said. Once the ice has melted, get out there and enjoy your new boat. Everyone else from WIS. is down here in my neighborhood, how did you get stuck up there? Keep the weight to a minimum. It is very easy to overload a boat with useless stuff that you think you might sometime need. Keep it simple!! BLATZ beer for the adults and some of that LITE stuff for the kids is sufficient. regards FRED

bear_69cuda

Commander

Thanks everyone!

I feel better after reading all your replies...

This will be the boat I learn about boats... I guess I kinda freaked out with folks not having much positive comments about Bayliners, and the small 3.0 being sluggish.

Then after some time, I'll know what I want and need when I trade up...

It's frustrating buying a boat right when the state of Wisconsin goes into deep freeze... To much time to think about crap...

I really appreciate all you fine folk!

Thanks again!

Now back to reading my book on 12v marine electrical systems... Schlitz beer is back! It's friggin freezing rain! My boat is 20 miles from my house, so I can't even drive out to sit in it, and enjoy a beer! I hate winter sometimes!

Happy New Year iboats!

BTW. The boat of my dreams is a SeaRay fish and ski with a 4.3.....

tbear1964

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Another idea to keep in mind when you start running the boat in the Spring....if you have alot of bowrise and moving the passengers/gear forward doesn't work well, trim tabs might very well be a good solution for you. They are popular on small bowriders. Nauticus makes an inexpensive, automatic system called Smart Tabs that are set on actuators so they are deployed when stopped/going slow and retract with water pressure as you gain speed. They will help push the bow down so you get on plane quickly, and also will stablize the boat in the turns, reducing chine walk. I've had them on my 16 footer for 2 years. Best $125 I spent on the old tub. But like I said, check things out in the Spring first. You need a good baseline on performance before doing modifications. Good luck. Ted

bear_69cuda

Commander

Thanks Ted,

I've thought about smart tabs... I'll check it out this spring to get baseline instead of theorizing crap in my head... :redface:

I just hope my new prop work well... My original is 14.25 x 21"P and still have yet to test my stainless 14.75 x 20"P Solas. One thing at a time right.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

All of us reading your thread are saying "SLOW DOWN" ...... but also remembering doing the exact same thing as you are!!!!

Read lots here and learn like you are. Spring will take forever to come for you with the new toy excitement, I'm afraid. Stop upgrading until you really know what you have and want. Stay excited though !!!!!!!!

You bought a 10 year old entry level boat with the base engine. Nothing wrong with that for the price - it is what it is. LOTS of them out there, easy to re-sell for a small loss in a few years. Bayliners/ like all boats. were either well maintained or not. if yours truely was well kept (no floor rot, tight fittings, engine in great shape) you're in good shape for the $$$ you spent.

With proper prop and maybe trim tabs (maybe not needed) you should be able to do the things you want. It could be you prop down for water sports (maybe 18-19" 4-blade or so) and keep a 3-blade SS for cruising. You won't know until you run it some more.

Have fun. Your family doesn't care if it's a 3L or 43.L ..... they just want to get out and play!!!!!!!!!

bear_69cuda

Commander

Hi tmh,

I know I need to simmer down...

All what you and the other folks say is so true... It is a fine boat in great almost new condition... Multiple props for different applications is a good idea... I'll see what my new stainless prop does before smart tabs...

Sunday sure comes fast!

Have a great day all!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Tell me: When you became engaged did you have second thoughts and think possibly you were marrying the wrong woman? What did you think on your honeymoon?

You really sound like the type of fellow who tempers his pleasure by second guessing everything he does. Right now, forget about the stainless prop because you are going to wonder if it is the correct choice too. RELAX! For the time being, enjoy the boat as it is. Later decide on improvements. In the beginning, even the wrong boat is the right boat.

If you are really going to use the boat as a family boat, before performance changes, if you don't already have one, buy a bimini for shade while you are picnicing or anchored. That will be the best investment you will make and many times it can be transferred to the next boat you will undoubtably buy.

As said above: You have a really nice entry level boat. You have gotten into boating for relatively little money. NOW you and the family just enjoy it.

Undoubtably in a couple of years the boat will not suit your needs, but is is common for boaters to develop the two-foot-itis disease. I have never regretted any of the boats I have owned and right now I really like my 21 foot cuddy. I have no plans to trade it, but I am always looking out for the next 23 foot love. --Then maybe a 25-27 with something smaller to zip around on. That's the way it works.

gooseblitz

Cadet

I can relate....I spent a week with my brothers on the lake early summer...we purchased a 18 foot boat with a 5.0 shortly thereafter and had it out 4 weekends in a row....then a guy with a 22' Regal with a 5.7 called me back and accepted my month old offer....I loved my new boat but all my research told me this bigger boat bigger engine was worth it. It took me about 1 month to sell my 18' for exactly what I paid for it and haven't regretted it.
I advertised my old boat for more than what I paid for it and let people talk me down a little!:D

bear_69cuda

Commander

Cool...

Thanks dudes...

Frank hit me like a rock with the second guessing thing... Why do I do that crap Bear????? :confused:

It is what it is, cuz that's the way it's suppose to be right! :redface: I need to have a beer and chillax!

I'm just fortunate to even have a boat!

JorgeE

Seaman

Hey Bear,
Many of us are "second guessers"; I drive my wife nuts sometimes!
I think you'll be fine, and very happy with your purchase.
We had a 1977 16' Thunderbird that was pretty heavy for its length with a 1990 140 HP, same engine you have. It topped out around 37 MPH, so you may have more power to weight than we had. It pulled just fine with all 4 of us on board, total weight around 775 Lbs. Even with two of our kids' friends (just barely under max allowable weight) it was OK, not great, but OK.
You'll also LOVE how slowly the fuel gage needle moves.
Have a ball next summer!

Jorge