How fast does your 4.3L V6 push your boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How fast does your 4.3L V6 push your boat?

Lookin good!!! (would far prefer to be looking at that than my office right now...)

The (absence of) balance shaft is worth another 10 - 20 horsepower depending on who you listen to, so if starting from scratch on building a 4.3 suitable for every day marine use, you're better off to start with a non-balance shaft block / bottom end that is late enough to have the marine roller cam in it (not a bad cam, but clearly became the horsepower limiting component in my v-6 with touched up vortec heads, intake and carb set-up.

Unfortunately, if you already have the balance shaft block, there's not much of a market for performance parts and so there is very little in terms of cam offerings for that lower end. There are a couple of "mild" cams available for the non-balance shaft engine so tere are options of you want to go further thanthe 220 - 240 hp you can get with a little higher compression (shaved heads, thin gasket), well tuned 600 cfm carb, edelbrock performer intake, a few degrees more timing advance (mine ran best a couple degrees past the factory spec, picked up 100 rpms or so wot there), good flowing air cleaner, etc... The caveat to going with a bigger cam is that to get much of a performance gain, pretty soon you're into head work and springs, a performance exhaust, etc... The stock heads are limited to well below .500 lift (more like .460 to be safe from what I understand), AND you start to lose torque on the bottom end of the rpm range... pretty soon you're dealing with a dog out of the hole. When I go to that point, was going to cost as much to wring another 50 horse out of the 4.3 as it would to replace it with a mild 350. of course, like many others on here, I couldn't stop there....

ps. I think I've got specs for the factory cam(s) in my notes somewhere at the house from when we were playing with the 4.3. I'll see if I can dig them up tonight... Someone else on here may have it as well. I remember there being several people on here who had clearly done some major homework on 4.3 builds for marine apps.

The factory, marine, roller cam in the non-balance engine (don't remember if any different from the balance shaft version) is actualy a pretty decent cam for all around performance, and is more agressive than most people realize. but of course could be improved on - especially if the heads were touched up a bit and running a more open intake.

On exhaust, my impression was that there was little to be gained there - perhaps with custom tubular headers, but the cost / benefit would be redicluous... but I did not run aftermarket performance exhaust manifolds and factory set-up side by side and so can't verify that assumption.

cheers!

mylesm260

Chief Petty Officer

My engine does have the balance shaft, and I'm actually running the truck cam which is COLDER than the marine cam.

If you want to know the specs, go do a search in the i/o forum, I Was talking about it in there a while back and someone was nice enough to post all the cam specs to all the different 4.3's over the years, marine and automotive.

I'm also running the automotive "poppit valve" multipoint fuel injection with the automotive PCM (ECU). (don't ask about marine safety ratings, that's a whole other can of worms, go look in the i/o forums for that one too)

I was told that engines perform better in boats because of the lack of things like catylitic converters and mufflers, so I'm guessing my HP is somewhere in the 210-215 HP range. I am virtually identical to the 226 HP GM marine 4.3, except my cam isn't QUITE as hot.

MikDee

Banned

Here's the Specs on the hottest stock factory (roller) cam for the (balance shaft) 4.3V6 as used on the 92-95' Chevy S-10 (stock 4WD) W engine:

'92-'95, Vin W, w/ balance shaft
- Lift (I/E) - .432/.440
- Dur @ .050 (I/E) - .208/.208

Compliments of S-10planet.com Where the only engine that matters is the 4.3V6 ;)

I can't find anything that appears to be a better "Bang for The Buck", least hassle, least invasive item, using all other stock original parts (lifters, springs, retainers, pushrods) then this for the "balance shaft" 4.3V6. It also appears to be stronger then the Merc. marine cam mentioned by wca_tim.

Last edited:

mylesm260

Chief Petty Officer

I *believe* my motor is out of the 97' astro (AWD)... Do I have the same cam?

Are you saying that that cam is hotter than the 226 HP marine cam?

MikDee

Banned

I *believe* my motor is out of the 97' astro (AWD)... Do I have the same cam?
I don't know :confused: this is all the info I have, read on,,,

Are you saying that that cam is hotter than the 226 HP marine cam?

This I don't know either??? As I said, it's like top secret trying to find out that marine cam specs :rolleyes:

Here, I have posted this before:

Factory 4.3L Cam Specs
* '96-'00, VIN W, w/ balance shaft
- Lift (I/E) - .415/.429
- Dur @ .050 (I/E) - .191/.195

* '93-'96, VIN Z, w/ balance shaft
- Lift (I/E) - .376/.402
- Dur @ .050 (I/E) - .183/.193

* '92-'95, Vin W, w/ balance shaft
- Lift (I/E) - .432/.440
- Dur @ .050 (I/E) - .208/.208

* '91-'93, ZR9/Z79, Syclone/Typhoon
- Lift (I/E) - .351/.386
- Dur @ .050 (I/E) - .179/.195 (Ductile)

* '90-'91, VIN Z, Astro/Safari
- Lift (I/E) - .403/.450
- Dur @ .050 (I/E) - .202/.213 (Steel)

* '87-'94, Vin Z, w/o balance shaft
- Lift (I/E) - .351/.386
- Dur @ .050 (I/E) - .179/.195 (Ductile)

(My 95' S-10 2WD has the Vin Z engine)

z284u2try

Petty Officer 3rd Class

53 and change with a garmin gps. Speedo says 57. This was with a couple people on board with 1/2 tank of gas. 23 pitch 3 blade 5000rpm 190 hp 2 barrell 1998 1850 bayliner capri.

