1977 35hp johnson

jsb91010

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok guys...my engine was running fine on day, then the next it wouldn't "fire" over. I checked and was getting no spark in either plug. I also tried disconnecting the black/yellow wire with no luck. I then bought a new power pack thinking that was the problem. Well, still NO spark in either plug:mad:..any ideas?

jsb91010

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1977 35hp johnson

thanks tasha...i've seen that page before...most all the words and stuff on there is foreign language LOL...I don't even know how to test the stator in step 2...im guessing my best option is taking it to a mechanic after christmas.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Its really not that bad if we talk you through it one step at a time.

Do you have a multi meter? Does the battery have enough juice to crank her to the 250 RPM needed to fire?

jsb91010

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well...I had one of those meter things, but I was messing with it around the engine trying to figure it out and then it stopped working. The fuse in the back isn't blown though. :mad::confused: The battery is FULL charge i made sure of that. Can I just get a cheap multi-meter? I've seen them at harbor freight for really cheap. Thanks. The problem isn't so much me not wanting to fix it, it's having ZERO knowledge on this electrical stuff and not knowing really any of the "lingo" used on here. something like this??????

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90899

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Dont worry about the "lingo", as it can easily be translated into laymans terms. Get a multi meter, and then we can talk you through the troubleshooting one step at a time. It will save you a few bucks, as well as give you the pride of fixing it yourself. (hopefully, and in theory anyways ;) )

Soon enough you will be helping others, using the "lingo", completely oblivious to the fact that at one point is was a foreign language to you!

Was there anything that happened immediately before the "No Spark" situation?

How are you going about testing for spark?

What is the condition/age of the plugs/wires/coils?

jsb91010

Petty Officer 3rd Class

To best of my knowledge there was absolutely nothing that happend...I had been workin on my boat so i finally got it done...I took it out to the lake with my dad and we trolled around for like 5 hours. During that 5 hours of trolling the engine died maybe 3 times. I restarted and all was well. Later that same night I went outside to try and start it because I had planned on fishing the next morning, that is when I noticed it wouldn't start. To check spark I am just removing plug and holding it with rubber pliers to check for the blue spark on bottom of plug. I see no spark in either plug. In all honesty I have no idea the age of the wires, etc. But i do know they don't look bad...If you want i'd be glad to get you a pic of the setup and you can tell me. I definetly am the DIY type, i just am iffy because it's electrical, and because usually my dad can help a little and with this, he's clueless like me. Thanks hightrim!!!

Ginder75

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The threaded end of the spark plug must be grounded prior to checking for spark. Thus when you are holding the spark plug with the plastic pliers, you must hold the spark plug where is touches the engine block.

You mentioned HarborFreight. They sell an inline spark tester. It snaps in the end of the spark plug boot and the other end connects to the spark plug (while it is installed in the motor). There is nothing to hold when testing, and there is less chance for an accidental shock. The tester usually sells for less than $5 and is often on sale for less the $2. One of the best tools for diagnoising a motor problem.

By the way, I have the exact same motor on my duck boat. This is my first season to run it and I am really pleased. My starter is giving me fits, but the pull start back-up has been a nice addition.

There are great folks here on Iboats, and they can really break it down to simple terms to help you find a solution. Secondly, ask the questions. Blindly buying parts gets expensive and you do not learn anything that will help you get off the lake incase a problem arrises on the lake.

jsb91010

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok guys, thanks for the info about the grounding of the plug!!!:eek: I still think something is wrong though as im not getting the engine to "fire" over...I am going to go today after work and try and get spark tester and multimeter. I will report back with my findings with the spark tester. Thanks guys for the info, i appreciate it!:cool:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

nothing like a new spark tester, and multimeter for Christmas, maybe even a screw in compression guage.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Be sure to let us know what you find, since having no spark, and having it simply not fire, are two completely different problems, with different issues that we will need to address.

jsb91010

Petty Officer 3rd Class

WOW...i feel like an idiot...i think i bought the power pack for no reason like you said "just buying parts" ...oh well live and learn...I retunred with a new spark tester, and multi meter :D ...I tested my plugs this time touching them to the head like you guys said and I have nice blue spark on both plugs!!! The engine still will not start. I also re-disconnected the black/yellow wire still no start. In regards to the black/yellow wire...I bought my control box seperate from engine and when I did I just cut the harness from engine, and spliced it with wires from control box...when i say I disconnected black/yellow wire I simply undid the splice. Is that sufficient??? Where do i start now guys?:confused:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Having spark is good! The fix may be easier now.

