WOOOOOOOOO Hoooooooooo $2.98/gal

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant
Re: WOOOOOOOOO Hoooooooooo $2.98/gal

In 1989 a three cylinder Suzuki Swift got 58-59 mpg
In 1994 the same car gets 40 mpg (Mrs Link. owns one)
In 2008 the same car braggs about 30 mpg!

DUH!

We are going backwards here!

Thank you Link!

I have wondered about this for years. My 13 year old car gets 60+ mpg and runs 110 mph on the autobahn.

The new version of "it" gets 30 mpg, cost two and a half times as much, and runs 110 mph on the autobahn. They are now bragging about how fuel efficient it is with all the new modern technology. :rolleyes:

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

I'm sure it has more to do with the economy than anything, but many believed gas prices would drop right before election.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Price was $3.66 Canadian last night up here in Ottawa, Ontario. With the Canadian to US currency exchange that puts it just around $3US/gallon.

Sad that that excites us compared to what it costs even 12 months ago.

gonefishie

Commander

$2.89 down the street from me. I think the last time I saw that was two years ago. I filled up my truck about 3 wks ago at $3 something. I still got a quarter tank left. I drive only when neccessary now, even fishing is not consider neccessary anymore. I surprised the heck out of myself when I realized that my truck didn't moved at all last weekend.

abj87 said:
Id rather pay the high gas prices than have the economy in shambles.

I hate to tell you but the high prices are a huge part of the problem. It decreased demand on EVERYTHING, bussineses become less profitable, peoples out of their job and no longer able to afford their mortage, buy new vehicle, take vacation, etc...and the list goes on...........

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Thank you Link!

I have wondered about this for years. My 13 year old car gets 60+ mpg and runs 110 mph on the autobahn.

The new version of "it" gets 30 mpg, cost two and a half times as much, and runs 110 mph on the autobahn. They are now bragging about how fuel efficient it is with all the new modern technology. :rolleyes:

Gov. mandated safety and emissions standards along with consumer driven extras/accessories are to be blamed.

skargo

Banned

$2.99 at our station in Md.

Our fuel supplier reps say it will keep coming down too, I hope they are right.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Gov. mandated safety and emissions standards along with consumer driven extras/accessories are to be blamed.

My 13 year old car just recently received a “Green” sticker allowing me to enter all major German cities at all times. It also just passed it's regular government emissions test with flying colors.

There are two and three year old VW diesels that are getting “Red” stickers that are now forbidden from entering the inner cities.

The increase in gas usage has to do with weight, not newer, stricter emission requirements.

Cars and trucks have just gotten FAT. :mad:

No one asked me if I wanted DVD monitors in the head rest, for legless back seat passengers in two door cars. These are often not consumer driven options, they are manufactures way of increasing profits.

Stereo packages that cost $150 pro vehicle here, are marked up to $3000+. These options/accessories double, tipple, often quadruple the profit margin per vehicle. They are also not optional, the are delivered to the dealer installed, pay for them, or you don't get the car.

Calling them options, is just the manufactures way of getting the press, to publish unrealistic low base prices.

I have to deal with the auto manufactures everyday. It is all marketing mumbo jumbo from the accounting departments, not the marketing people!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

3.47 here yesterday was the lowest i could find.
The news said we are the highest priced gas in the country right now!
California is cheaper than NC right now! Geeze!!

nathanglasgow

Seaman Apprentice

Try living in Scotland where i'm forking out ?1.16 per litre.Depending on the exchange rate it works out at about $10 a gallon.We however have free healthcare and unemployment benifit so i guess its all relative.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

We are also seeing lower prices! :D

It dropped to 1.52 Euro a liter or $5.44 a gallon today at an “airport employee only” private robot pump.

I think I'll run out and buy a H1! :rolleyes:

The high Euro to Dollar exchange rate makes it look cheaper than it really is, when you do the conversion to Dollars though.

pduquette

Ensign

GEE Bob..... I was trying to keep it quiet /not rub it in :D I've been paying lower $2.60's since last weekend :redface: Do you think Sovern will give me my truck back????

Euro95

Seaman Apprentice

We pay $7.34 US Dollar here for 1 US Gallon at the moment, believe it or not but it was much higher. Gotta love lil' Europe.

fishdog4449

Chief Petty Officer

It's low here too, however....:)

We have a program in richmond called Ukrops fuelperks..basically for every 50$ we spend at Ukrops they take 10c off 20 gallons of your gas. We buy enough groceries at Ukrops that last time my dad and I filled up the vehicles...the total bill was 2.58$ for 20 gallons of gas! I think we paid 0.129$ a gallon :) :)
However, only useful if you spend alot at U already!

skargo

Banned

Try living in Scotland where i'm forking out ?1.16 per litre.Depending on the exchange rate it works out at about $10 a gallon.We however have free healthcare and unemployment benifit so i guess its all relative.
How is the taxation situation at your location?

JustJason

Vice Admiral

where are you finding it for 2.60 in mass?

i386

Captain

Dropped 6 cents from yesterday. $3.09 now.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

How is the taxation situation at your location?

I don't want to speak for "nathanglasgow", but the only real difference in gasoline price, is tax. We all buy from the same wells, for basically the same prices.

It is only federal, regional and local taxes that makes up the differences in prices paid world wide.

It ranges from 20cents a gallon to $40+, it just all depends how many hands it passes through, are the supply channels official, or black market, and how much tax the government puts on it.

Some countries subsidize the cost of gasoline to drive the economy, some tax excessively to drive there uncontrolled spending. The U.S. lays somewhere in the middle.

Unfortunately most governments don't look at the effects of high prices on the economy, they look at the additional taxes to be had for them to spend.

The quickest way to cut gas prices, is to cut gas taxes.

In Germany there used to be a small sign on each pump telling you how much you really paid for gas, and how much you just gave the State (over 80% of the liter price). It was an attempt to cut down on the violence aimed at the local dealers caused by the frustration of people who had to have gas to get to work, but were having to cut back on food to pay for it.

They just said don't blame us, blame the politicians for continually dipping into your pocket to support their excesses.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Gas prices coming down just before an election... yeah... we're not falling for that one again... to quote:

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on you? You ain't gonna fool me no more!