mercruiser starter replace?

mthieme

Captain
Re: mercruiser starter replace?

Ouch.
Have you tried reaching underneath from the front?

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

All this starter trouble ( well atleast replacing them) maybe we should invent or reinvent an alternative. I have seen these old (1920;'s) cars and with the crank on the front of the engine, you know the one. Why not go back to this. Have a key switch were we control the 12v source then a mechanism like a small gear box attached to the balancer or what not that we just turn over. I bet if we made one we could make a million dollars. hahaha or maybe I am just jaded from changing my starter twice and then realizing it was my flywheel and having to pull the engine any way.

The long and short is, you may be able to develop such and item quicker then changing this starter.

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

that will be my next try probably I will have to remove the oil pan to get more space I will let you guys know.

chiefalen

Captain

No don't remove the pan!

Your gonna have to lift the motor.

It's a byatch.

mthieme

Captain

Some of the oil pan bolts are behind the starter.

chiefalen

Captain

See why the mechs get paid what they do, to do work on some of these boats.

Takes a half a day just to remove the seats in some of these boats.

Than some motors have to be lifted just to get to a water pump.

The starter hell if there was asses the starter would be a 15 minute job.

Here is a perfect reason why they have to charge what they do.

Freekin 2 day job. 1 day if you have everything right there.

mthieme

Captain

You got it.

When I was kid, one of my buddies had a '69 Mustang SCJ with a 428 in it. Talk about needing a shoehorn! Well, it was so tight in the there was less than an inch between the valve covers and the fender wells / shock towers. You simply could not get your hand down there. Of course the fender wells were closed - couldn't go in that way.
It would the local shop 3-4 days to change the spark plugs.
It cost hundreds of dollars.

betayv

Im goint to try again if not Im taking the boat to my friend shop So I can use his tools to take out the engine.

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

Some big-block Corvettes had the same problem. I remember years ago, in my father's shop, having to partially pull the engines on some of them to replace the rear plugs. Others required drilling a two-inch hole through the inner fender housing!. Unfortunately, you can't do that with a boat. I suggest that, once you get the starter out and you repair whatever caused it to break in the first place, you replace it with a high-torque starter. They're smaller and lighter and might make the next replacement (hopefully, for the next owner) a little easier to accomplish. Good luck. Hy

betayv

hi guys finally starter is out I fight with the starter but finally is out I bought a small 3/8 ratchet to fit under the motor thru the left side with a small extension and the 9/16 socket and welded a piece of ben tube to get more torque and everything fit exactly I guess that will be my tool for replace the starter now here is what I found, I bought this boat in march this year, the starter is a automotive starter not marine from autozone TOTAL GARBAGE I was really **** when i saw that I already order my marine starter from sierra now Im going to replace the cables that are going to the solenoid they kind of old so Im goin to put new ones I will take a pic for you guys thanks.

mthieme

Captain

Wise choices.
How long do you figure it took you get that puppy pulled?

betayv

man that took me like, easy making the tool, and really like looking how to take it out like 8 hours of course not in one day like 3days, and that starter was automotive I have already bought the marine new 1 year warranty 109$

tigress1

Recruit

hi guys finally starter is out I fight with the starter but finally is out I bought a small 3/8 ratchet to fit under the motor thru the left side with a small extension and the 9/16 socket and welded a piece of ben tube to get more torque and everything fit exactly I guess that will be my tool for replace the starter now here is what I found, I bought this boat in march this year, the starter is a automotive starter not marine from autozone TOTAL GARBAGE I was really **** when i saw that I already order my marine starter from sierra now Im going to replace the cables that are going to the solenoid they kind of old so Im goin to put new ones I will take a pic for you guys thanks.
Can you send me a pic or more detail.....I have to replace my starter also and I can not locate the other bolt.....did you also remove the shield that covers the fly wheel acess or will the starter just pull toward the front of the boat and drop out? hobocon@hotmail.com

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

man that took me like, easy making the tool, and really like looking how to take it out like 8 hours....

Now comes the fun job of getting it back in - holding in place while you start the bolts, etc. :D

betayv

I will email you a answer later

Dante04SRT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Be sure to get a good replacement. I bought mine brand new from DB Electrical and was very pleased with it - Cheap too!