The following link is from the FAQ section, and will guide you through troubleshooting this no start situation.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158071

Dont be afraid to ask questions if you do not understand any of it, and just take it one step at a time. There are no stupid questions here.

Also, what is your starting procedure, step by step? It is possible that you are simply missing something. See here for the correct steps.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=225510

jsb91010

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well...my starting procedure is just pump the bulb till primed up n hard. Then i simply push my key "in" to choke it while starting it. That's it??? On another site someone said it's a fuel issue now since im getting spark, but I don't understand. I just rebuilt carbs a month or two ago. The plugs when I take them out after trying to start I can smell the gas on them...I believe it's getting gas? Am i in the right direction? Do you think an electrical problem is out the question? To me it just sounds that way because the engine doesn't have that "fire" over sound...just crraaank, craaaank, craaaank...I never hear that sound that it wants to start. Thanks. I am going to check those thinks right now!!!!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I would not start by troubleshooting the fuel delivery. Follow the steps in JBs article. I am mostly curious to see if you are getting 12 Volts at the starter while cranking. You will need a helper for this. Be VERY careful around the moving flywheel while holding the probes of the meter!

The usual problem here is dirty or loose connections, especially on the main ground connection at the motor coming from the battery. Take it off, polish it with a file, then re connect. Do this also for the battery terminals, and the connections for the starter and the solenoid.

But first things first, lets do this step by step before I get ahead of ourselves here.

jsb91010

Petty Officer 3rd Class

can i check the starter voltage while cranking with my multimeter?!?!? If so, a little help as to where to place the probes? I rechecked my compression it's 120 on both cylinders, and im getting spark in both cylinders...battery is FULL charge it's really cranking over good. Im going to try whatever you say tommorow since it's late tonight, and I don't want to be awake when santa comes to my house;)

jsb91010

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hey hightrim...following his article by the steps. I don't even test solenoid voltage because #1 says if starter engages, to skip that step??? I am waiting on a reply from you to show me where to put the probes so i can test it though anyways! So in your opinion should I even try squirting some pre-mixed fuel into carb while cranking it? Thanks bud...even though it's christmas i need to get myself back on the water :D...priorities...priorities:)

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Sorry for the delay, it being Christmas and all! The wife seems to think that family is more important than iboats, geesh! lol

Anyways, put your black probe on an engine ground, the bolt or cable grounding the starter motor to the engine is a good point, and your red lead on the large input for the starter motor. Note the reading. Also let us know the reading of your battery when sitting. Should be around 12.65 volts.

Voltage Drop Test

First set your DVM to the 20 Volt scale

Put your POS voltmeter lead on the battery POS terminal and the voltmeter NEG lead on the large incoming solenoid/battery terminal post and give her juice. If the meter reads more than .3 volts, the battery cable is bad, corroded or you have a faulty connection (loose).

Next, connect the POS lead to the incoming large solenoid post and the NEG lead to the outgoing large solenoid post while giving her juice. If the voltmeter reads greater than .2 volts, the solenoid is bad, corroded or has a faulty connection.

Next, connect the POS lead to the outgoing large solenoid post and the negative voltmeter lead to the starter positive post and give her juice. A reading of over .2 volts indicates faulty wiring between the solenoid and the starter.

Finally, connect the NEG lead to the NEG battery post and the POS lead to the engine block and crank the engine. A reading greater than .3 volts indicates a faulty negative cable, corrosion or a faulty connection.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

voltage drop test.gif

and yes by all means try squirting some pre mixed fuel into the cylinders. Just wanted to be sure that your ignition and starting systems were functional before proceeding to fuel delivery, as these tests go quick once you start.