the sweetest sound...

sundog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
was that 1978 1150 roaring to life this afternoon. still wont idle well, but I havent adjusted the screws yet after overhauling the carbs. I wanted to thank all the guys on here who posted their probs/solns...reading those definately helped me get this girl going. <br /><br />now- started with muffs on, dosnt seem to be a lot of water streaming out of the pee-hole (I have changed the water pump impeller). there is water comming out above the foot thru vents, and some in the exhaust. is this fairly standard for this engine? the pee-hole is just an indication, I know, but on newer engines this comes out as a stream. can try in the water, but didnt want to rev it and possibly overheat it before I talked with you guys.<br /><br />thanks for that sweet sound!

Clams Canino

Commander
Re: the sweetest sound...

Try cleaning out the peehole wioth wire. They clog. If it has a new impeller correctly installed, then look for a clog in the pee system. I assume you had enough hose pressure.<br /><br />-W

sundog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks, clams, Ill try that. so I take it its supossed to be pissing pretty good (had good hose pressure)? Ill clean the pee system, pull the foot and recheck the impeller, then maybe start it in a tub where I can rev it more.

mnmfors

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just to add....<br /><br />Quote: "there is water comming out above the foot thru vents, and some in the exhaust. is this fairly standard for this engine?"<br /><br />I have had a similar experience with my inline. Sounds like the pump is pumping, just the water is not going where it should.<br /><br />If after checking that tell tale (pee hole) is clear and that didnt solve problem, I would check to be sure that the pickup tube is aligned with the waterpump housing. Also, check for pieces of rubber that may be blocking water flow. <br /><br />BTW, reving it wont fix it :) and not a good idea without a load.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

My tell-tale pressure is dramatically lower on muffs than when the motor is in the water (I have a 69 1250). When you test it in the water, you should notice a strong stream from the tell-tale. Hose pressure often times isn't quite enough. In the water, the pump is under water, which helps greatly with pressure, vs hose pressure which is coming from below the pump, there isn't a perfect seal anyways on the muffs.