New Bob

Recruit

Sea Ray 195 Sport, 190 hp 4.6 L, 30 gallons fuel, one person, 54 MPH on the speedo.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Sea Ray 195 Sport, 190 hp 4.6 L, 30 gallons fuel, one person, 54 MPH on the speedo.

Wow, that is fast. Your 20 footer weighs in just shy of my 18 footer and trounces it by 5 mph. The Ray must have a faster hull. What brand and pitch/material prop are you swinging?

New Bob

Recruit

Well off-hand I don't have the prop specs with me, but it has the standard aluminum prop that came with the boat. I do keep the boat on a lift so the bottom has no crud...that might help. I was also surprised to see the speed, because my 1987 Sting Ray could only get up to around 47 MPH.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Well off-hand I don't have the prop specs with me, but it has the standard aluminum prop that came with the boat. I do keep the boat on a lift so the bottom has no crud...that might help. I was also surprised to see the speed, because my 1987 Sting Ray could only get up to around 47 MPH.

I keep mine in a garage, washed after each use so crud isnt slowing me down. We don't really have much crud in MN to speak of since it's all fresh water. I have a hull called an extended V plane. Essentially all 18' 3" of length are in the water as compared to lots of boats that have a shorter running surface than the LOA. I bet that slows me down. The boat is to me exactly the opposite of a fast hull and is a very old school bottom design but handles well as a trade off.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Wow, that is fast. Your 20 footer weighs in just shy of my 18 footer and trounces it by 5 mph. The Ray must have a faster hull. What brand and pitch/material prop are you swinging?

Keep in mind that he is seeing 54 on the speedo. Not taking anything away from New Bob or his boat, but very few wish-o-meters are accurate. GPS is the only way to know for sure.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

If anybody thinks my numbers are inaccurate. Come to Southern Indiana and take it for a ride. :D

23p mirage..lots of prop for a 4.3 but then again what is you gear ratio....it would be intresting to know the slp number's..:cool:

And your about 600-1000 feet above sea level...

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

23p mirage..lots of prop for a 4.3 but then again what is you gear ratio....it would be intresting to know the slp number's..:cool:

And your about 600-1000 feet above sea level...

Its a 1:81 gear ratio. 0-500 feet above sea level. ;)

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

Bet slip numbers are very low... and that it would go faster with a laser 2 or several others with a little less diameter and blade area than a mirage...

Swishguy

Seaman Apprentice

I have owned 3 boats with 4.3 engines & ran em all on GPS

1996 mariah 190 shabah with 4.3 carb & 19 pitch al....47 mph
2004 glastron mx 185 with 4.3 efi 23 stilletto stainless ....54 mph
2007 Azure 188 elite with 4.3 efi & 19 pitch 4 blade stainless....51 mph.

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have owned 3 boats with 4.3 engines & ran em all on GPS

1996 mariah 190 shabah with 4.3 carb & 19 pitch al....47 mph
2004 glastron mx 185 with 4.3 efi 23 stilletto stainless ....54 mph
2007 Azure 188 elite with 4.3 efi & 19 pitch 4 blade stainless....51 mph.

Gotta LOVE those GLASTRON'S.:D

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Bet slip numbers are very low... and that it would go faster with a laser 2 or several others with a little less diameter and blade area than a mirage...

I have no idea about the slip. I bought a Mirage Plus because of the advice from Brett at BBlades... he knows his stuff when it comes to props. :D

achris

More fish than mountain goat

On the contrary.. His numbers are too high... He's either going quicker than his reported 49MPH (was it GPS) or his tacho is out...

attachment.php

Chris...........

Attachments

• 23 prop.jpg
    23 prop.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 0

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

I thought we were talking about a different boat / numbers. for the 53(+) mph gps, 4900 rpms with a 23" Mirage plus I get ca. 10% slip... Did I miss something?

On the contrary.. His numbers are too high... He's either going quicker than his reported 49MPH (was it GPS) or his tacho is out...

attachment.php

Chris...........

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I thought we were talking about a different boat / numbers. for the 53(+) mph gps, 4900 rpms with a 23" Mirage plus I get ca. 10% slip... Did I miss something?

Those number look spot on.. I put more value in the Angle of Attack than the slip. Slip will vary according to boat configuration, but the angle of attack is a measure of how well the prop is working in the water.. (All the calculation information for this program came from the Merc prop book)

attachment.php

Chris..........
(anybody who'd like a copy of this program, PM me. I will be away from tomorrow for 3 weeks.... I'll answer PMs then)

Attachments

• 23 prop2.jpg
    23 prop2.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.